off topic thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133
    edited July 2021

Mystiara said:

philosophical thought

was mans so role in ecology to put up telephone wires to give squirrels a super hwy?

and the squirrels ecological role is to plant those tree nuts.  and thus a new treee is born

Telephone wires were also to inspire Alfred Hitchcock.  Birds.  surprise

birds.jpg
    600 x 398 - 52K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227
    edited July 2021

ringo monfort said:

Sometime this coming week I will receive the new M1 iMac 24 system and I will be looking for a new 3D software package. Right now the one that takes advange of the M1.chip is Cinema4D.

Sounds good, I've heard nothing but good about C4D, although I'm still committed to Carrara on Windows.  One other idea is E-on software's VUE, which I also use fairly regularly.  I find this: " running the apps on an M1
    architecture still requires going through Rosetta 2 currently".  I don't know what that means, but at least it sounds doable.  I used VUE for backgrounds for a short Carrara animation (starts ~0:36):

Post edited by Steve K on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,063

Unreal Engine is another possibility.

I am using it a lot lately.

As well as being free and compatible with many operating systems, it has terrain editing, brushable foliage, Niagara particles and numerous other bangs and whistles AND there is an extensive number of free assets including Quixel Megascans and monthy Marketplace freebies.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,006

stuffed potatoes are the best heart  yes

• HI Steve,

I will look into VUE also, I am sure htey will release a version that will take advantage of the M1 chips.

I also have an iPad Air 4th generation and I was surprise that  there are 3D scupting apps that are just amazing and very powerful for just  a few dollars compare to Z-brush.

Technology keeeps on moving it is too bad that DAZ 3D doesn't have the resources to invest in updating Carrara.

Steve K said:

ringo monfort said:

Sometime this coming week I will receive the new M1 iMac 24 system and I will be looking for a new 3D software package. Right now the one that takes advange of the M1.chip is Cinema4D.

Sounds good, I've heard nothing but good about C4D, although I'm still committed to Carrara on Windows.  One other idea is E-on software's VUE, which I also use fairly regularly.  I find this: " running the apps on an M1
    architecture still requires going through Rosetta 2 currently".  I don't know what that means, but at least it sounds doable.  I used VUE for backgrounds for a short Carrara animation (starts ~0:36):

• HI Dart,

I'm not saying good bye to the community. There are lots of great passionate artists here and love you all.

I'm just expanding my tool set and trying to keep up with technology. DAZ can't bring it here sooo I need to find it in other companies.

May have spent 5 months looking for a newWindows PC, I looked at the Surface devices and  I love them but they need a new release with faster chip sets. I looked at Dell, Acer, Asus, HP and I almost went for the HP 32 Inch all in one system. Monster of a systerm with a monster of a price but so Ugly. In comes the M1 chips on Macs and that totally change my direction and the new iMac 24 inch are beautiful. I wlll be keeping my old PC just so I can work with Carrara but I am going all in into the Mac. :)

Dartanbeck said:

Well Ringo, Thank you So Much for all you've done for Carrara over the many years you've contributed to it! 

I'll never (Never!!!) forget you, my Friend! heart

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

ringo monfort said:

Ringo

Nearly 60 dollars a month? Did i read that right? 

• Headwax said:

ringo monfort said:

Ringo

Yes it is 60 dollars monthly. I also like modo but currrently will only run in Rosetta not taking advange of the M1 Chip but I'm sure they are updating it but again it can also be a monthly payment.

If only DAZ would do the same with Carrara it would make some revenue to pay for the upgrades.

Ringo

• I am also going for REDSHIFT from Maxon. 

The GPU Renderer.

https://www.maxon.net/en/article/maxon-announces-redshift-for-macos-including-native-support-for-m1-powered-macs

Friedrichsdorf, Germany - April 13, 2021 - Today, Maxon announced the immediate availability of Redshift for macOS including support for M1-powered Macs as well as Apple’s Metal Graphics API. Redshift, the award-winning, production-ready renderer, offers a rich feature set including ray switches, flexible shading networks, motion blur, AOVs, deep output, layered EXR and much more. Unlike other GPU renderers, Redshift is a biased renderer that enables artists to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for production. As a Universal solution, Redshift is optimized for high-end performance across both M1- and Intel-powered Macs.

Redshift for macOS signifies a milestone, bringing cutting-edge cinematic rendering to Mac artists. And native support for M1-powered Macs means substantial efficiency improvements to workflows, since the integrated graphics in M1 provide a huge increase in graphics performance combined with low power consumption.

“When Redshift joined the Maxon family in 2019, extending support to our user community on the Mac platform was a top priority,” says Maxon CEO, David McGavran. “So we’re thrilled that creatives working in macOS environments can now take advantage of this powerful and flexible GPU-accelerated renderer built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production.”

Early testers of Redshift on macOS have reported some significant performance results. James Rodgers, Director at UK-based Lunar Animation reported, “We’re seeing some crazy results when rendering with Redshift on Mac Pro. A typical frame from the very effects heavy game cinematic we created for Mythic Legends, an action-packed strategy mobile game by Outfit7, previously took 26 minutes to render per frame. Now it’s rendering in only 58 seconds!”

Redshift for Intel-based Macs will be available this week. Support for M1-based Macs will be made available with the release of macOS Big Sur (11.3). As is typical with Redshift, updates to enhance stability and optimization will be regular and ongoing.

Supported Host Apps and System Requirements

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331

Well, going subscription-based would force this artist away for sure. Too starving the way it is.

