Calling Fenric.

Comments

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 2015
    Philemo said:

I have

something almost ready. I've been using it selfishly for some time and I decided to spend some time working on it enough to release it.

To make it short, it's a modifier you can apply on any figure or prop that removes poke through. It also creates morphs so that you don't have to do the computation every time you do something.

Morphs are keyframed and you can add different ones for different situations (a poke through created by a particular posture).

If someone is willing to help and is courageous enough to help debug an alpha version (on windows 64 bits), he (or she) is more than welcome.

Just be patient. I have very little time, Christmas is coming, and, as a software engineer, I hate to deliver unproved software. As I said, all I have now is on alpha stage.

Link to the alpha version : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bztu9Tp7eavmdFN4dnhIUHItc1E/view?usp=sharing

Decompress and move files to extension folder in Carrara install. Windows 64 bit only.

Documentation follows ASAP

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited December 2015
    Philemo said:

Link to the alpha version : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bztu9Tp7eavmdFN4dnhIUHItc1E/view?usp=sharing

Decompress and move files to extension folder in Carrara install. Windows 64 bit only.

I didnt have time to finish the video. So there is a short doc :

Add "No PokeThrough general utility" modifier to the actor or model of the figure. You can have as much as you need (one initial, another one for cloth on cloth situation, other dedicated to a particular posture that isn't solved by the initial one).

Target : Object to check against. Often, it's the figure wearing the cloth, but not necessarily. Can be other clothes (cloth on cloth poke through), a prop or whatever you can intersect with. It's better be the instance (model or actor, not the figure or a group, unlike the example). I can't figure out why, but the intersection works better.

Distance from body : minimum distance to body. Default to 0.1 inch (2.54mm)

Dynamic : If ticked, collision solving is done whenever necessary. As it can take from 0.1 seconds, up to 2 or 3 depending on complexity, use it sparsily before creating a morph (because whenever necessary maybe quite often :-))

Morph name. Name that will be used for storing morph into the model. Will be corrected if necessary for unicity.

"Create" button : create the morph

"Update" button : update the morph offsets (resolve collision again)

Morph value : coefficient of the morph (as in parameter tab).

NoPoke1.png
    1366 x 768 - 307K
    NoPoke2.png
    193 x 207 - 15K
  • head wax said:

that sounds great philemo, thank you!!!  it might have other uses ? like cloth sim? or something like Poser's fitting room perhaps?

I did this plugin as the first step toward more ambitious ones.

I needed to have a collision solving solution and a way to store mesh modifications. And I was tired to correct pokethroughs by hand. So this plugin.

Next step (under construction) is a draping modifier (no poke through + cloth sim). I'll see then if I can go to a dynamic cloth sim.

edited December 2015

Hi Philemo, I'm working on documenting a workflow that will let the user essentially fit any gen4/Genesis/Genesis2 outfit quite accurately onto any gen 4 figure, male or female. I'm dealing with some very minor poke through issues and this could be the part that solves that for the user. I'd be happy to debug/beta test. 

Hi Stringtheory,

You're more than welcome. See there to install

• Yes indeed Philemo

A huge step towards what DS can do with smoothing that would be

If really bad I sometimes do it the tedious way creating morphs in DAZ studio using the smoothing modifier and obj export but that is only useful for one initial t posed frame.

the softselect in Carrara vertexroom is very fiddly too,

DAZ smoothing modifier makes me so jealous, so wasted on them when we have bullet physics, imagine combining the two what one could do!!!

but just the clothing fixes are a much appreciated help heart

Actually, I dont know what Daz smoothing is (I don't use studio). I'll have a look to what it does.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 2015

I am testing it on my very challenging V4 JaguarElla with her massive mammaries, thighs and butt

she needs help from morphing clothes usually

so far looks good, I did still need to dial up breast morph but it certainly fixed pokethrough elsewhere

BTW downloading I had to fight MS security essentials in IE Chrome I could not at all, dunno why, zips usually OK

my PC struggling a bit though only 16 GB RAM

Capture.JPG
    487 x 217 - 54K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I am testing it on my very challenging V4 JaguarElla with her massive mammaries, thighs and butt

she needs help from morphing clothes usually

so far looks good, I did still need to dial up breast morph but it certainly fixed pokethrough elsewhere

BTW downloading I had to fight MS security essentials in IE Chrome I could not at all, dunno why, zips usually OK

my PC struggling a bit though only 16 GB RAM

Thank you Wendy for the test.

