• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2020

this song influenced my writing

rocinante going into a black hole, gave me chills 

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,264

Link to Video

I reckon this could be done with Carrara, the CGI that is

Wow. Devin Townsend, eh? Very cool! I think that he and I have a lot in common.

First, the music in this sounds an awful lot like original music I wrote years ago to teach a friend how to write music. He became my guitarist, we became a two-man band and together we wrote and performed 90 minutes of cool, heavy rock. Very very similar music with entirely different stories - but still similar in ways.

Second, although entirely different subjects and imagery, this is incredibly similar to what I'm doing in my production.

Very cool seeing this! Thanks Wendy!

Mystarra said:

this song influenced my writing

rocinante going into a black hole, gave me chills 

Awesome! I love that! I was bummed that Hemispheres ended up being the last of the Epic Tale albums from Rush... but I love a lot of what came after too. 2112 ripped me apart! I loved it! My brother has that one, so I bought All The World's A Stage (Live) when that came out and learned the drum solo for Working Man - so our band (I was 15 or 16 and working full time (seasonal) as a Monster actor to fund the band) played Working Man so I could do the solo live. Alternating shows - Led Zeppelin's Moby Dick one show, Working Man the next, and so on. 

I was also the lead singer for both this early band (Dagorlad, which was later renamed Black Dragon) and the one I just mentioned in the post above, which was called Assassin.

Funny thing - in trying to come up with ideas for animation, doing a movie around 2112 was one of my favorite ideas! I was even going to try and get ahold of Rush to ask if they'd be okay with it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,956

some random commenter yet again asked me why do I render all these animations.

don't these people have hobbies?

edited January 2020

edited January 2020

contemplating scary aliens

scorpius,  was scary in beginning, thern got reediculous.  krihton looks like he trying so hard not to ctack up.

the life sucking aliens, the wraith were scary, but it wore off too

in conclusion, i think oncr the shock wears off, how to make an ebil alien, keep their ebil edge?

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,203

I get a little of that, but mostly just a troll or two.  When they see something less than Pixar quality, they wonder why do it ... (ever counted the number of people involved per the credits after a Pixar video, even a short .... )

OTOH, I've had people tell me they were really impressed, always nice to hear.  I find it a very absorbing hobby, being able to tell a (short) story without needing at least a dozen or more people as in live action shorts.  And the almost inevitable hard feelings that come up with a group like that. ... my one experience in a 48 Hour Film contest live action 5 minute video certainly had frictions ... 

Some people! Eee Gads! ...and they say it takes all kinds? Why?!!!

Steve K said:

I get a little of that, but mostly just a troll or two.  When they see something less than Pixar quality, they wonder why do it ... (ever counted the number of people involved per the credits after a Pixar video, even a short .... )

OTOH, I've had people tell me they were really impressed, always nice to hear.  I find it a very absorbing hobby, being able to tell a (short) story without needing at least a dozen or more people as in live action shorts.  And the almost inevitable hard feelings that come up with a group like that. ... my one experience in a 48 Hour Film contest live action 5 minute video certainly had frictions ... 

You too? I agree with Wendy - "Don't these people have a hobby?" (other than being uncouth)

Best CG Hair I've ever seen... Ever! I wish I had this for my Rosie Character. I'm getting better, but... but....

...and here's a cool two minute feature on the making of (Merida's Hair):

Where they have actual brains behind Merida's hair, I have my imagination, Carrara's dynamic hair (which really does, as I'm learning has endless possibilities), the amazing tutorials of Jonstark and PhilW and finally a computer that can handle my tests and then render this stuff out.

So where they're using the secondary springs, I've (without ever seeing the above video before) resorted to using Carrara's physical forces. So far I've only been using forces without trying dampening forces yet. I've been loving the results I've been getting from Directional combined with Point forces in addition to the actual motion vs gravity along with the settings of the hair itself.

Next tests will be a bit different, however, as I've just finished watching PhilW's Animating in Carrara course, and he sets his up entirely different than Jonstark. Time to test more to see what comes of it.

The (kinda) bummer side of that is that I have a LOT of footage rendered toward putting together my work. But I still have a lot of non-Rosie stuff to render, so I can always redo what I've done if I find something I like better. I also have ideas for tweaking Rosie's appearance a bit, so... but I don't mind. I'd rather prolong things a little longer if it makes me happier with my own work in the end.

It was actually Alita that inspired me to redesign my Rosie character in the first place - and I'm grateful for that. Alita is by-and-large my favorite CG character ever. ILM has done amazing work on Many photo-real CG characters - many of which most viewers don't even notice as being CG (digital stunt doubles). But the work that Weta Digital did on Alita is so stunning that it just pushes that whole bar forward. Performance capture is one thing, but it took artists to be able to translate that performance into such a perfect blend of digital and reality.

