Done with G9! Major pose distortion issue.

WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,777
edited June 29 in The Commons

Why do poses distort so badly on G9! These are out of the box poses from https://www.daz3d.com/dt-pose-collection-02-for-genesis-8-81-and-9 and https://www.daz3d.com/boudoir-photoshoot-poses-for-genesis-9 Everything distorts like crazy! Why is this happening???

I'm adding up here what I just added below: When I opened a fresh scene earlier with Tabitha 9 out of the box, I had the same issue so wondering if my G9 base is corrupted somehow. The problem was not just with this character and everything under Hidden was 0 and nothing unusual under currently used. 

Update: I tried the base G9 character and have the same issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled Daz Default content, Genesis 9 default content. There is nothing unusual under currently used, and everything under hidden is at 0%.

I do get a duplicate formula warning when opening a G9 character but I get that for G8 too and it doesn't affect anything. 

It seems there are many problems in the log if anyone understands it but don't know how to upload a file here. 

Boudoir Photoshoot 2.JPG
1071 x 1282 - 63K
Boudoir Photoshoot 3.JPG
932 x 1643 - 66K
Boudoir Photoshoot.JPG
1295 x 1761 - 111K
DT Pose Collection. 2.JPG
1139 x 1778 - 147K
DT Pose Collection.JPG
824 x 1785 - 71K
Post edited by Wonderland on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,514

Wonderland said:

Why do poses distort so badly on G9! These are out of the box poses from https://www.daz3d.com/dt-pose-collection-02-for-genesis-8-81-and-9 and https://www.daz3d.com/boudoir-photoshoot-poses-for-genesis-9 Everything distorts like crazy! Why is this happening???

The thighs on this one make me think you've got base joint correctives disabled. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,777
    edited June 27

Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

The thighs on this one make me think you've got base joint correctives disabled. 

No it's at 100%

This is the character. Nothing out of the ordinary. Why do poses distort so much?

Character.JPG
    1278 x 1788 - 103K
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,423

I almost never use G9. All over the sites variouis threads are problems associated with this version. What's even more disturbing is the fact they allowed they products, obviously without testing or they would have seen the problem and insisted it was corrected.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,362
    edited June 28

Is it a character from the store (seems a mixed one from mousso ?) or a customized one ?  It also seems to me an issue of corrective morphs' failure... or distortion comes from other "culprit".

Can you check in Parameters pane with Show Hidden Properties... see if there's any wrong or weird "...cbs..." corrective morphs dialed...? especially with some unexpected character's names ?

Like the attached screenshot, I only dialed mousso's Sarah but Mako's corrective morphs is also triggered, which means it comes from a wrong ERC settings...

SNAG-2024-6-28-094.png
    2018 x 1303 - 383K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,037

That isn't Genesis 9 alone - that is a set of joint corrections for a heavy, muscular, or otherwise bulky character kicking in when the shape they belong to isn't applied. Check your recent character/morph isntallations for updates first, then if that doesn't help apply the minimum pose that will trigger the issue (I should think bending a shin would do), turn on Prferences>Show Hidden Properties in the Parameters pane option menu and look at the Currently used group - one of those is likely to be the issue, try zeroing anything that has a character name as part of its label and see if that fixes the issue.

This can happen with any figure, if it is what I think, and others have had similar issues in the past.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,423

Although valid questions, I wonder why she should even have to, should this not be ready to use out of the box. I don't recall every having to use adjust rigging to shape being part of a character package.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,573

See what's dialed in on hidden morphs. And uninstall that product.

Faeryl Womyn said:

Although valid questions, I wonder why she should even have to, should this not be ready to use out of the box. I don't recall every having to use adjust rigging to shape being part of a character package.

Well, even if an out-of-the-box character has zero issue, other flawed character products can easily bring issues to the former... Usually no Adust rigging... is needed on a character package, but if heavily customizing a character by blending + sculpting, Adjust rigging may be needed. 

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,196

i had a similar problem with a g8 figure.  (the image i posted has disappeared, but like yours, the character's thighs were collapsed like crushed beer cans.

i received several pieces of good advice, including one that fixed the problem.

hope this helps!

j

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/267536/distorted-figure-mesh#latest

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,811

Serene Night said:

See what's dialed in on hidden morphs. And uninstall that product.

"Brevity is the soul of wit." 

edited June 28

Nothing under Hidden, did adjust rigging to shape, still has the problem..Still can't figure out the issue.

edited June 28

I closed the scene. Opened a brand new scene, added Tabitha 9 and bent her leg. What is going on? I just checked G8.1 and the bends are fine. 

