The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823

A $500 microwave?... surprise
    I bought one for my mom a few months ago for around $60

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,325

We've had enough spark like that to want to use cheap ones.

I think what causes the sparking is a breakdown of the insulation in the magnetron. Once the insulation is gone, it needs re-winding. The net result it's cheaper to replace than repair.

Regards,

Richard

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,528
    edited May 29

Is this a crime? It really feels like a crime.

crime.PNG
    1008 x 539 - 494K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,325
    edited May 29

Yeah, very suspicious.  I'd report it to someone who knows what to do.  A bank manager?  The Treasury Department?  But if you see an ad for the appropriate paper, let me know.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

Yeah, very suspicious.  I'd report it to someone who knows what to do.  A bank manager?  The Treasury Department?  But if you see an ad for the appropriate paper, let me know.devil

Believe it or not, this is the Secret Service's purview.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,893

PerttiA said:

I heard on a radio ad that a replacement tv is over a thousand dollars.  That seems too expensive too.  I never paid that much for a tv but then I never had space for a Jumbotron!

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,388

Gordig said:

Is this a crime? It really feels like a crime.

I love the disclaimer. Use At Your Own Risk. The creation or possession of any instrument used to produce counterfeit currency, such as metal plates used to print bills, is also considered a counterfeiting offense.

edited May 30

Gordig said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Is that one of their service secrets?wink  Or is that an unsecret service of the Secret Service?

Sfariah D said:

PerttiA said:

I heard on a radio ad that a replacement tv is over a thousand dollars.  That seems too expensive too.  I never paid that much for a tv but then I never had space for a Jumbotron!

Ok, I forgot... Everything* is bigger in...
    *Except for the electrical power

The microwave must be big enough to cook a whole cowcheeky

Don't want to complain, but...

Last week the temperatures were still below freezing when I went to work in the morning.
    Now we have had temperatures between 25C to 30C (77F to 86F) for 5 days in a row and no change in sight for a week.

We haven't had any rain in May, but I'm still soaking wet even if I start thinking... One just can't adjust this fast.

What is the difference between counterfeit money and fake money for movies and plays?

Sfariah D said:

What is the difference between counterfeit money and fake money for movies and plays?

The prop bills I have seen (pictures of) had something like "Prop money" printed on them 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,644

PerttiA said:

Last week the temperatures were still below freezing when I went to work in the morning.
    Now we have had temperatures between 25C to 30C (77F to 86F) for 5 days in a row and no change in sight for a week.

We haven't had any rain in May, but I'm still soaking wet even if I start thinking... One just can't adjust this fast.

We are getting rain pratically every darn day, so my back, legs and knees are killing me. Been in the upper 80F's the last couple weeks except for yesterday and today where it's low 60F's. We are suppose to be in the lower-mid 70's and not start seeing 80's till mid June

frank0314 said:

PerttiA said:

We are getting rain pratically every darn day, so my back, legs and knees are killing me. Been in the upper 80F's the last couple weeks except for yesterday and today where it's low 60F's. We are suppose to be in the lower-mid 70's and not start seeing 80's till mid June

It's not unusual to have a dry spell in May, up to midsummer festivities (June 21-23), but usually it's just a tad over 20C (68F) in here at this time.

I have an industrial ventilator drawing air into the house from a window facing east and it manages to keep the inside temperature below 25C (77F) even with the computer heating the place up, but now the ventilator is ruining my hairdo - The two hairs on top gets tangled together blush

Non-complaint:  I complained a few days about about the neighbor (next house east) who had a tree removed and that it left an ugly scene when done.  The ugliness was because the removed tree had been crowding a big pine tree next to it, causing 1/3rd of the lower half of the remaining tree to be essentially nakedly brown limbs & twigs.  But now, just a few days later, the naked brown limbs & twigs are sprouting new, pale green needles.  It looks as if the tree will look normal by the end of the summer.  Ain't nature amazing! yes

edited May 29

Tropical smoothie cafe is having a free smoothie day.  Didn't realize they wanted flip flops to get the free smoothie.  I hate flip flops because I don't like them on my feet.

I walked in 83 degrees weather to the nearest dollar tree and grabbed a pair of flip flops for $1.34:  I walked back to tropical smoothie cafe and showed them the sandals.  I asked if I need to wear them. I must look hot so the guy at the entrance said no.  I showed them the flip flops and got the free smoothie.  The taxi I used was waiting for me.

why didn't I use the taxi to get to dollar tree.  One it wasn't part of the route and two he already temporarily left.

trying to attach a photo of the sandals and me in the taxi.

edit I don't want these sandals on my feet but they would go great on my mum's feet.

IMG_2002.jpeg
    480 x 640 - 102K
    IMG_1998.jpeg
    240 x 320 - 52K
    Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,628

PerttiA said:

Sfariah D said:

PerttiA said:

Ok, I forgot... Everything* is bigger in...
    *Except for the electrical power

The microwave must be big enough to cook a whole cowcheeky

That's what it is. I always bring our cow in to see if it fits in the microwave to make sure it's big enough. Then on the way out of the microwave, I hold a cardboard moon for the cow to jump over.

https://www.costco.com/frigidaire-gallery-1.9-cu.-ft.-over-the-range-microwave-with-sensor-cook.product.4000272589.html

LeatherGryphon said:

Gordig said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Is that one of their secrets?wink  Or is that an unsecret service of the Secret Service?