This 'behind the scenes' is an awesome watch!

edited January 2020

for some reason people consider being a gamer or even playing Candy Crush or Vegas slots or something more noble and less time wasting than animation

I get the not having a life thing a lot but I actually sit less behind a computer than most people I know, it's mostly rendering away while I do other things.

The strange thing is these judgemental people who are physically active, studying, gardening, working two jobs and buying investment properties presumably or maybe active in volunteer groups in their communities still are finding time to watch my animations on YouTube, I don't know how they do it.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Todd  lol

thinkin to do one of these for my characters, to help remember.

Todd, lol

one of the KISS guys had a star on his face

Yup. Guitarist/Vocalist Paul Stanley

Kiss was inspired by the rock legends from across the sea, Sweet!

edited January 2020

This is a cool documentary of back when Sweet were in their prime

Sweet is still alive via the two remaining members, each performing as Sweet separately with their own renditions of the band. Andy (lead guitarist)(Upper Left in the above image) owns the actual rights to the music, I believe. Sony has just recently released a boxed album set of the Sweet records - even remaking the cool album covers and sleeves included in the originals. 

Steve Priest (bassist)(Lower Left in image above) live in CA and plays Sweet gigs with some awesome musicians from time to time. 

Both Andy and Steve's accompanying musicians are awesome. Cool to see them still doing their thing!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

early glam? 

if Paul wanted to manscape, looks like he has something to work with

loll  i searched manscape, showed a image of superman S manscaped  tee hee hee heeeeee

Mystarra said:

early glam? 

Yup! And if you watch that video (above), you'll see that it was also the early Disco era over there. It was quite different by the time it took hold in the states - BeeGees, etc.,

Manscape. Now there's something you won't find me searching for on the web! LOL

something i noticed with all SGA (stargate atlantis) cast changes.

a character needs screen presence to keep people watching.  i've started skipping whole episodes cause the characters on screen lack presence or charisma, aka blah

dont relly understand what makes screen presence,  is it in the eyes?

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,203
    Mystarra said:

I think its the overall ability to "sell" the part in the given situation.  A YouTube video "Acting Shakespeare - Ian McKellen" is a 90 minute one man tour de force of classical stage acting by the great actor, using no costumes or props.  A more modern example is McKellen in the 1995 movie "Richard III".  Based on the Shakespeare play but set in a 1930's fascist London.  Roger Ebert (four stars out of four): "This is a film with a dread fascination. McKellen occupies it like a poisonous spider in its nest. Lurching sideways through his life, smoking as if it's as necessary to him as breathing, seductive when he wants to be, when angered Richard reveals the predator within. As he makes a great show of loving his little nephews, one of them jumps playfully on his deformity and he snarls and bares his teeth like a jackal."

A recent example I saw was William H. Macy in "Shameless", when an outraged woman screamed loudly in his face, he recoiled hilariously, with one eye shut tight and the other wide open in terror.  I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Steve K said:
    Mystarra said:

I think its the overall ability to "sell" the part in the given situation.  A YouTube video "Acting Shakespeare - Ian McKellen" is a 90 minute one man tour de force of classical stage acting by the great actor, using no costumes or props.  A more modern example is McKellen in the 1995 movie "Richard III".  Based on the Shakespeare play but set in a 1930's fascist London.  Roger Ebert (four stars out of four): "This is a film with a dread fascination. McKellen occupies it like a poisonous spider in its nest. Lurching sideways through his life, smoking as if it's as necessary to him as breathing, seductive when he wants to be, when angered Richard reveals the predator within. As he makes a great show of loving his little nephews, one of them jumps playfully on his deformity and he snarls and bares his teeth like a jackal."

A recent example I saw was William H. Macy in "Shameless", when an outraged woman screamed loudly in his face, he recoiled hilariously, with one eye shut tight and the other wide open in terror.  I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I LUV THIS CHARACTER, great laugh

Absolutely!

...and agreeing with Steve K, Ian can compell any story ~ what an amazing actor!

Hey, has anyone seen this? It's based on a Playstation game. I don't have game consoles of any kind (since the kids grew up and moved out), so I'm not entirely suprised that I haven't heard of it. Heavenly Sword is a cool CG movie that's playing for Free right now on Vudu. I watched it last night and really liked it. I'd add more but don't want to spoil anything for anyone who might want to check it out

Here's the movie trailer

tee hee

cant find the  rebel fighter french fries spoof

therz the money maker cgi  lol  make it rain

sar eesa takka 

this monster scared the crappe outta me when i was little  lol

edited January 2020