Target Helpers?

13»

Comments

• hrpschrdhrpschrd Posts: 180

Another target helper question:

When adding a spin modifier to an object, one has to rotate the object to be in one of the xyz planes first.

When adding a target helper with spin, that doesn't work. How do you set the angle of spin to one of the axes?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI  hrpschrd :)

An object should spin based on the axis (of that object) set in the spin modifier,. irrespective of the angle of the object when you add the spin modifier,.

for example a cylinder at 45 degrees should spin and retain that 45 degree angle.

Target helpers should be the same,. the spin modifier should use the objects XYZ,.

Are you parenting the Target helper,. then adding the spin ?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    hrpschrd said:

In the attached image you can see a red object at the left bottom, which includes the foot bone. When I spin that bone, the whole red object rotates just fine. Then I set the next bone in blue next to it to spin and they both spin just fine. EXCEPT that the blue cylinder at the far right of the gif file flips around in space for no reason.

Most often, when things like this happens it has to do with the weight mapping of how the rig is attached to the model. Did you know that you can direct how much of the object is affected by each bone? This is done via weight mapping. 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I agree with Dart,. the weight mapping for each bone effects the area of mesh it's positioned to control,. if that area of influence doesn't cover all the different cylinders which make your bond section, then parts of that may be effected by other bones or none

You could also try adding an extra bone where the spinning item is located,. so that you have more control over the rotation angles of that section.

or limit the range of movement of the Ball joint for that bone,. or even change the constraint type

animating the motion by hand with keyframes through the timeline to avoid having one spinning section intersecting with another, if that's the problem. !