off topic thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,133
    Mystarra said:

do 3d coat and marvelous designer do the same thing?

i dont understand how clothing meshes have such perfect quads,
    i cinch in a waist and it becomes tapered quads chaos

starting to think i could make some use of zbrush.

3D Coat is a sculpting, retopology, uvmapping, painting program.  One example of a workflow would be to insert a clay (voxel) sphere, use sculpting tools to make it look like a skull, then use retopology tools to overlay a low poly mesh with desired edge flow.  You can then create a normal map that calculates the distance from your low poly mesh to the original high res sculpture.  You can then uvmap and paint the low res retopology mesh.  Then export the lower res retopology quad mesh, along with the normal map and your painting maps.  Load in your program of choice.

- I am currently at the very beginner level of 3D Coat.  I would like to start with a low poly mesh modeled in Carrara or Hexagon, export it to 3D Coat, convert it to clay (voxels), sculpt more details, then use retopology, uvmapping, and painting.  Then export the model and maps for use in rigging, posing, animating, and rendering software.

Marvelous Designer is a dedicated clothing creation program.  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks.  was watching a zbrush tutt, it retropolythingee a mess to nice looking quads.

3d coat does it too?

i really just want something to even out the quads on a pinched in cylinder skirt/sleeve.

Mystarra said:

thanks.  was watching a zbrush tutt, it retropolythingee a mess to nice looking quads.

3d coat does it too?

i really just want something to even out the quads on a pinched in cylinder skirt/sleeve.

I'm just beginning to learn 3D Coat.  In theory, it does retopology also.  However, I have had my struggles.  Some successes and failures documented in the Art Studio forum.  See the posts above and below the linked comment.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5080136/#Comment_5080136

edited December 2019

thanks !

found an interesting md tutt  Marvelous Designer tutorial - How to create a 3d Rose

a rose no good without a really nice petal shader

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Diomede said:
    Mystarra said:

3d coat does it too?

I'm just beginning to learn 3D Coat.  In theory, it does retopology also.  However, I have had my struggles.  Some successes and failures documented in the Art Studio forum.  See the posts above and below the linked comment.

This is the bestest ever video I've come across for explaining anything of the workflow in 3DCoat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KpDE7jl_P8

thanks!  those retropollies pretty mysterious

Diomede said:
    Mystarra said:

3d coat does it too?

This is the bestest ever video I've come across for explaining anything of the workflow in 3DCoat.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

that exchange rate with AU  

was looking for the wiggles toys for my 4yo nephew.

only found it from an AU vendor on ebay.

• Mystarra said:

well since its crappy for us it's likely good for you

edited December 2019
    Mystarra said:

well since its crappy for us it's likely good for you

the ebay cart doesnt show the conversion.  it was a leap of faith.  took that leap for a 4yo who loves the wiggles. smiley

the shipping was higher than the toy price. 

hoping i hit most favo(u)red Aunt status after this.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 8,006

if you subtract about 30% ( makes it easier ) from the Aus$ that will give you an approximation..

so if some Wiggle figurines cost $25AU then it's about $18US plus whatever the postage is do same... wink

• damn I am used to my solitude,

Have a friend, a former neighbour coming over today to look at the car I want to get rid of as her  18 yo son is learning to drive, but so stressed at the thought of having people at my place even if it's people I like.

I have become a hermit.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331
    Mystarra said:
    Mystarra said:
    Diomede said:
    Mystarra said:

did you know, carrara can make a surface a particle emitter??? surprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprise

mind is racing with the possibilities

I did NOT know.  Sounds pretty cool.

Sadly you all missed Dimension theory's awesome particle simulations that used this

he had a few awesome YouTube videos no longer up  and all his stuff and sample car files were on the old forum not archived

all I found was this

the Carrara showreal has some of them

beautiful.  assumes was done with a destructo modifiers?

mebbe atomize?

How'd they doo that?  the colours be beauteous too

seriously, 800,000 bits of a sphere?

wabt to put somethin like that on my 2nd edition book cover. heartheartheart

One of his particles physics animations was called "Light as Substance", but I think that also worked as a theme for many of others of his. I think the particles themselves are lights that use effects tab to make them visible, but I could be wrong. Using forces is a whole world of possibilities with physics, and particle emitters are an amazing tool for feeding things... anything into those forces.

There's an amazing article in one of the 3dXtract magazines about using forces to get a spaceship to takeoff, turn and fly off, then return, turn and land. Sadly the Carrara 3 files didn't open (got an error). Those 3dXtract magazines have all of the original extra content attached, which is amazingly cool!

When I was working with a demon, I was thinking of the Balrog from Peter Jackson's LoTR, so I used the demon himself as the emitter and fire as the particles. The experiment was a success, but again, it was on this lowly laptop so I just stowed the knowledge and had to move on without perfecting the effect for that particular scene. It just took too many hours to tweak anything on this thing, so it was always just a 'go for it and try something' but then pass or fail drop it afterwards, and render results to incredibly low resolution to get the rendering down to just several long minutes per frame - it was horrible. Rosie 5 has been rendering with dynamic hair at 16-20 seconds per frame on my new machine!

My area has just been upgraded to a Catastrophic Fire Danger for tomorrow.  surprise

all schools have been closed ... basically if a bushfire starts we have to either get out or die!

I'll just do some wacky modeling with fingers crossed yes

with an eye on Fires Near Me

Wow... Stezza... you still with us? Fire is nothing to mess with!

Stezza, I just saw this post

My area has just been upgraded to a Catastrophic Fire Danger for tomorrow.  surprise

all schools have been closed ... basically if a bushfire starts we have to either get out or die!

