• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,006

Do you hunker or bunker... cool

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited July 2021

early physics problems solved in carrara

https://youtu.be/ptgGzGQjgEE

Post edited by Headwax on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hunker and bunker with those misty guys wendy posted.  tee hee.

bonk'er  laugh

boinklaugh

wondrin if a physics mythril chain mail tunic would work.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331
    edited July 2021

Headwax said:

anyone ever  uses surface coords to retexture an object ??

Not me, but it looks like it would be fun to experiment!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331

Headwax said:

early physics problems solved in carrara

https://youtu.be/ptgGzGQjgEE

Wow. 

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Just a reminder that Blender gets funded via companies making large annual contributions. Also via users buying content but I guess that is a smaller share. The M1 build of Blender should be out now, the x86 build works in the mean time.

Well companies need to make  funds to keep updating software and most are now moving to monthly subscriptions with new updates coming out almost everyone. This versus the old way of charging for a full upgrade every 2 or 3 years.Subscription base apps are: Microsoft 365, Modo, Cinema4D, Zbrush, Adobe everything, Vegas Studio and plugins, Acid Pro etc etc.

Ringo

DaVinci Resolve offers a free version with most features and a one time buy for the complete version. They are selling hardware so funding is coming from there too. There are othrr options than subs...
    C4D without renderer is 60 bucks, another 30 to get the Redshift renderer. Or 150$ in other countries. They just killed the AMD ProRender and the older renderers were already dead. Then you also need the 500$ particles plugin with annual support costs...
    edited July 2021
    Blender 3.0 is re-scheduled to October, should include the faster Cycles X renderer. Other updates are updated USD importer sponsored by Nvidia and updated character animation tools sponsored by Amazon.
    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • Hard to keep up with all the name changes around here.

What is Tafi? 

www.Tafi.com

https://maketafi.com/blog

Daz 3D, a Tafi Co Subsidiary, and Institute of Digital Fashion Launch Partnership and Digital Double for Pride

Jun 28, 2021

Driving the initiative for diversity in the digital arena and the growing metaverse

Daz 3D, a subsidiary of Tafi Co and a leader in 3D digital art, and the Institute of Digital Fashion (IoDF), a digital strategy and innovation institute that is a driving force in digital diversity and inclusion in the fashion industry, today released the first drop in their much anticipated partnership, a non-binary and photorealistic digital double, Catty 8.1. This release was developed with queer team members to represent queer voices and builds the foundation for these companies' longer term partnership and the goal of IoDF's work with Daz, to shift characterization into representation. Catty 8.1 was released for Pride on June 28, to mark the anniversary of the Stonewall riots in New York City, and can be found in the Daz 3D marketplace.

The owner of Daz3D, but the same roots as Daz3D, some more info here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/490606/tafi-who-daz-has-a-parent-company
    The last C4D vs Blender point, the Daz3d forums have new Blender and C4D sections, Blender is about 5-10x more popular. C4D is not bad when compared to the other forums though, but it is hard to beat a free app...

how are the shader rooms in those? is it plugs and wires, or more like carrara?

The advantage of both is that there is a huge pool of ready materials in the asset browsers or even more to download or buy. But if you need to make your own, they are going node based. Then there are the plugins from other material apps...
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925

3drendero said:

The last C4D vs Blender point, the Daz3d forums have new Blender and C4D sections, Blender is about 5-10x more popular. C4D is not bad when compared to the other forums though, but it is hard to beat a free app...

The difference is, using Blender only gives you half of the tools C4D does. If your looking for production and a good paint program C4D is a better option. The best app is Substance Painter but not everyone can dedicate that much money to an app your using for fun. If your just doing it for fun then stick with Blender. I tend to use a combo depending on what I'm models needs done to them. I go back and forth between Substance Painter, C4D, Mudbox, MODO, and Photoshop. When your in the field then it's just a writeoff for your taxes and the app usually pays for itself in 1-3 packs

its a weird rationale behind the bridges.

like they understand people would rather not use daz studio.

so why not support the other daz software for people who prefer not to use daz studio.

carrara could conceivably attract content creators if it had better export to duf tools. like export vertex models directly.

carrara's reasonable price range makes it a prime candidate for professional business work environments.  especially now that 3d printing is catching on.  a modeling tool with precise measurements.  i'm not an engineer, but i need to print to exact specs.