There might be a memory issue. I'll double check if all memory allocated is freed.

To speed up test, I've used multi threading which forces me to allocate a lot of memory and I might have missed some. I haven't noticed it yet, but I don't usually have very troublesome subjects with big features.

Collision test is done with edges vs facets and the solver does is to extract all the vertices out of the underlining subject. One done, it stops while there might still be edges intersecting.

For big changes, I recommend to do it graually. For instance, if possible, dial the breast back half on the underlying subject, create the morph, dial back to full and update the morph. The result is far better.

• once the morph is created it is OK and not using dynamic, for animation I would need to be choosy about where I create them but certainly can find it extremely usefull

• once the morph is created it is OK and not using dynamic, for animation I would need to be choosy about where I create them but certainly can find it extremely usefull

I did some test. If I leave it in dynamic mode, the memory increases. But, if I leave Carrara idle for a time, the memory decreases back to normal level. So, it seems that the memory in question is owned by Carrara which does some house keeping after a while. It's a tough one :-(...

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    Philemo said:
    head wax said:

that sounds great philemo, thank you!!!  it might have other uses ? like cloth sim? or something like Poser's fitting room perhaps?

I did this plugin as the first step toward more ambitious ones.

I needed to have a collision solving solution and a way to store mesh modifications. And I was tired to correct pokethroughs by hand. So this plugin.

Next step (under construction) is a draping modifier (no poke through + cloth sim). I'll see then if I can go to a dynamic cloth sim.

thanks Philemo, can't wait to try this out! Wonderful!

Hya you are a genius!!!! :) Thanks so much.

Works perfectly in 8.5.  See image.

In 8.1 (which I use) it fixes the poke through the underlying figure but when I click 'create' I get a window with 'an error ocurred while executing'

Notes: the first time I used it I tried to fit the figure to itself accidentally - so it hung.;)

The second time I used it I tried to fit the cloth model to the Kid4 , didn't realise I had to fit it to the Kid4 model.

The third time I used it - perfect :) And very fast.

Future suggestions: cloth sim, ability to add wrinkles would be very handy 

This is wonderful thank you. 

11111noPoke.jpg
    797 x 810 - 109K
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841
    edited December 2015

Although I won't get a chance to try this soon - I must say how impressed I am by your ability to create this, Philemo.

Edited to get Philemo's name right!

Post edited by Hermit Crab on
  • Philemo,

Any chance you will release a Mac version also?

Oh, I forgot to say, would it be possible to get it to shrink down to fit a mesh as well ? :) :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

Wow. Both String Theory and Philemo... Really looking forward to these things! So Cool!

Dart, have you tried the Nopoke through? amazing :) and quick

edited December 2015
    Philemo said:

I did some test. If I leave it in dynamic mode, the memory increases. But, if I leave Carrara idle for a time, the memory decreases back to normal level. So, it seems that the memory in question is owned by Carrara which does some house keeping after a while. It's a tough one :-(...

I've re-read my code and I found a few memory leaks.

I've uploaded a new version correcting it. As fas as I can tell, what's left is Carrara, not mine. I've ran an animation twice, one with and one without the plugin. The memory increase is the same.

Download link is there

• head wax said:

Hya you are a genius!!!! :) Thanks so much.

Works perfectly in 8.5.  See image.

In 8.1 (which I use) it fixes the poke through the underlying figure but when I click 'create' I get a window with 'an error ocurred while executing'

I don't have a copy of 8.1. I went straight from 7.2 to 8.5.

I will try to compile it for 7.2. Hopefully, if I can reproduce and correct it in 7.2, it will also correct 8.1

head wax said:

Notes: the first time I used it I tried to fit the figure to itself accidentally - so it hung.;)

The second time I used it I tried to fit the cloth model to the Kid4 , didn't realise I had to fit it to the Kid4 model.

