Carrara Challenge #22: “Wild, Wild West” - WIP Thread

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited February 2016

Here is the next interation of the Saloon picture.

The ladies red dress was a real pain until i reallized that it is a shader issue as well if you fit to Gen to lady  it will crash Carrara.

Little poke through to get rid of and some hair for the lady.

saloon 1.jpg
    1900 x 1957 - 339K
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

just one little thing

a lot of the models are using the same pose

edited February 2016

Although they were posed manually now I see what you are talking about.

I will have to add some different variety to the poses.

It is slowly coming along.

Now to figure out where Chickenman should be. Seated playing poker, comining in the door,standing by the Bar?

Then drop in the outdoor items you can see through the windows and door.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

If anyone can remember back to the beginning of the month (or just look through the WIP thread smiley ), I started putting together a frontier scene.  Flintlock rifle, AM's wolf with custom Carrara hair, a distant riverside backgound scene, a genesis-based cowboy with its face removed to show a robot, and now.... (can you hear the drum roll?)

The start of a custom fur trapper.

Guess what they all add up to?  No, really, try to guess.  I need some ideas by this weekend.

Fur Trapper Test Render.jpg
    480 x 640 - 18K
    fur trapper custom.JPG
    956 x 883 - 94K
    edited February 2016

Here is the last update to the Outdoor Scene.

wild wild west outdoor FinalLast 1.jpg
    1920 x 1464 - 2M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

the wagon in backgroung  is up in the air

Thanks I never noticed it. I gues another render of that scene is in order. We will get it right yet.

I did notice when I load the scene that it is about 6Gb in size according to windows task manager but after rendering it went down to 2.7 Gb.

Not wure what is up with that.

I also noticed if I try to save the image uncompressed I  cant open it later.

Still working on the Saloon Scene adding more details like bottles on the Bar.

• Just a little reminder for ya all, some time tonite I will make a post where final entries are gonna be, that DOES NOT mean that this WIP section is gonna be closed, WIP section will be open till entries post closes and turns into voting threads post.

Cheers smiley

some updates to the fur trapper.

- gloves

- Carrara hair for beard and mustache

- Carrara hair for eyebrows

- Carrara hair for a fur shawl

- French fur trapper hat

Plans

- use Carrara hair on large setting to create a leather fringe for fur jacket and sides of pants

- use morphs to create folds and wrinkles

- improve eyeballs

fur trapper update.jpg
    480 x 640 - 13K
    edited February 2016

Still work to do but here is another saloon test render.

Some things to clean up yet and maybe add some other stuff.

saloon light test5.jpg
    1900 x 1957 - 344K
    edited February 2016

Chickenman makes his entrance!  The scene is really coming along.  Compare your most recent with the first indoor scene that you posted.  My one little suggestion would be to check the poker chips on the (viewer's) right side of the table.  It may be a trick of the shader for the table top, but some of them look like they may be floating.  If this is a recurring problem, you might enable collision detection and then make sure various props are on their respective tables, and then disable again. 

My custom fur trapper's hat looks too much like a Christmas hat, I think.  It needs major adjustment..  Might replace with a raccoon-tailed hat, but not sure.  Also, I am trying to use Carrara hair with the very large setting to create the leather fringe for the jacket on the sleeves and the edge of the mantle.  I think the beard and eyebrows are working OK if I create some length/density variation with the shader.  Lots of uses for hair in this scene so far so rendering might be a b!tch.

Here is an update with some inspirational pics (not quite the same as true referece pics).

french wip with hair.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
    frenchman 1 bust.jpg
    570 x 855 - 70K
    frenchman 2.jpg
    450 x 345 - 99K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 8,009
    edited February 2016

ditto what diomede said... awesome work and great seeing it being developed from your first one to now..

@chickenman if I can suggest an addition to your scene it would be some atmosphere... maybe a bit of smoke lingering around and also those chips do look a bit magical hovering above the table, though it could be the shadow from the glass that makes it look like that, maybe switch the glass to the other side.. ;-)

also the poker player in the dark suit, his jacket disapears into his leg... and the fella on the back table with blue jeans on has his hand going thru his leg.. ouch..

great work

and the lady with a bag over her head.... ooooooooo... :-)

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited February 2016
    Stezza said:

ditto what diomede said... awesome work and great seeing it being developed from your first one to now..

