Calling Fenric.

124»

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    head wax said:

Maybe you two could work together :)

I think you mean Fenric and I?... This won't happen since I am too rusty on the small amount of C++ programming I've done, none for Carrara plug-ins. I'm hoping to approach someone else with the progect to see if they are interested. I have your wants along with my ideas of what the program would need to do in a text file. I just recently downloaded a C++ compiler but haven't even installed it yet... too many other things going on at the present time.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 2015
    Philemo said:
    Fenric said:

I am available for doing Mac compilations if you (or anyone else) needs - I did the builds for BrianOrca for a while.

Thank you very much Fenric. I'm sure I'll use your offer, at least in the begining. As soon as the plugin is ready to leave alpha stage (wich obviously is not the case), Ill send you the sources.

After that, I think I'll try to work a solution. If I remember well a previous post of you, you're using virtual machines for your build. I would greatly appreciate a return of experience on the subject, if you have any time to spare.

That was a long time ago! :)  I was using a Mac as my primary platform, and did the Windows builds using Parallels.

These days I use Windows for my main computer, and I have the cheapest Mac Mini I could buy that has no other purpose in life except building and testing Mac versions of stuff. The trouble is that with as old as Carrara 7 is, you need an ancient version of XCode that I'm not sure you can download anymore. I had to do XP-compatible builds in a VirtualPC session for a while because Studio 2012 would only build for Vista or newer, but Microsoft fixed that a while ago.

Re: The texture thing

Yeah... I forgot about that request. You don't get the source code to any existing Carrara features, so this would be a new shader and you'd have to run a command every time you loaded stuff to replace the built-in one ( a la Shader Doctor).

Post edited by Fenric on
  • Fenric said:
    Philemo said:
    Fenric said:

I am available for doing Mac compilations if you (or anyone else) needs - I did the builds for BrianOrca for a while.

Thank you very much Fenric. I'm sure I'll use your offer, at least in the begining. As soon as the plugin is ready to leave alpha stage (wich obviously is not the case), Ill send you the sources.

After that, I think I'll try to work a solution. If I remember well a previous post of you, you're using virtual machines for your build. I would greatly appreciate a return of experience on the subject, if you have any time to spare.

That was a long time ago! :)  I was using a Mac as my primary platform, and did the Windows builds using Parallels.

These days I use Windows for my main computer, and I have the cheapest Mac Mini I could buy that has no other purpose in life except building and testing Mac versions of stuff. The trouble is that with as old as Carrara 7 is, you need an ancient version of XCode that I'm not sure you can download anymore. I had to do XP-compatible builds in a VirtualPC session for a while because Studio 2012 would only build for Vista or newer, but Microsoft fixed that a while ago.

I've checked and It won't be easy to have a Carrara 7 version. The plugin rely heavily on methods that were introduced with the C8 SDK along with, if I'm not mistaken, the possibility to modify a skinned mesh while posed.

If I look for a second hand mac, which OS version should I aim for ?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

Thanks for checking Philemo, it works well until you hit 'create' ;) 

wgdjohn said:
    head wax said:

Maybe you two could work together :)

I think you mean Fenric and I?... This won't happen since I am too rusty on the small amount of C++ programming I've done, none for Carrara plug-ins. I'm hoping to approach someone else with the progect to see if they are interested. I have your wants along with my ideas of what the program would need to do in a text file. I just recently downloaded a C++ compiler but haven't even installed it yet... too many other things going on at the present time.

Thanks for the update ! All beyond me , ;) 

• Philemo said:
    Fenric said:
    Philemo said:
    Fenric said:

I've checked and It won't be easy to have a Carrara 7 version. The plugin rely heavily on methods that were introduced with the C8 SDK along with, if I'm not mistaken, the possibility to modify a skinned mesh while posed.

I would imagine a 64 bit, Intel Mac would fit the bill. Maybe an old Core2 Duo iMac or Mac Mini would fit the bill? You would probably want to make sure it ran at least OS X Mavericks and preferably the latest OS X.

Philemo said:

Darn, I was hoping for a Carrara 6 version also, skipped C7. No big deal... only use C6 for modeling these days. Carrara 8.5 Pro I'm still getting used to.

