how do I make a tiered gathered skirt

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
edited November 2015 in Carrara Discussion

how on earth would I model a skirt like this?

just subdividing or tessalating tiers it still drapes smooth not pleated
I deleted alternate tiers and bridged them making a more messy gathered join and got closer but still not really there

tiered.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 347K
textured.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 542K
Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• before you say, no I did not UV map this, it just ended up this way modeling

something I could do to improve it a bit maybe

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

I know eactly how I would do that - two words "Marvelous Designer"!  I know that probably doesn't help you much (unless I make it for you...)

• LOL

I have had that suggested already

and thanks but no thanks Phil, I am trying to learn to do this myself heart

edited November 2015

...just in case you want this, just ask!  Edit - see below, freely available to anyone who wants it.

3-Tiered Skirt.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited November 2015

Here is the OBJ file in zipped form for anyone who might like it - it is unrigged and probably needs a little pulling around here and there to avoid any poke-throughs, but the UVs should work a treat!  That is one of the benefits of Marvelous Designer, UVs work just like a garment made from pieces of fabric, the downside however is the mesh looks a mess and so is difficult to edit much.

zip
    zip
    3-Tiered Gathered Skirt.zip
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • thats a lovely skirt Phil and appreciated as an addition to my DAZ figures's wardrobes heartyes

but sadly is not going to help me learn to model one in Carrara either cheeky

thanks for the gift

I shall still try to find ways to gather my vertices in the vertex room though as it is something I want to learn smiley

Here is a textured version.

3-Tiered Skirt2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Here's a suggestion for the basics to get you going - make a circle, select every alternate vert and scale inwards.  Copy/past vertically, scaling each copy outwards a tad.  Select the ruled surface tool and click on each ring to make a mesh between them.  Select the whole mesh and smooth edges, then smooth at the modelling level (don't apply just yet).

From there you can manipulate sets of verts to give more folds, or whatever.

Ask this in Hex forum and I can give you a lot more help :) 

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009

I can tell you how to do it on a sewing machine, not on a computer.  Sorry.

atticanne said:

I can tell you how to do it on a sewing machine, not on a computer.  Sorry.

That's the joy of Marvelous Designer - it works just like a dress pattern! (Sorry if I appear to be plugging it, I have a real issue with their subscription based pricing model, which is why I am still using version 2, but the technology it uses is very clever).

• Roygee said:

Here's a suggestion for the basics to get you going - make a circle, select every alternate vert and scale inwards.  Copy/past vertically, scaling each copy outwards a tad.  Select the ruled surface tool and click on each ring to make a mesh between them.  Select the whole mesh and smooth edges, then smooth at the modelling level (don't apply just yet).

From there you can manipulate sets of verts to give more folds, or whatever.

Ask this in Hex forum and I can give you a lot more help :) 

I am on my ipad trying to visualize this, basically a tier of serated stars/discs joined then emptied, I sort of tried that on a cylinder pleating it manually selecting alternate vertical rows and slightly scaling in and rotating it, can certainly make a pleated skirt that way, each tier needs more pleats and joined to the previous, sorry Hexagon has hated evey PC I have freezing, having the gizmo vanish etc the tools certainly are similar to Carrara with more features but I simply cannot get it to play nice on my computer.

OK - here's a simple method that will work - even simpler if you do it in Blender, because it needs a cloth sim.

1.  Make a circle with 32 verts.

2. Copy/paste vertically, placing one circle at each point where you have horizontal lines in your drawing.  Scale each circle to match the drawing.  Flatten the top one a bit in the Y axis - ladies tummies are normally flatter than they are wide :)

3.  On the second circle, select each fourth vert and scale very slightly inwards.  On the third circle, scale each fourth vert in a bit more than the previous one and on the bottom circle scale in lot more and rotate those verts a bit in the Z axis, clockwise.

4.  Smooth and do a cloth sim over about 50 frames.

5.  When done, go through the timeline, choose a point at which the fall of the folds looks good and export as .obj.

6.  Dump the original, import the .obj and work on it to get the gathers the way you want them.

Whatever you do, avoid those long narrow tri's like the plague:)

Oops - sorry - forgot to add to use the ruled surfaces tool to join up the circles:)

How the heck do you edit posts?