@chickenman if I can suggest an addition to your scene it would be some atmosphere... maybe a bit of smoke lingering around and also those chips do look a bit magical hovering above the table, though it could be the shadow from the glass that makes it look like that, maybe switch the glass to the other side.. ;-)

also the poker player in the dark suit, his jacket disapears into his leg... and the fella on the back table with blue jeans on has his hand going thru his leg.. ouch..

great work

and the lady with a bag over her head.... ooooooooo... :-)

The hovering poker chips are actually the shadow from the shot glass so I move it to the other side of the table already. i am trying to get everything into the scene, then fix the collisions and poke through. I was thinking about a bit of smoke but may have to try it in Photoshop or Howler. Need to learn those programs so maybe.

The lady does not have a bag over her head but in fact has some really long hair I am going to rotate her head a bit more so you can see part of her face.

Currently rendering out the final cut on the ourdoor scene.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Looking a lot better. Seems to be nearly finished to me. Below are my suggestions/critique which I imagine you are already wanting to improve.

a) Person seated at table in front of entrance, stage right, needs a touch more light. Even in enlarged pic it's barely evident that he has hair and not a black hood over head.
    b) Across from him at table, stage left, Female's hair/scarf? looks too dull. Change to another color/or textured. Also turn her head a bit to give some face view while still appearing as if talking/facing other Female at table.
    c) Parts of ceiling look entirely dark/black. add another light or more before final render.
    d) Add just a bit of reflectivity to mirror behind bartender. It should show the bottles in it... they look like just shadows.
    f) Fellow just inside doors who looks like robber with bandanna has no eyes/brows/upper nose above bandanna and hat is floating above head.

Please disregard any mentioned, I've probably not read most recent or forgotten older posts.

edited February 2016

When does the "Carrara Challenge #22...." end? I thought it only lasted until the end of January so didn't start/attempt anything. How often are the "Carrara Challenges" and how long do they last?

Post edited by wgdjohn on

@chickenman... doing great work.. a lot of interaction happening

the ladies hair then has a texture issue as it comes out looking like a bag.. keep at it yes

@wgdjohn

check out the first post in this thread.. all the details are there including start & finish times ect..

The challenges usually start soon after the finish of the previous one.. with dates decided by the hoster of the challenge.. wink

wgdjohn said:

Looking a lot better. Seems to be nearly finished to me. Below are my suggestions/critique which I imagine you are already wanting to improve.

a) Person seated at table in front of entrance, stage right, needs a touch more light. Even in enlarged pic it's barely evident that he has hair and not a black hood over head.
    b) Across from him at table, stage left, Female's hair/scarf? looks too dull. Change to another color/or textured. Also turn her head a bit to give some face view while still appearing as if talking/facing other Female at table.
    c) Parts of ceiling look entirely dark/black. add another light or more before final render.
    d) Add just a bit of reflectivity to mirror behind bartender. It should show the bottles in it... they look like just shadows.
    f) Fellow just inside doors who looks like robber with bandanna has no eyes/brows/upper nose above bandanna and hat is floating above head.

Please disregard any mentioned, I've probably not read most recent or forgotten older posts.

Glad for the feedback

A and B) I was already looking at changing her head rotation to show some face but wanted to see how her hair would render out. May just turn th ewhole tabe group slightly.

C) I was trying to show the lighting irregularities of the wall sconces you would naturely get from that type of lighting which does not iluminate everywhere which helps with the atmosphere effects i think especially if I get some smoke added in.

D) This was the first test render with the bottles so was wondering how reflective i had it. But it has proven not to be as reflective as I hoped.

F) The person Just inside the door is my Character Chickenman so has noe eyebrows ect but I have already moved him to better show off his character.

