List Your Carrara Issues Here

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I got a strange error when conforming a product made for V4 to V4. The product (Heaven Sent clothing) is sold in the Daz store. The product loads fine, but I get an error when conforming to V4.

More strange. I loaded the same product in Studio, used "fit to" for genesis, and saved it as a wearable preset. The product conforms to Genesis in Carrara fine.

That sounds like what happens when you load in the DS version of the product directly into Carrara. AT the present time (and I agree... this MUST be fixed) Poser versions of products work much better in Carrara. This does make sense, as they have had a lot more time getting Carrara set up to work with Poser formats than they've had with the brand-spanking new DUF format from DS.

I second diomede on this: Please get DUF transfer to work more natively in Carrara. Not just in his example, but also materials presets (sure, we should still expect to optimize for Carrara, but at least let them work properly),etc., without having to first set things up in DS.

edited September 2014

My biggest peeve with Carrara is that it's so darned fun to use that it has the effect of keeping up for long hours sitting in a darned computer chair! So to fix this, I'm planning a shelving system to replace my computer desk, with a bar stool height for a computer chair, with the same bar stool style bar around the base for my feet, along with a low shelf for my feet to rest on, allowing the third option of freely dangling my feet in the air, but also allowing me to look straight ahead at my monitor while standing. The keyboard shelf will be on an arm that I can move with me, and the mouse will be on a shelf attached to the keyboard shelf, with a hide-out shelf for my Wacom tablet. Nobody's gonna keep this construction foreman from playing in Carrara! Nobody!

Sorry to add a lunatic response... but the new computer setup is queued to become a reality soon! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited December 1969

My biggest peeve with Carrara is that it's so darned fun to use that it has the effect of keeping up for long hours sitting in a darned computer chair! So to fix this, I'm planning a shelving system to replace my computer desk, with a bar stool height for a computer chair, with the same bar stool style bar around the base for my feet, along with a low shelf for my feet to rest on, allowing the third option of freely dangling my feet in the air, but also allowing me to look straight ahead at my monitor while standing. The keyboard shelf will be on an arm that I can move with me, and the mouse will be on a shelf attached to the keyboard shelf, with a hide-out shelf for my Wacom tablet. Nobody's gonna keep this construction foreman from playing in Carrara! Nobody!

Sorry to add a lunatic response... but the new computer setup is queued to become a reality soon! ;)

Would you please do a Carrara model of your proposed work station? ;) It sounds ideal. I am having to still work from my sofa with overbed table as I can't sit at my desk for very long so don't want to move all my kit back there. I need to get all pressure off the backs of my legs as the surgery only fixed about 90% of the disc problem. It will mean everything needs to be at a new height and I have some ideas in mind including a foot-shelf that is adjustable as will be the chair and keyboard platform.

Same problem but often for less happy reasons. I spend so much time trying to work around some things that should go quicker if the DAZ models worked properly. EG poke-through or clothes and hair and accessories floating in space. I'd like to become more efficient and be able to follow all the helpful tuts available and ideas presented in this forum and personal one on one help I have gotten via PMs instead of banging my head against the screen in frustration! There are days I just walk away from Car because its awkwardness just sucks away any newbie creative ideas.

:shut: Silene

edited December 1969

I hear ya... and I'll try to do a Carrara scene. Need time first! LOL

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I got a strange error when conforming a product made for V4 to V4. The product (Heaven Sent clothing) is sold in the Daz store. The product loads fine, but I get an error when conforming to V4.

More strange. I loaded the same product in Studio, used "fit to" for genesis, and saved it as a wearable preset. The product conforms to Genesis in Carrara fine.

That sounds like what happens when you load in the DS version of the product directly into Carrara. AT the present time (and I agree... this MUST be fixed) Poser versions of products work much better in Carrara. This does make sense, as they have had a lot more time getting Carrara set up to work with Poser formats than they've had with the brand-spanking new DUF format from DS.

I second diomede on this: Please get DUF transfer to work more natively in Carrara. Not just in his example, but also materials presets (sure, we should still expect to optimize for Carrara, but at least let them work properly),etc., without having to first set things up in DS.

In this case, it is the Poser version that gets the error. When I convert it to .duf using the transfer utility, it works. This episode has definitely the exception, though, and your general point is still well taken.

Thanks for looking in on it, all the same. :-)

edited December 1969

Everyone here, please make sure that you submit your grievances in the Bug Reporting system at Zen Desk.
    Further, it would be helpful if you could come back in here then and give the rest of us the support number from the ticket, once DAZ 3D responds to your query, so that the rest of us, whom may be able to add files or hints to the problem, can add to the same ticket.