on a hobby level, i came to carrara after realizing poser wasnt filling my 3d needs.
    i originally rejected ds, cuz every feature seemed was a separate install.  versions and compatibility an extreme headache

• Mystiara said:

so why not support the other daz software for people who prefer not to use daz studio.

carrara could conceivably attract content creators if it had better export to duf tools. like export vertex models directly.

carrara's reasonable price range makes it a prime candidate for professional business work environments.  especially now that 3d printing is catching on.  a modeling tool with precise measurements.  i'm not an engineer, but i need to print to exact specs.

on a hobby level, i came to carrara after realizing poser wasnt filling my 3d needs.
    i originally rejected ds, cuz every feature seemed was a separate install.  versions and compatibility an extreme headache

The bridges are providing a way for people to get Daz content directly into their applications, it has nothing to do with whether people like, or use, Daz Studio or not.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Richard, what you said makes no sense.

In a perfect Daz world, everyone would be using DS and there would be no need for bridges.  However, some people prefer different 3D software than DS.  That is a simple fact. So, because some people prefer to NOT use DS, Daz is making bridges. 

Misty is merely pointing out that Daz is going out of its way to support software from other companies (to help them use Daz content easier), yet is reluctant to upgrade its own Carrara product (to help it use Daz content easier).  Since Daz starting building bridges, this point has been made in the Carrara forum many times.  Perhaps you just missed it.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227

Mystiara said:

Same here, except I gave up quickly on DS because Cararra was vastly superior, especially for animation.  Thankfully, there are still many vendors (not so much here at DAZ) bringing out new Poser content which works seamlessly in Cararra.  In the last year I have purchased nearly 400 Poser format items, but less than 20 from DAZ.

its like, they keep digging for gimmics and side dishes, but ignoring the meat and potatoes.  and in denial about it.

Richard Haseltine said:

Mystiara said:

The bridges are providing a way for people to get Daz content directly into their applications, it has nothing to do with whether people like, or use, Daz Studio or not.

makes total sense .... not! wink 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

Dartanbeck said:

Headwax said:

anyone ever  uses surface coords to retexture an object ??

Not me, but it looks like it would be fun to experiment!

thanks Dart - sorry I didn't see this - there is a tut usuing fusion ? i posted in the NPR thread - i'm interested in it for retxturing illustrations 

thanks for commenting on my video too

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

UnifiedBrain said:

In a perfect Daz world, everyone would be using DS and there would be no need for bridges.  However, some people prefer different 3D software than DS.  That is a simple fact. So, because some people prefer to NOT use DS, Daz is making bridges. 

Misty is merely pointing out that Daz is going out of its way to support software from other companies (to help them use Daz content easier), yet is reluctant to upgrade its own Carrara product (to help it use Daz content easier).  Since Daz starting building bridges, this point has been made in the Carrara forum many times.  Perhaps you just missed it.

+++

lol,

--ms

frank0314 said:

3drendero said:

The difference is, using Blender only gives you half of the tools C4D does. If your looking for production and a good paint program C4D is a better option. The best app is Substance Painter but not everyone can dedicate that much money to an app your using for fun. If your just doing it for fun then stick with Blender. I tend to use a combo depending on what I'm models needs done to them. I go back and forth between Substance Painter, C4D, Mudbox, MODO, and Photoshop. When your in the field then it's just a writeoff for your taxes and the app usually pays for itself in 1-3 packs

Yeah professionals can afford most apps and need the speed to keep the money coming in. But indies really need indie licenses that are 90% off the pro price to afford the hobby...
  • UnifiedBrain said:

I was taking issue with the "rather not use Daz Studio," which is more than people using other software (though it was late at night, so my reaction may have been unneeded).

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Richard.  I think if she had said "hate Daz Studio," then you would have a point.  But she said "rather not use" and "prefer not to use" which covers the majority of other 3D software users.

Yes, I am familiar with the dangers of posting late at night. :)

It is no secret that Carrara users here are generally happy with Carrara, and generally unhappy with how Daz has supported Carrara (except in Challenge prize support).  The sudden veering off by Daz to build bridges was kind of a slap in the face.  In effect, they were saying, "Not only will we not support getting our latest products into our own Carrara software, we will now support doing so in our competitors."  The old phrase is "adding insult to injury."

But you know that already.  We will continue to enjoy Carrara, and hope that administrators at Daz will eventually see the error of their ways.

It could be worse.  We could be a Bryce user, a fantastic software with even less support.

This discussion has been closed.