Tabitha.JPG
    907 x 1636 - 55K
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,438

As the others have said, you almost certainly have a morph installed where a set of bend correctives for a character are not correctly linked/multiplied by the master body morph for that character. It is in no way a G9 specific issue, and can happen to any base figure

You will have to check the parameters (you will need to show hidden parameters in the pane options, and do it when when the leg is bent so the morphs show up on Currently Used) in order to identify the offending character package. After that, you should then notify the creator about the issue so it can be corrected, and uninstall the package until it's updated.

(It is possible to manually fix the issue, but as you don't seem to already be familiar with the issue, that may be a bit technical).

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,622

But if Wonderland only has this issue with G9, then what's wrong with the original plan of being done with G9?

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,438

1) it's a common error that's usually quite easily resolved, and not worth throwing away your entire G9 collection over.
    2) it can happen to absolutely any base figure if you install a poorly set-up character, and knowing how to identify and resolve it is an important skill.

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 459

It looks like something is creating a negative space instead of the joint correction. If you have any morphs converted to G9 from G8, back them up and remove them. See if one sneaked into G9 proper.

edited June 28

This sort of issue can be easily reproduced by activicating bend morph or corrective morph from other characters. There must be such properties wrongly triggered in hidden properties... if you carefully go it thru.... Attach a full screen shot of the hidden properties if you can, we may help to check...

Or, just go to your Smart Content, select the category "Figures", we probably may identify the suspects... i.e. I don't have this issue on my side, so the characters I don't have might be just the culprit(s).

SNAG-2024-6-28-095.png
    2559 x 1390 - 543K

I checked under hidden and under currently used and there was nothing unusual. I'm rendering a G8 right now (that to me looks better in every possible way) so will have to try a G9 again when I'm done. When I opened a fresh scene earlier with Tabitha 9 out of the box, I had the same issue so wondering if my G9 base is corrupted somehow. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,514

The trick to debugging a corruption like this is that you're not necessarily looking for non-DEFAULT values, you're looking for non-ZERO values, even if they're marked as default.

edited June 28

Wonderland said:

I checked under hidden and under currently used and there was nothing unusual. I'm rendering a G8 right now (that to me looks better in every possible way) so will have to try a G9 again when I'm done. When I opened a fresh scene earlier with Tabitha 9 out of the box, I had the same issue so wondering if my G9 base is corrupted somehow. 

I personally don't think your G9 Base is corrupted as per the current situation... but you may easily try re-installing G9 starter essentials first of all, then press F2 in DS, Clear DSON Cache Files. Load a G9 Base, bend the left shin to see if it's wrong or not...

If the issue persists, the culprit definitely comes from other character(s). Check what characters you've installed recently... you may just enter the character's name into the filter field in Parameters pane (with Show Hidden Properties On), one by one, then you should easily find the properties with non-zeroed value(s) dialed.

• Lyrra MadrilLyrra Madril Posts: 270

When you install a new character for a base figure what you actuyally get in the box are morphs, textures, and a character preload. That means that the component morphs go into your main base figure installation and add to whatever is already there. The character preload is simply a preset to make it simpler for you to quickly load the character as the creator intended it.

When a creator makes a figure shape they very often have to make corrective morphs so that it will move and bend naturally.  So most figure shapes have not just the base shape, but also a pile of correctives.  Unfortunately, it is very easy to mess up the programming on the correctives so they turn on at times when they are not needed. (I've done this myself, it happens)

That is most likely the issue you are getting here.

Another common issue is caused by a character preset that the maker has not set up correctly - if they used Adjust Rigging To Shape, or some other method that changed the base rigging from default, and you then attempt to use shapes on that loaded figure that assume a differrent rigging configuration,  You will get a mess. 

DAZ shapes are generally tested for both issues, but if you have any and I mean any genesis 9 morphs - full or partial figure, you have picked up from elsewhere, they may be a source of your problems.  I have seen a lot of messy setups, since not everyone is completely familiar with the more advanced morph setup process.

As has been said - I would load a plain base genesis 9 and apply poses. When something looks weird look at all morphs currently active on the whole figure. You should have just the base correctives, but I expect you have some non base correctives also firing off randomly. You will need to identify and either fix or remove the associated product entirely from your content folder / genesis 9 figure setup.