The best way, that I can think of, to be sure to get this stuff (hopefully) fixed is to get organized and work together as much as possible.

So if you have any Carrara 8.5 support tickets, it would be great if you all can post the ticket numbers along with their subject matter in this thread. I'd REALLY appreciate it, and will do what I can to add support work to your issues/tickets.

Thanks all,
    Rock on and keep rendering!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited September 2014

I have one I posted recently (Sept 19th) and did not get a satisfactory answer about: Support request (#176520). Here is a copy.

"Dear DAZ Technical Team,

I just discovered a bug in the Multi Pass rendering of the latest Carrara build: 8.5 Pro build 234 (64 bit), and this function has been working perfectly in Carrara 8.1.1 Build 12 (64bit). Both programs have been tested on Windows XP 64 bit.

The Material Diffuse channel doesn't render out the flat (unaffected by scene lighting) maps of the objects' color channels (as was the case with the previous version), but some mixture of lit diffuse and highlights. This weird combination makes the channel unusable for proper diffuse channel adjustments in post.

If for some reason you consider this weird diffused channel combination useful as a separate pass, please separate it into a new render pass and bring back the original material diffuse render pass, which just displays the flat representation of the maps/colors used in the diffuse/color channel of each object's shader tree.

I am attaching 2 images to illustrate the issue: Doc7_MaterialDiffuse was rendered by Carrara 8.5, and Doc1_MaterialDiffuse was rendered out by Carrara 8.1.1 Note how Doc1 looks flat and unlit, while Doc7 has some lighting applied.

It would be great to have this issue fixed in a small update to Carrara 8.5, especially since it's something that used to work in 8.1, and it's not related to Genesis content, so it should be fairly easy to revert back.

Thank you for your help."

I also attached images to illustrate the issue.

Here is the response I got:

Topher Spencer, Sep 23 13:04:

Hi

Thanks for the report. We try and make Daz products the best they can be and rely on customer feed back. So thanks for the ideas. The latest Carrara build material diffuse channel is working normally. I am sorry for the issues. I will forward your thoughts to the dev team to talk about.

Thanks for your comments.

Have a good day

My Notes: If the old way the pass behaved was the wrong one, it would have been good to have the warning. And I really liked how it looked before, it was very useful for postwork. You can still get it by removing all lights from the scene and rendering again just for this pass, but the whole purpose of having multi-passes is to have them all available after a single render, and frankly I don't see the use of the new version.

It seems like the CS responses have been outsourced to people utterly unfamiliar with the software in question. The response I got was mostly irrelevant and showed no understanding of the issue at hand...

Post edited by Antara on
    edited December 1969

Perfect write-up for this, Antara. Thanks for the help! I need more!

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited September 2014

Further, it would be helpful if you could come back in here then and give the rest of us the support number from the ticket, once DAZ 3D responds to your query, so that the rest of us, whom may be able to add files or hints to the problem, can add to the same ticket.

Dart,

Do you mean by mentioning the ticket number in the subject or description fields when submitting a new request?

I do not see a specific way to reference an existing ticket. If there is another way to do this, please let us know.

Post edited by cdordoni on
    edited December 1969

It wouldn't need to be quite as detailed, but what Antara did above is perfect: Ticket number along with the subject of the report, but even a brief idea of the query would be fine.

When we use ZenDesk to report a bug, make a feature request, etc., they respond to the registered e-mail of whom submitted the report, with a ticket #. Those numbers are important in a thread like this, so that we can group together and provide added info toward the submitted report.

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Well the silence and lack of any feedback by Daz now leaves me with the question of do I continue to spend my money here, I don't think I have asked for much, nor have I rushed them for an answer, but it just seems they don't care about Carrara or it users in general, if they can't be bothered, why should I bother to spend my money here

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

So quit spending money and render something then.

edited December 1969

I have been, but would be nice to know if anything is going to happen with Carrara, seems a lot of people who just don't care

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

My suggestion would be to file a support ticket or whatever it's called and say that you want Carrara 9, and that you don't feel comfortable buying anything from DAZ until you knw the status, and that you have no desire to use their other software. Money talks and if you tell them that you;re not spending money on content and why, that may help. especially if you come back here and post with the ticket number as Dart describes above, other people may be able to add to it.

