how do I make a tiered gathered skirt

2»

Comments

• I just woke up from a dream, on ipad, too early to start up PC but what I dreamt is so obvious I am certain it will work.

a wedding cake shape!!!

ok may need some edge loops and clever geometry but the very shape of it should drape gathered each tier if not in Carrara with bullet maybe Poser and certainly in my target software iClone with a physX weightmap.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited November 2015

well it behaves very odd I must say, either will not drape, just sort of oscillates or smooths out completely with extreme settings

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

Each tier has more material in it than the one above, this can probably be mimicked by increasing the number of polygons in each tier as in Cris Palomino's model, and also in the Marvelous Designer output. So if you modelled three cylinders with increasing mesh density and then bridged them somehow, that may get close to where you want to be.

• As well as Phil's advice, you can place discs inside the mesh before draping to correspond to the top part of each tier.  The discs (or flat cones, if you wish) are only objects in the scene for the cloth to collide against.

That way you might avoid some of the main pleats running all the way from top to bottom.

As always, I've used self collision, bending zero and stiffness around 27%.

My mesh is more dense than yours and I only added extra tesselation at the lower part.  If it wasn't the middle of the night, I'd start again with three tiers.

Doc11.gif
    640 x 480 - 1M
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841
    edited November 2015

Ah well, I thought my .gif would be animated like Wendy's!

Unfortunately the frame shown is where the cloth has turned in on itself at the bottom.  It's only mid-drape.  Anyway, the use of discs might be easy to see.

Edited to add another still shot

Doc12.jpg
    640 x 480 - 29K
    Post edited by Hermit Crab on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2015

Ah well, I thought my .gif would be animated like Wendy's!

Unfortunately this forum software doesn't directly support animations.  They need to be posted somewhere which then allows a hot link.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841
    edited November 2015

Thanks for the info, Chohole.

I've put a few test renders into a very short video.  The garment has three tiers this time.  I show the draping first with no collision shapes and then with two discs to collide with.  The mesh at the most tesselated sections was quite dense so it benefited from having the stiffness increased to nearly 40% in the last attempt.

I couldn't resist duplicating one of the simulations for fun.

Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/-Ij_HlNKMH4

EDIT:  I should add that I'm not claiming this to be any great success.  But an export of an object from some point in the simulation might be a reasonable base to model from.

Post edited by Hermit Crab on
  • The "flowers" looked cool!!

I think I may have to give up on the notion of a dynamic tiered skirt and just go for movement morphs created from slight dynamics.

• Thanks, JaguarElla.

You did set yourself a difficult task and I've enjoyed seeing different approaches. 

I try out that 'flower' effect from time to time.  It works well with very stretchy simulations over a long period of simulation time.  You can get eerie, undersea, type of effects with the plants sort of moving like slow yo-yos.

I thought to have them spit out seeds or missiles!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The "flowers" looked cool!!

I think I may have to give up on the notion of a dynamic tiered skirt and just go for movement morphs created from slight dynamics.

That's a shame, I have been following this with interest.  I am in the same boat as AtticAnne, I know how to make one for real, was hoping you could crack it and get one made for 3D work.

Marcus - that flower effect is very cool and a clever way to use the animation!

• OK, here's another quick one.  Now I'll get my coat...

https://youtu.be/giWeoNBERJc

Very cool!

• Thanks, Phil.  Maybe someday the idea could be used for something or other!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971

It's been interesting to follow this thread as well. 

To me, Wendy's skirt looks like an animated wire-framed jellyfish and Marcus's two look like marine corals on steroids. You two should collaborate and make a choreographed underwater scene.

laugh Silene

• I will return to skirt maybe later but just got too tired of it.

I want to model my own clothing