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165

I've bought most of them as I needed them.  The Poser shader fixers are a lifesaver, and I use them every time I use Carrara, I adore the PS style Layer Blending, and the color filters are a blast!  These are a necessity for Carrara, and worth every penny. :)

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    Philemo said:
    Fenric said:
    Philemo said:
    Fenric said:

I would imagine a 64 bit, Intel Mac would fit the bill. Maybe an old Core2 Duo iMac or Mac Mini would fit the bill? You would probably want to make sure it ran at least OS X Mavericks and preferably the latest OS X.

Yep. Nothing older than the Core2 Duo versions - but some of those can't upgrade past 10.6, so watch out. The old Core i5 ones are better: mine is a "Mid 2011" version. You'll want to upgrade the memory if it comes with less than 8 gigs, the newer systems don't like 4 and really die with 2 - but they use cheap slow DDR2. I upgraded mine to 16 gigs for less than $100.

OS version is a little harder. You don't want older than 10.5, but that's hardly a worry as someone would have had to be either very stubborn or not have an internet connection to stay that far back. I'm currently on 10.10... whichever mountain that was named after. I have resisted 10.11 due to the large numbers of reports I've read of software not working properly.

• Fenric said:

Yep. Nothing older than the Core2 Duo versions - but some of those can't upgrade past 10.6, so watch out. The old Core i5 ones are better: mine is a "Mid 2011" version. You'll want to upgrade the memory if it comes with less than 8 gigs, the newer systems don't like 4 and really die with 2 - but they use cheap slow DDR2. I upgraded mine to 16 gigs for less than $100.

OS version is a little harder. You don't want older than 10.5, but that's hardly a worry as someone would have had to be either very stubborn or not have an internet connection to stay that far back. I'm currently on 10.10... whichever mountain that was named after. I have resisted 10.11 due to the large numbers of reports I've read of software not working properly.

Thank you Fenric,

I'll look into that; Second hand Mac are not easy to find and are relatively expensive here in France, so It's nice to have a minimal configuration.

• Is the MDD plugin updated for 8.5? I can get the export to work (to Marvelous Designer) but when I try to import back into Carrara I get "An error occured while executing Import".

I've tried importing to an empty scene and that gives me the same error. 

• Well I got the import to work - there was a problem with the animation in MD, so I recorded a new one and it now loads in Carrara. Now I just need to figure out how to get

the animation to line up :) 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    Ariaso said:

I've bought most of them as I needed them.  The Poser shader fixers are a lifesaver, and I use them every time I use Carrara, I adore the PS style Layer Blending, and the color filters are a blast!  These are a necessity for Carrara, and worth every penny. :)

Absolutely! I used to nest together various shader aspects to get what I need. There's a huge difference between using that instead of this new Multi-Layer shader channel! I can set it to Multiply if I want to, but Normal works so much better than what I was used to... so predictable! 

edited February 2016

head wax said:
    wgdjohn said:
    head wax said:

I think Fenric said 'no' elsewhere in another thread unfortunately.

There are so many things that would make Carrara so much easier to use if they were implemented.

Yes I saw that thread. Too bad he said 'no' I've 5 of his items in my wishlist.

I've not been programming for quite some time but how about this suggestion for your idea...

Add an additional panel at the right into/after the the other panels already there. Then open/unhide the, let's call it "Shader Textures", panel after selecting the object in Assemble room or having it's shader selected in the Texture room... open the panel and select the texture you want to edit... there would also be listing and setup for your "image editing program(s) where you choose the editor of your choice... send it to your image editor, change it/save it and  you are almost done...  if the newer image does not load automatically, prefered, the program would need to update it or you could do that manually. Am I on the right track to what you are asking?

that's sounds exactly what we need, thank you!!!!  :)

Today I sent your wants and my suggestions along to see if Eric might be interested in creating a plug-in... I'll let you know what I hear back.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Heard back and he is busy presently porting one of his current plug-ins over to Photoshop. I'll email him back and ask that he keep us in mind if you are still interested.

Thanks very much ! ;) !