The only question is who to file it with. Sales? Support?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

My suggestion would be to file a support ticket or whatever it's called and say that you want Carrara 9, and that you don't feel comfortable buying anything from DAZ until you knw the status, and that you have no desire to use their other software. Money talks and if you tell them that you;re not spending money on content and why, that may help. especially if you come back here and post with the ticket number as Dart describes above, other people may be able to add to it.

The only question is who to file it with. Sales? Support?

Tech Support I think

edited December 1969

It wouldn't need to be quite as detailed, but what Antara did above is perfect: Ticket number along with the subject of the report, but even a brief idea of the query would be fine.

When we use ZenDesk to report a bug, make a feature request, etc., they respond to the registered e-mail of whom submitted the report, with a ticket #. Those numbers are important in a thread like this, so that we can group together and provide added info toward the submitted report.

I submitted some of my posts in this thread to tech support. In each post above that I submitted, the ticket number has been added to my post as an edit update. I did not create a ticket for a post if I thought it was a duplicate or if someone showed me a solution.

edited December 1969

We stickied this thread as it was intended to be a supplement to bug reporting, letting users know what had been reported. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have been working, and many of the posts lack enough detail to enable anyone at DAZ to log them even if the resources were available to treat the thread as a bug reporting system.

We are therefore unstickying the thread, with a reminder that in order to be processed bugs must be reported using the Zendesk to open a Technical Support ticket so that they can be logged, any additional information needed can be requested, and they can be assigned to developers as needed. You are welcome to continue to mirror your reports here, and if you include the ticket number others will be able to see if they are fixed by the change log.

edited December 1969

I broke the sticky by submitting bug reports. Sorry everyone. Or, is it that if an issue is not a bug, meaning something is absent rather than broken, it is not worthy of being stickied?

edited December 1969

not your fault, just daz being daz,

edited October 2014

No The idea behind the thread should have been that people submitted bug reports, and then posted here to say what bug it was they had reported, so that people knew what was being reported, etc.

As Stated in my last post

many of the posts lack enough detail to enable anyone at DAZ to log them

So with not enough bug reports being made and not enough detail in this thread, it has not been the asset we had originally hoped it would be.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,093
    edited December 1969

Well I myself just gave up and worked out my own solution to what support said was a known bug.
    Geografts loosing UV mapping fitted
    so
    In Daz studio,
    Ran all my geografted items through the tranfer utility using Sickleyields steps for keeping bones
    ie unticking all but morphs
    rigging transfer and saving as support asset BEFORE doing anything else
    adding transform fix morphs by exporting an obj in situ and using as a morph target and resaving as an asset an additional stip.
    This way the UV mapping is retained in Carrara instead of messing up when geografts fitted.
    Not ideal but useable for tails etc

• Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited October 2014

I have not used Carrara 8, for about 6 months +. I moved to Blender and struggled much due to rendering. Went and purchased a new video card. EVGA GeForce GTX "Nvidia 750 (1Gb). Comes with 512 Cuda cores. From using Sapphire 6870 (1GB), furthermore 16GB DDR3 ram on my ASUS motherboard. I tell you that Nvidia card kicks ass in Blender. Giving me real fast renders. Now when I use Carrara, and then start rendering, the screen goes black, then recovers. I get error message, driver recovered. That Carrara has crashed, and I have to reboot my system to clear all memory on Video card, and motherboard. I am now not using Carrara anymore. Wondering if Carrara in the future will resort to Cuda cores for better renders. Carrara doesn't know about Cuda cores, and my carrara is in 32 Bit. Not to keen on getting 8.5. For a lot of reasons. Paid for Carrara 8 beta and doesn't do anything now. And everyone is entitled to 8.5 for free. Blender sure can do some kick ass stuff, but is blender (all 3d software mixed into one), not easy. But hoping Carrara for the better in the future, soon.

Post edited by Robo2010 on
    edited October 2014

If the DEVs want information release a debug version of Carrara that can gather and send the information they are asking for Daz studio does it

Post edited by Chohole on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,614
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

So with not enough bug reports being made and not enough detail in this thread, it has not been the asset we had originally hoped it would be.

Huh?

Not enough detail? There is PLENTY of detail in these posts.

People are saying Genesis doesn't work in the software correctly. People are listing all manner of issues. All anyone need do is READ the forum and FIX the software!

I would be the first to go out and get 8.5 IF you made Genesis work as effortlessly as Generation 1-4 work in Carrara!
    I LOVE the way Genesis looks, but if it doesn't work, people can't find their items, and whatever issues need fixing, then it is pointless.

