Carrara Challenge #22: “Wild, Wild West” - WIP Thread

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Another thought when it comes to the sherriff's badge: Text is not just for writing! There are 5-pointed stars in Wingdings, and if you browse a fonts site such as dafont.com (other sites are available), you can find all sorts of shapes & symbols in the dingbats section. Use as text primitives or convert to vertex . . . But do check the usage rights for any fonts you download, as competitions are often considered to be "commercial".

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

great idea tango and diomede and mysty

here's my attempt rough and ready 

using displacement maps :)

Doc4.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 107K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    MistyMist said:

wonderin if i can boolean text primitive to 'etch'  'deputy sheriff' into the badge mesh, but would have to curve the text first ...

Misty, That's how I would approach the etching you want. I'd probably do them one letter at a time.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks.smiley

been saving the badge every step, basically.  going back to before the subdivide.  edge loop isnt looping, goes off in tangents, dont think is healthy

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

Cool work, Y'all!!!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited January 2016

I think this one is done.  I may have gone a little crazy on the post-work but a bunch of Ron's brushes were on sale this weekend and I had to play with them after I bought them. laugh

Here's the raw render straight out of Carrara:

Cowboy3000 - no postwork

And the final post-worked version:

Cowboy3000 - final with post

Final_NoPostwork_2000px.jpg
    2000 x 1550 - 387K
    Final_Entry_2000px.jpg
    2000 x 1550 - 443K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Nice work Mark.

edited January 2016

Here is a test of the light rig I am using for tha Saloon scene.

saloon light test1.jpg
    1920 x 1500 - 330K
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

Here is a test of the light rig I am using for tha Saloon scene

to bright for me

edited January 2016
    bigh said:

Here is a test of the light rig I am using for tha Saloon scene

to bright for me

I agree with bigh, it looks too bright for my tastes too; there don't seem to be any shadows.and it makes it look like everything is floating above the floor.  IF you have ambient light turned up, I would start by turning it very low or off to start. I think for an interior old west saloon you want much less light than this.

Check out this image from 1906 https://ohiohistory.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/mss1138av_b04f07_01.jpg - it's not really an old west saloon but it was the first google hit I saw that kind of illustrated what I wanted to say.  I think they are being lit up by a camera flash and even with that look at how dark the shadows on the front of the bar are. And this is with electric lighting; before that I think most of the light during the day would have been what is coming in the window and door with just some fill coming from a few oil lamps.  Even in modern buildings, think about how long it takes your eyes to adjust to the lower light when you come in on a bright day.

I would take this opportunity to re-watch your favorite western and when they do a saloon scene, pause it a few times and take some notes on how it is lit. laugh

edited January 2016

@chickenman Here's a quick example of how I would approach lighting the saloon interior.  Obviously this is just the way I'd do it and others might approach it differentlyand it may not suit what you are going for at all but something I always try to think about, and then usually fail miserably at, is that getting some cool and dramatic shadows in there can really make an image.

I tried to roughly approximate your camera angle to show what I mean.  Here I have two bulb lights, one in the center of the room about 20' up to represent a chandalier type light and one place near the bar wall about 1/4 of the way from the back wall.  All the other lighting comes from the sunlight, which is cranked to 400% and the skylight which is at 250%. Both the bulbs have range falloff set to 100% and are a very pale yellowish color, the ceiling one has a range of 50' and the wall one has a range of 35'. I'd probably play with it a bit more to try and really blow out the outside lighting (I would do most of this in post-work, but if you have a lot of patience for test rendering to get the right settings you could do it with the glare filter too) and maybe fiddle with the sun angle to get some really cool light being cast on the floor.  You could maybe add some additional copies of the wall light around the room's perimeter if that is too dim for you. Add a little key-lighting to whatever your focal point is and voila! laugh

SaloonLighting.jpg
    640 x 465 - 29K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Chickenman, try testing your light rig with the scene's ambient light turned off. That may help with the shadows and brightness.

To turn off the ambient light, select Scene in the instances tray, and under the Effects tab select Ambient and set the slider to 0%.

edited January 2016

Another attempt at playing with lighting. using candles to represent the wall sconces I will have to create.