Glad to hear this isn't "goodbye"! I actually started loking into C4D for the same reasons, but I just can't afford to go subscription - when those dark time (financially) roll in is when I Need my software the most - not have it stop working.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,063

12 months and you could have a cheap PC for $640 as well that could run Carrara, just saying...

first morning frost of the winter surprise

it's a bit chilly!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

12 months and you could have a cheap PC for $640 as well that could run Carrara, just saying...

Yep. PC's I can do. It may take me a while, but I don't have to pay subscriptions for building a PC. Photoshop was expensive for me, but I bought it (~$1,000.00). But when they refused me license for a newer version, I uninstalled it, bought PaintShop Pro and never looked back. That led me to Dogwaffle, which I adore, and also to Affinity Photo, who has kept updating since I bought it for $50, and never charged a dime for the new massive updates!

I'm really glad to see companies that are just as against Subscriptions as I am. It's fine for folks that make money on this stuff. But what about us poor folks who just want to make art?

Stezza said:

first morning frost of the winter surprise

it's a bit chilly!

It was 97 F by me today.

Yesterday I played drums for four hours straight in 85+ F outside in the direct sun! Funny thing is, I had the time of my life! :)

• Well companies need to make  funds to keep updating software and most are now moving to monthly subscriptions with new updates coming out almost everyone. This versus the old way of charging for a full upgrade every 2 or 3 years.Subscription base apps are: Microsoft 365, Modo, Cinema4D, Zbrush, Adobe everything, Vegas Studio and plugins, Acid Pro etc etc.

Ringo

ringo monfort said:

Headwax said:

ringo monfort said:

Ringo

Yes it is 60 dollars monthly. I also like modo but currrently will only run in Rosetta not taking advange of the M1 Chip but I'm sure they are updating it but again it can also be a monthly payment.

If only DAZ would do the same with Carrara it would make some revenue to pay for the upgrades.

Ringo

average aussie wage makes that 2 hours work a month. Reasonable. But average artists in oz makes less than 7493 us dollars from thier art. Guess the trick is not to be average.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ds 5.0 big wup,  so happy for them ... doh

• In Carrara history it was always my goal to recommend the latest in 3D technology to the Carrara developers. Such as HDRI, Global Illumination, Dynamic Hair, Particle systems, photometric lights, new sky and landscape editor, new User Interface. I wanted Carrara to be an affordable package with the latest features.This is what Eovia also wanted but the focus shifted when DAZ3D aquired the application. The focus was to support the DAZ 3D content library. While Carrara is a feature rich application DAZ 3D did prefered it's own baby DAZ Studio as the primary application to developed. The adopted kids didn't have a chance.They should have gone open source with Carrara  8 years ago or sold it to another company.

ringo monfort said:

In Carrara history it was always my goal to recommend the latest in 3D technology to the Carrara developers. Such as HDRI, Global Illumination, Dynamic Hair, Particle systems, photometric lights, new sky and landscape editor, new User Interface. I wanted Carrara to be an affordable package with the latest features.This is what Eovia also wanted but the focus shifted when DAZ3D aquired the application. The focus was to support the DAZ 3D content library. While Carrara is a feature rich application DAZ 3D did prefered it's own baby DAZ Studio as the primary application to developed. The adopted kids didn't have a chance.They should have gone open source with Carrara  8 years ago or sold it to another company.

Yup.

actually, if you have no need of current ds content, carrara is just fine

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

SileneUK said:

Is this product really new?  It mentions the use of Carrara 5x!  

Fantasy Taverns: A Workshop on Multi-Character and Atmospheric Scenes    surprise  Silene

https://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-taverns-a-workshop-on-multi-character-and-atmospheric-scenes

Dartanbeck said:

It's certainly much newer than Carrara 8.5, which came out before Digital Art Live was doing these as well as before the products they're working with.

Doug (Sagan?) might be using Carrara 5 because that's what he uses? Not sure. I wonder if that is Doug Sagan -  author of Carrara 1 Bible?

Oh wait... no! "Doug" is our very own chickenman!!! Must have been a typo? Where do you see mention of Carrara 5xx? That clearly looks like Carrara 8.5!

Good Day all,

I have not had time lately to look at the forums or to do any renders.

Yes it is I Doug the Chickenman who attended this DAL communit event.

every event i attend i spread the word and love of Carrara.

You may remember thees images from the Carrara challenge a few years ago using Carrara 8.5.

I have been attending a number of the DAL events along with my daughter.

https://www.digitalartlive.studio/

Mystiara said:

actually, if you have no need of current ds content, carrara is just fine

Agreed, I gave up on DS content long ago, while my Poser content still grows almost daily, just not much from DAZ.

its 1 thing to risk 1.99

that attack v burned me for 20.  got burned on the dforce hair

been giving Amazon and eBay a workout this week!  cool

very sad about Pam

edited July 2021

anyone ever  uses surface coords to retexture an object ??

Untitled-1.jpg
    745 x 637 - 410K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,418

Headwax said:

very sad about Pam

Will be missed !!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

very sad about Pam

Will be missed !!

So very sad.  I miss her teribly already.  I think they want comments concentrated in a single thread so that they can share the comments with Pam's family and friends.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/506501/sad-news-about-moderator-chohole/p1

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925

Diomede said:

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

very sad about Pam

Will be missed !!

So very sad.  I miss her teribly already.  I think they want comments concentrated in a single thread so that they can share the comments with Pam's family and friends.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/506501/sad-news-about-moderator-chohole/p1

So do we. She was a tremendously hard worker and a good friend. I thought of her as a mother figure on the mod team. She is sorely gonna be missed. Rest in peace Pam, we love ya. 

edited July 2021

prepping for a tropical storm. hazard winds.  eeks the weather page is red

edit, now its purple.  storm moved south

Post edited by Mistara on
This discussion has been closed.