If the only thing this thread helps is letting us know we are not alone in our situations, then the thread is worthwhile and should go back to "Stickiness"

• Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

I used to report bugs, and I found reporting very complicated, and wasn't sure it was being fixed, while waiting. So, I do not make reports anymore. So I write one here. I give up.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,093
    edited December 1969

carrara needs a log file

edited December 1969

The timing of this is puzzling. Although I was tongue in cheek when I said I broke the sticky, the thread was unstickied shortly after I turned my posts into bug reports. So I looked back, and my posts seem pretty specific, with links to further information if appropriate. For example, I combined posts 81 and 82, copied them, and pasted them into the bug report number edited in post number 81. That seems very specific to me, with a screenshot, and a link to a thread in which I show steps with related screenshots.

I think it would be better to describe what kind of details are lacking so that I can provide those details, rather than Unsticky the thread. Or give a different reason for the unsticky.

I'm calling bull$/@ t on this one. I'm still wishing everyone a nice day, though.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,755
    edited December 1969

Some posts may well provide all the details that would be needed, but many don't and a single thread is not a good way of separating the two, or asking for more information (and working out which post the extra information goes with), and it certainly isn't a practical way of tracking progress. When we stickied this thread we understood that it was going to be a supplement for the bug reports, since those are private now and cannot be seen by other users, but that bug reports would be the way people made issues known to the development team. That didn't seem to be working, so we unstickied the thread.

edited October 2014

A random single post would not be a good post to refer to in judging what is going on, agreed. But this post wasn't random. It was the bug reported immediately prior to unstickying the thread, along with two other reports with similar detail. It may just be coincidence, but I don't think I am unreasonable to think the thread was unstickied because of my bug reports.

However, second call of bull$h&t. The thread was entitled issues with carrara. We asked that thread be made a sticky because these threads were getting repetitive and forum participants that asked that it be made a sticky got sick of searching for the same issues.

Repeat - it is a service to us, not the developers, to have this thread as a sticky. Then we know if a problem that we might experience is general or not. Then we can anticipate potential issues when we explore a feature of Carrara we haven't used before. Then we can try to generate work arounds and other solutions.

If Daz as an organization chooses a policy of silence on development, others might complainit, I have not. But why remove a convenient place for me to see potential pitfalls experienced by my fellow users.

This fiction that the thread was stickied with the intent of improving communication between Daz developers and forum participants who submitted bug reports is laughable. This thread started as a plea for communication with Daz officials, which Daz can ignore for all I care. But some of us, including me, asked that it be made a sticky so that a list of issues was gathered in a single convenient place. It is inconvenient to have these problems buried in past post, then rehashed in new threads.

What I do know is that thread was unstickied immediately following me copying a forum post, which provided very specific details, and submitting it as a bug report. Maybe you know that what really happened was that a Daz developer did a survey of forum posts and concluded that too few had details to make it worthwhile to continue surveying forum posts. Timing could be a coincidence, I guess. I will leave to the reader whether they believe that or not.

Aside, if a Daz developer read this thread and concluded that it was not useful to aid further development, Carrara is screwed even if they continue development. What the &$@? Is Daz working on for Carrara if not the issues raised in this thread? But I digress.

In any case,
    Please make this thread a sticky again! It is useful to me even if Daz does not use it for bug reporting.

Edit: Nothing personal. Hope everyone in greater Dazland is having a nice day (or night depending on where you are). :-)

Post edited by Diomede on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Some posts may well provide all the details that would be needed, but many don't and a single thread is not a good way of separating the two, or asking for more information (and working out which post the extra information goes with), and it certainly isn't a practical way of tracking progress. When we stickied this thread we understood that it was going to be a supplement for the bug reports, since those are private now and cannot be seen by other users, but that bug reports would be the way people made issues known to the development team. That didn't seem to be working, so we unstickied the thread.

This thread was started for users, not Daz. Daz has made their position quite clear that the forums are not to be used for bug reporting. Therefore, if Daz does not believe this thread is meeting its goal, that goal must have be established by Daz itself, and would contradict its own policy about recognizing any reporting of bugs in the forum. If users are happy with this thread, there needs to be no intervention unless somehow TOS is violated.

So if the content is deemed not useful, just remove the thread. Classifying it as not sticky worthy is a still way of rejecting it. Again, this thread was not started for Daz, so this rejection of information that was never intended by users to be an officially recognized form of bug reporting is puzzling.