Combatting counterfeiting is actually what the Secret Service was created to do; acting as bodyguards for elected officials came later. Also, I've seen recruiting ads for the Secret Service on YouTube, so they're certainly not trying that hard to remain secret.

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  I complained a few days about about the neighbor (next house east) who had a tree removed and that it left an ugly scene when done.  The ugliness was because the removed tree had been crowding a big pine tree next to it, causing 1/3rd of the lower half of the remaining tree to be essentially nakedly brown limbs & twigs.  But now, just a few days later, the naked brown limbs & twigs are sprouting new, pale green needles.  It looks as if the tree will look normal by the end of the summer.  Ain't nature amazing! yes

One of the things I've noticed about our backyard is the evergreen trees grow easier than anything else. And this isn't some questionable story like the thing about the hatching asteroids. I see those things sprouting as I mow. If I never mowed, the backyard would probably eventually turn into an evergreen forest. Maybe that's what it was before people got there. 

I found a shirt long time ago on Wish.  It is a green shirt with the number 12 on it.  It also has yellow trim on it.  I'm pretending it is a football jersey.  Did I make up football?

IMG_2019.jpeg
    480 x 640 - 146K
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,223
    edited May 31

PerttiA said:

Sfariah D said:

The prop bills I have seen (pictures of) had something like "Prop money" printed on them 

Yes, fake money used for plays or movies typically either is only printed on one side, or includes a graphic element that makes it clear it's fake (like a "for motion pictures only" mention) but that you wouldn't spot from a distance.

Post edited by Leana on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,223

Not really a complaint, more like a "WTF moment":

Today, my team's leader at work announced that he will be leaving the company, so that he can "take over his family's business empire"
    I'm not really going to miss him as my boss (though the fact that he's leaving will cause a mess and I'm not exactly happy about that), but that sentence felt completely surreal, like I was thrown into a TV drama laugh You don't really expect to hear that IRL, except maybe as a joke (which it wasn't, as it happens his family really does own a business empire).

Complaint; Wanted to download fresh copies of all the UltraScenery files, but the downloads are crawling... An hour for 160MB's frown

I want to take a nap, but I need to organize my room and put away laundry.

edited May 31

Leana said:

Not really a complaint, more like a "WTF moment":

Today, my team's leader at work announced that he will be leaving the company, so that he can "take over his family's business empire"
    I'm not really going to miss him as my boss (though the fact that he's leaving will cause a mess and I'm not exactly happy about that), but that sentence felt completely surreal, like I was thrown into a TV drama laugh You don't really expect to hear that IRL, except maybe as a joke (which it wasn't, as it happens his family really does own a business empire).

Well, that's probably a little better way to say it rather than, "Hey, I just won a billion dollars in the lottery, I'm quitting and dropping you all in the poo I made of the project." 

Non-complaint:  Today's the first day that my twice broken pinky toe could be forgotten for a few times during the day.  Swelling has gone down.  Just a persistent dull ache, exacerbated only by careless walking.

Complaint:  Had to walk up to the grocery store today.  Did some careless walking.crying

• Complaint: It's now much, much easier to find tires and tubes for my 40-year-old Nishiki 12-speed than it is to find the same for my 15-year-old Gary Fisher mountain bike.

The industry standard moved from 26-inch rims to 27.5-inch rims a while back. Not a single LBS in my area stocks the smaller size now. Just spent most of the day driving from one to the other.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,766
    edited June 1

...finally caught up.

Complaint:

Had little accident, was  sitting in  a chair and dropped something.  Leaning down quickly to pick it up, lost my balance and bumped my forehead as well as sprained my thumb (which makes using the space bar a little tricky) trying to break the fall.  So have two small scrapes on the forehead and am wearing a brace on the left hand.  Not serious, but it is a bit of an inconvenience.

It also doesn't help that the space bar on the keyboard is sticking.

Ever since a nasty fall several years ago, if I change position up or down too quickly, my balance goes a bit out of whack for a moment. When I get up in the morning I have to sit one the edge of the bed for a few moments before I stand up.

Non Complaint:

Oh, one good thing, "Payday" came yesterday instead of (tomorrow..  My normal SS deposit day is the 3rd (Monday) and a couple months ago my bank announced it was giving me an advance credit 2 days early (which would made it the 1st).  Nice to get it 4 days early.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited June 1

"The Old Folks Aches & Pains, Complaint Thread"blush

Non-Complaint; It's the end of spring semester, and the youngsters are gathering in the beaches and parks to celebrate (getting drunk and making a mess of themselves and the surroundings)
    Now the police have found an effective youth-repellent... They are playing classical music at the beaches and parks => No more young people there laugh

I would be on the beach naked, doing the dance of the sugar plum fairy.