That, I can correct easily

head wax said:

The third time I used it - perfect :) And very fast.

Future suggestions: cloth sim, ability to add wrinkles would be very handy 

This is wonderful thank you. 

You're welcome

• Philemo,

Unfortunally not in the short term. I don't own a mac. I will have to find a solution to compile a mac version before going to beta stage..

• Philemo said:

Philemo,

Unfortunally not in the short term. I don't own a mac. I will have to find a solution to compile a mac version before going to beta stage..

I don't code but my son does. Maybe I can pursuade him to create a Mac version from your code. Would you be willing to provide the Windows source code... Once you get everything working correctly?

• Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

I have

something almost ready. I've been using it selfishly for some time and I decided to spend some time working on it enough to release it.

To make it short, it's a modifier you can apply on any figure or prop that removes poke through. It also creates morphs so that you don't have to do the computation every time you do something.

Morphs are keyframed and you can add different ones for different situations (a poke through created by a particular posture).

If someone is willing to help and is courageous enough to help debug an alpha version (on windows 64 bits), he (or she) is more than welcome.

Just be patient. I have very little time, Christmas is coming, and, as a software engineer, I hate to deliver unproved software. As I said, all I have now is on alpha stage.

Philemo said:

Philemo,

I don't code but my son does. Maybe I can pursuade him to create a Mac version from your code. Would you be willing to provide the Windows source code... Once you get everything working correctly?

I would greatly appreciate that. And, of course, if I go commercial, there would be a cut for him. And I'm afraid you would also be in it for testing wink

PM me if he agrees so we can settle this out.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I'd be happy to do some testing on the mac side . . .

• FenricFenric Posts: 351

I am available for doing Mac compilations if you (or anyone else) needs - I did the builds for BrianOrca for a while.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Philemo said:

I have something almost ready. I've been using it selfishly for some time and I decided to spend some time working on it enough to release it.

[EDIT wgd] 

If someone is willing to help and is courageous enough to help debug an alpha version (on windows 64 bits), he (or she) is more than welcome

This sounds great, just downloaded it. I will give it a try as soon as I have time what with Christmas/New Years due and other things on my plate. I'll let you know what I find that doesn't work quite right or can be improved. Thanks!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Fenric said:

Hey, come on... I didn't say "never ever again no way nohow!" just... not at this time. [EDIT wgd]

Fenric, Any objection to my giving head wax's what I call "Shader Texture" idea a try? It was mentioned on March 31, 2015. see Below...

Carrara "Shader Textures" program idea. head wax said...

"Hi Fenric, idea for plugin. In shader room, when we have texture loaded, if we select the parameter with the texture (and hover mouse key over it? from memory) we can see the directory tree of the location of the texture, but then we have to go and look for it in My Computer etc. (I use google desktop)

Is there any way to arrange it that double clicking the texture would

a) load it up in our choice of image editing program or
    b) open up the folder with the texture map in it or
    c) perhaps in the assembly room arrange a hot key so that a selected obj/model 's textures would be opened up in our image editing program?? [CUT wgd]

Thanks, John

Maybe you two could work together :)

head wax said:

Dart, have you tried the Nopoke through? amazing :) and quick

Not yet. I'll see if I can grab that tommorrow. Wow... that was FAST

Col. Got it. I'll try it out tommorrow - all cores at full blast rendering for the rest of tonight ;)

• Fenric said:

I am available for doing Mac compilations if you (or anyone else) needs - I did the builds for BrianOrca for a while.

Thank you very much Fenric. I'm sure I'll use your offer, at least in the begining. As soon as the plugin is ready to leave alpha stage (wich obviously is not the case), Ill send you the sources.

After that, I think I'll try to work a solution. If I remember well a previous post of you, you're using virtual machines for your build. I would greatly appreciate a return of experience on the subject, if you have any time to spare.

It's a great idea for all of you who understand these things to get together. Pity the SDK forum isn't very busy.