If you hover your mouse over your post, you will see a little gears icons to the upper right - click that and it will give you the option to edit.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited November 2015

am working in vertex room trying your method now Roygee heart

• sadly although your method makes a nice skirt the softbody smooths it all out as one mesh

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 230K
    Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 296K
    edited November 2015

actually creasing the edges gave a more tiered gathered look

draped, creased draped creased

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1048 - 291K
    all 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 589K
  • I could be wrong about this, but I believe that this could only work (properly) if Carrara's soft body had vertex map dependable parameters smiley

• Yes I think that may be the case sadly, might need to import it into Poser

Blender just too much beyond my ability

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited November 2015

Very quick & dirty, but.....

This was made from a cylinder in the vertex modeler.....resize smaller at 1/3 & 2/3 down, move mid & top sections down to create teirs.

From the top view, select every-other row of vertices & resize to make pleats.

Soft select top ring & resize to make the taper to the waistline.

Sorry...but gotta go back to work!

Doc3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 40K
    Post edited by McGuiver on

Wendy - interesting comparison of the two models - does iClone use a partial conforming, partial dynamic approach? In both cases, the central panel looks unnatural like a conforming skirt, but there are clearly dynamics going on there too.

• This is a slightly different approach modeling wise, i selected a ring of edges and beveled them, i then pulled out the center points on the beveled edges and randomly selected other to pull in a bit.  Extruded and scaled and again repeated the bevel process.  This was done in blender, with one level of subd, but I'm sure Carrara has similar ways to achieve same.

http://prntscr.com/8zibeb

http://prntscr.com/8zib5t

• Of course it would be cool if the DAZ staff could try and use a DAZ product to model. ;-P
    edited November 2015
    PhilW said:

Wendy - interesting comparison of the two models - does iClone use a partial conforming, partial dynamic approach? In both cases, the central panel looks unnatural like a conforming skirt, but there are clearly dynamics going on there too.

Yes its conformed and a dynamic weightmap based on UV mapping ( a gradient) added

can do entirely as a loose dress but tend to get a lot of pokethrough, so its a choice between stretching from limb movement or pokethrough, I did not have to rig the thigh handles to the thigh turn bones but then would have to pose them along timeline for ani to avoid pokethrough or if a prop skirt have track helpers like I would in Carrara adjusting as needed.

i tried resizing on a cylinder first but that just drapes back to shape, I need a skirt that can be dynamic otherwise I would have just textured the pleats with displacement.

Extruding or creating extra mesh as suggested may work though

Yes, draping will eventually shake it all out, which is why you freeze it at a point before this happens - and that is only the first phase - after that it is more modelling to get just right.

Cris Palomino's solution is a far superior method :)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598

This is a slightly different approach modeling wise, i selected a ring of edges and beveled them, i then pulled out the center points on the beveled edges and randomly selected other to pull in a bit.  Extruded and scaled and again repeated the bevel process.  This was done in blender, with one level of subd, but I'm sure Carrara has similar ways to achieve same.

http://prntscr.com/8zibeb

http://prntscr.com/8zib5t

Thanks for the info...this would be possible to do in hex I would imagine in that it would be possible in most programs. I'm going to have to give this a try...

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,244
    edited November 2015

Thanks, Roygee.  You're welcome, Pen. :)

I corrected the five sided polys that the beveling created as pointed out by the red arrows.

http://prntscr.com/8zmexp

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Great modelling but bad counting - they were six sided polys!

• Hah!  I sit corrected.  I just knew they were wrong...lol.

edited November 2015

Had an idea to try combining cris' and my method in Carrara - simply couldn't get the "extract along" and "extract around" tools to work and going around the model cutting one edge at a time is simply not worth the frustration!

Doing it in Hex is a snip :)

EDIT:  Found the problem - here's a heads-up for anyone using the surfaces tools in Carrara.  When the mesh is made, unlike other applications, the curves don't get incorporated into the mesh, but stay in the same place and occupy the same 3D space as the new edges - this may or may not be a good thing.  When selecting what looks like an edge, I was actually selecting the original curve, so couldn't use it to cut new edges.

The slution is to select the mesh, move it to the side and delete the original curves.

Post edited by Roygee on