Now that the final render of the outdoor scene is complete I can get it posted tonight and concentrate on this one. It took 3 hrs to render at high settings.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

working on the Sheriff's office.

i added flame to the desk lanterns.  discovered can specify box, cylinder, spherical for the flame. 

doesn't look like there are bars for the windows. band on the run.  
    if i'd a test rendered this first, would've modeled bars instead of the deputy badge.
    should be fairly painless to add a few cylinders.

doc6.JPG
    1060 x 728 - 157K
    banditos.png
    956 x 400 - 440K
    Doc5.jpg
    956 x 400 - 44K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

@chickenman very impressive scene, it's a bij job yo get so many figures in a scene and get them looking 'just right' I like stezza's suggestion of adding atmopshere

@diomede superbe as always!! love the references and how you are using them

@MistyMist those last two renders are singing band on the run :)

@MistyMist all you need now is the jailer man and sailor Sam searching every one devil

edited February 2016

In this one I have tried to use a cloud to simulate the smoke.

saloon light test8.jpg
    1900 x 1957 - 332K
    edited February 2016

Second try with smaller clouds for smoke.

Now to adjust chickenman abit to look better.

saloon light test9.jpg
    1900 x 1957 - 2M

the next challenge should be all about that wonderfull white winged warrior that graced our radio stations way back when.....

bring back Benton Harbor smiley

looking good @chickenman

don't forget the pokethru yes

C) I was trying to show the lighting irregularities of the wall sconces you would naturely get from that type of lighting which does not iluminate everywhere which helps with the atmosphere effects i think especially if I get some smoke added in.

c) It is daylight outside and there is light that the 3 windows and doorway provide.
    Please forgive me for "f)" I realized my error upon seeing your final for the outside scene yesterday. What a dummy I am!

Coming together better each time.

While the smoke may be coming from the use of the wall sconces I would add a cigar for perhaps one of the gamblers which would explain the smoke. In many westerns I picture Clint Eastwood with a cigar in the corner of his mouth. I grabbed a free one elsewhere awhile back. There are a few here at DAZ that require buying other things just to get the cigar.

Awkk... just noticed that there is no Deck of Cards... guess the gamblers are only using 10 cards. :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2016

Add a bit more vertical depth to the smoke - at the moment I think it lacks volume. I think you can afford to spread it over more of the ceiling too.

Looks good though :)

Edit: I reckon one of the other players should be hiding something under the table . . . ;)

Post edited by TangoAlpha on

Just a gentle reminder that the entry thread closes and voting begins on Monday the 8th (approaching).  There are some great WIPs that I haven't seen updated recently or entered in the entry thread yet.    Hope no one forgets this time around.

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Sunday, January 3, 2016
    Entry Thread Opens: Tusday, February 2, 2016
    Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Monday, February 8, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Sunday, February 14, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

• Yep, what diomede said wink

wgdjohn said:

Coming together better each time.

While the smoke may be coming from the use of the wall sconces I would add a cigar for perhaps one of the gamblers which would explain the smoke. In many westerns I picture Clint Eastwood with a cigar in the corner of his mouth. I grabbed a free one elsewhere awhile back. There are a few here at DAZ that require buying other things just to get the cigar.

Awkk... just noticed that there is no Deck of Cards... guess the gamblers are only using 10 cards. :)

Up at the Bar there is a Cowboy with a Pipe. Will be adding something else yet.

I have been looking at the http://www.daz3d.com/feralfey-s-poker-play which is the set I used but need to find the deck morph they talk about. 

Add a bit more vertical depth to the smoke - at the moment I think it lacks volume. I think you can afford to spread it over more of the ceiling too.

Looks good though :)

Edit: I reckon one of the other players should be hiding something under the table . . . ;)

Already thinking of that we will see what comes out from under the table.

I am still playing with the smoke to get it to what I think I like.

edited February 2016

This is a test of the leather fringe of the frontiersman jacket. I have a base rigging for the trapper character.  I wanted to see how the fringe on the sleeves behaved when the arms were posed.   I am still working on the various parts, but I always save a version of the character group with an unattached model and bone structure so the model can be adjusted.   I think the jacket is working pretty well, and the neck turns without distorting the head, and the hat is improved, but the thighs need to have the bone influences adjusted and the gloves look spindly.  Unfortunatley, with time running out and tomorrow devoted to the Super Bowl, I may have to prioritize which scene elements get the remainder of my attention.  The rifle isn't even half finished.

fur trapper rigged 1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 28K
    Post edited by Diomede on