When I get the lighting working i will add the rest of the items to the scene ......... just to keep the suspense.

saloon light test2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 349K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

much better

bigh said:

much better

I agree - that's an amazing difference from the first render!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

Here is the start of a classic pinup.  It is all kit-bashed Daz stuff, except the book, and even that has a (placeholder) pulp cover from pulp.net.  I am loving Naomi hair.  Could have her kneeling on a bed with a pair of glasses next to the book.

pulp wip pinup.jpg
    480 x 640 - 25K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i've always loved the bar in the saloon. adding real reflections to the mirror.

thinkin of going with the Sheriff's office. yeah, why not lol  smiley

diomede said:

Here is the start of a classic pinup.  It is all kit-bashed Daz stuff, except the book, and even that has a (placeholder) pulp cover from pulp.net.  I am loving Naomi hair.  Could have her kneeling on a bed with a pair of glasses next to the book.

thats excellent diomede

edited January 2016

Here is anouther test render for lighting. still working on it.

must figure out what is doing on with the wall sconce by the door seems to be iluminating the wall wierdly.

Seem to have a little issue in that any item in the scene i select I cant move. I can only move the hot point.

so I can't move the floating objects down to the table.

saloon light test3.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 278K

lots of atmopshere slowly building Chickenman!

sounds like you have caps lock on?

(other reasons things wont move : collison on, constraints set to full, parented to another figure, not choosing the right element in the hierachy to move )

Yes the Cap locks could very well have been on as I was playing Word of Tanks just before that.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2016

Here I have come up with something, if nothing else .. wild

So this is the Wild West, some other place. After all, Space, the final frontier.

Doc1red.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 934K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2016

For the background planet, I used the Saturn Scene (that comes with Carrara) with a new planet-texture. This I rendered out as a 5000x2500 picture, usinge a spherical camera.

Using this picture as a background map, and a realistic sky, as atmosphere.

For the ferns and the fern-tree, I modeled a fern leave in the vertex modeler and saving this in the object browser.

I could then load this as a leaf in the plant modeler.

pic01.jpg
    253 x 627 - 55K
    pic02.jpg
    773 x 578 - 230K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

What's the process to post an image ?

I put the root in the url tab but I don't see any preview.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    DUDU said:

What's the process to post an image ?

I put the root in the url tab but I don't see any preview.

attach the image using the attach command under the type panel, then make the post.   Click to ecit the post and select the attachment thumbnail to bring it up to full size, right click on that to "Copy image location"  That image location can then be put in the image tab from the rich text editor tools above the typing panel

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited January 2016

ChickenMan, your scene looks like this one I made for my film in progress.

Good work !

(I hope the image is posted, thanks Chohole)

Plan 36 (0-00-07-02).jpg
    1050 x 576 - 378K
    Post edited by DUDU on
    edited January 2016

Chickenman, the room looks very dramatic and the poker game makes for great interest.  Love seeing the evolution.  Varsel, very happy to see you joining the fun - excellent, as always.  I am making a note of that particlar leaf method. 

I am thinking this pinup is just about complete. 

I inserted a plane as a shadow catcher but left the background as a formula.  Not that this is in that class, but I noticed similar shadows/backgrounds in some Elvgren pinups.  I also used the formula background as global illumination sky light.  I rendered a separate simple Western couple to use as the cover for a book.  The book is a simple 8.5 x 11 vertex cube with a couple of extrusions to create covers.  The simple render is applied to the front cover and then I used a white-ish color gradient driven by the wires function to make it look like it had paper.  Otherwise, lots of content.  The pinup's hair is "swept away" by Naomi.  The figure is the G2F with a customized version of the skin texture maps that come with the Callie 6 Alani character by RazielSilver.  The vest is a morphed and retextured version of the vest that comes with Slosh's genie outfit.  The bra is the Hongyu bikini top.  The shorts are retextured version of the bottoms for Lucilles bikini.  The toy horse is part of the Playtime prop set by Daz Original.  The hat and boots are from the Sheriff outfit by Sarsa/Val3dart.

Edit:  I used the Toon filter (with reduced settings) for the Western Romance cover.

cover western romance render 1.jpg
    480 x 640 - 29K
    cover western Romance book.JPG
    1342 x 910 - 137K
    Western Pinup Entry.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 54K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Looking good, just a little suggestion diomede, try to vary lenght of those hairs on the horse a bit, I usually use fractal noise in lenght slot and control it with brightness and contrast (scale needs to be proper too).

I would not mind seeing more pronaunced bumps on the shorts, horse and the hat, unless that is just a test render with very fast AA and low sharpness smiley

Good suggestions, FifthElement.  Believe it or not, the mane for the horse is not Carrara hair.  It is a mapped mesh.  I might be able to produce length variation with morphs, or maybe hide the mane and add Carrara hair.  myself.

edited January 2016

I morphed the mane of the toy horse and upped the bump. 

Western Pinup Entry bump revisedd.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 255K
    Post edited by Diomede on