People forget sometimes that it isnt Character A and Character B and Character C as separate discrete branches off the figure.  its just one single Genesis 9 installation, with presets for ABC.  Every character adds to the base install - so if one is coded badly, it messes up the whole base install.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,063

Gordig said:

The trick to debugging a corruption like this is that you're not necessarily looking for non-DEFAULT values, you're looking for non-ZERO values, even if they're marked as default.

This is key because if you check under hidden > currently used, they might not show up even though they are indeed distorting your figure.

A possible solution if you don't want to uninstall characters yourself through DIM, would be to:

1. Save the faulty scene (the character posed showing the issue).

2. Then use this product: https://www.daz3d.com/turbo-loader-for-genesis-9 to uninstall some character morphs for now.

3. Then shut down DAZ, reopen, and see if you get an error when opening the scene. If it shows you are missing products you weren't even dialing in, you will know those products are faulty and would need to be corrected.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,892

@Wonderland, thank you for bringing this up. I had something happen to Lianna 9 on my Win 10 laptop that seems similar, but rather to her upper chest, shoulder and arm. So bad it deformed two different outfits. Taking it back to the A pose didn't help. This thread gives me some ideas to check on that computer. I checked her out on my Win 11 and she had no issues, after running her through a number of different pose sets. And that was after I saw all the renders folks had with no issues. Now I have a clue with all the help that was posted here. Thank you and everyone else.

Mary

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,799
    edited June 28

For testing purposes, load G9 into an empty scene, "Zero the Figure", bend the leg, enable "Show hidden" and check "Currently used".

The active correction morphs (on the Currently Used list) should show a value, and if there are dials with value "0" (zero) shown in white, their default value is something other than zero.
    Changing the value of the active or zero-value correction morphs should help you track down the rogue morph

Post edited by PerttiA on

PerttiA said:

For testing purposes, load G9 into an empty scene, "Zero the Figure", bend the leg, enable "Show hidden" and check "Currently used".

The active correction morphs (on the Currently Used list) should show a value, and if there are dials with value "0" (zero) shown in white, their default value is something other than zero.
    Changing the value of the active or zero-value correction morphs should help you track down the rogue morph

Thanks. I did all that. Reinstalled Genesis 9 essentials and Daz default items. Loaded base G9 and still have the problem. Current shows nothing unusual. Everything under Hidden is at 0%. The log shows tons of WARNINGs but I don't know how to upload that here in the forums and don't know what any of it means or how to fix it. 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,303

Wonderland said:

PerttiA said:

Thanks. I did all that. Reinstalled Genesis 9 essentials and Daz default items. Loaded base G9 and still have the problem. Current shows nothing unusual. Everything under Hidden is at 0%. The log shows tons of WARNINGs but I don't know how to upload that here in the forums and don't know what any of it means or how to fix it. 

Yep, that won't fix the problem; most likely, you have a defective character that is triggering the deformation.  How about copying a small chunk of the warnings (which shouldn't be there at all and strongly hints at a defective character) so we can see what might be happening?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,324

Trying to find that needle in the haystack might be a waste of time. Have you tried uninstalling G9 characters and morph packs in reverse order that you installed them? It is obviously something that you have installed that is mis-behaving. Even if you do manage to find the problematic product, you will most likely have to uninstall it anyway.

The fastest way is to uninstall half and see if the problem goes away. If not, you know it is in the other half. Uninstall half ot the rest.

If the problem was in one of those from the first half, re-install half of them and see if it comes back. If so, uninstall half of them, etc.

Repeat the process, checking each half of the remainder until you find the one. Even if you have 128 products with morphs, it will only take eight passes to get down to one. Don't forget to purge memory between loads, or restart Studio each time.

edited June 30

Wonderland said:

PerttiA said:

I second NorthOf45's suggestion..as I said before, just check the characters you've installed recently... Half / half method turns out to pretty effective. Besides, DS log won't give you clues for this sort of issue ~~

However, I really wonder about what you said : Everything under Hidden is at 0% ...  for instance if you bend Base figure's Left Shin as before, there should be at least two corrective morphs triggred with non-zero values.

SNAG-2024-6-30-005.png
    1833 x 1305 - 174K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,037
    edited June 30

Wonderland said:

PerttiA said:

We are not asking you to look in the Hiden group, we are asking you to open the pane's option menu (the lined/hamburger buutton in the top corner), then the Preferences sub-menu in that, and to enable (check) Show Hidden Properties - then, with the distortion showing, look under Currently Used.

Show Hidden Properties.jpg
    531 x 626 - 71K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on