For the love of the universe, be safe man

Yes! This is what I meant!

friends with fur are better heart

...and Loving friends with big, manly muscles too, right? ;)

• no manly muscles to help me lift my crap wink

I have to use my old lady muscles yes

Stezza, I just saw this post

For the love of the universe, be safe man

Cbird said:

Please take care, Stezza!

all good thanks yes

funniest thing was my daughter messaged me 'dad do you and mum have a survival plan?'

yep I said ~ the plan is to get in the car and go.... just one problem though

'what's that?' dear daughter said

Mum has gone out and I don't have the car!

granddaughter said 'Poppy, get the computer first!'

in other news... I resisted joining the PC+ for another year... seeeemples devil

Wow! Horrifying stuff blended with real life drama and the neverending imagination of the young! I have four grandchildren now (from the older siblings of those I've adopted) but my first granddaughter and I are incredibly close. She would say something like that to me as well. She wraps my whole world with comfy glee!

As for that last bit, I've adopted a 'thing' about PC+. See, as you've already guessed, I live a life of poverty so I can't really go drastically overboard like that - ever. That said, I pay my PC+ for a year at a time of year that I can almost always pay it again the following year. For a major portion of that year I might not get much of anything, exept that sometimes the PC+ freebies are some pretty cool items. There are always certain times of the year that allow me to get a LOT of the things I've been wanting for really cheap or even free. In all, going for a year without PC+ taught me that I feel a lot more inspired when I retain my membership... but that's just me.

Cbird said:

Random thought (likely been thought before): browsing the store I realized I'm suffering from cute critter envy. 3DU stuff that fusses in Carrara and Precious with all the geograft add ons tease us. This has likely been discussed before, but could we create a cute critter of our very own? A Carritter? (Hmmm, needs work). Maybe a generic quadruped that we could all work on parented horns, or wings, or tails for? Our own textures? Morphs? This could be a fun Christmas/holiday gift to ourselves :)

I started trying to model one, then remembered how questionable my modeling skills are. Dumb thought?

No... That's an awesome thought! Diomede's threads are filled with inspiration on this theme. I think it's amazing that Vyusur's figures work in Carrara, and that's a really warm thought toward possible future endeavors. 

As food for thought, check out the content browser that came with Carrara (if you have it installed). I think it's in Objects' Animation tab, there's an IK example character. Just a simple humanoid model to show off how to rig and setup IK on a figure, and it works really well.

I started not as a modeler, but a creative texture artist. So my mentor got me a license for 3DS Max (it was different back then, and he could get that through his work, since he did that for a living) so that I could work the UVs of the meshes and the textures in conjunction. So when I model in 3d, it's often just something very simple.

Watching Vyusur's YouTube time lapse modeling in Carrara videos, I've seen some techniques that are elegant, efficient and incredibly effective. I never hope to become even close to the modeler she is, but her inspiration and hints will undoubtedly make me better at what I do model.

Stezza and Diomede are constantly inspiring to model as well.

Just foods for thoughts.

I feel confident that, with my new experiences with Carrara's dynamic hair, I could probably get a nicely working furry coat working on such a thing! ;)

Cbird said:

oooooo

a project smiley

I volunteer to work on Carrara fur :)

Oh! Ooops... nevermind my last! LOL

~ sweet ~

I modeled this fella up today starting with a sphere smiley enlightened

a sorta cross between a koala a bird and a dog/foxy thing with running shoes

with a tee ... not boned but maybe a kickstart to be improved upon ~ all in the zip file

a Mascot for Carrara ~ I named this fella MasCarra surprise

Fantabuously Awesomistical!!! Love it!!!

Hi MasCarra!

Mystarra said:

Party On

Following these instructions today. Well... while animating, of course!

I really don't understand people and why they feel the need to make some of the comments they do on one's YouTube video.

I did not think I was a psycopath with an evil mind for rendering an animation

anyway I just deleted half my YouTube videos

not that one

I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment wondering why I even bother uploading stuff

Wendy, Don't pay attention to them! Do it for yourself and those who appreciate your work. There will always be people on line that bash others and spread hate. It's easy to do when you remain annonomouys and can hide behind your words. I've alway admired your work and what you do; how you selfishly help others, including myself. Our styles are completely different, but  you've been a big inspiration to me and countless others. Please don't give up!

Thanks Brian, that's exactly what I was just going to say!

...oh, and Wendy, you can post them for me too - because I enjoy them! wink

I need to rethink YouTube and what sort of content I upload anyway

Me too. At first I was thinking as you are, but then I thought... hmmm, maybe switch to Made for Kids? Hmmm the thinks I have to thunk!

...or is it thunks I have to think? So confused!

edited December 2019
    Diomede said:
    Mystarra said:

do 3d coat and marvelous designer do the same thing?

i dont understand how clothing meshes have such perfect quads,
    i cinch in a waist and it becomes tapered quads chaos

starting to think i could make some use of zbrush.

3D Coat is a sculpting, retopology, uvmapping, painting program.  One example of a workflow would be to insert a clay (voxel) sphere, use sculpting tools to make it look like a skull, then use retopology tools to overlay a low poly mesh with desired edge flow.  You can then create a normal map that calculates the distance from your low poly mesh to the original high res sculpture.  You can then uvmap and paint the low res retopology mesh.  Then export the lower res retopology quad mesh, along with the normal map and your painting maps.  Load in your program of choice.

- I am currently at the very beginner level of 3D Coat.  I would like to start with a low poly mesh modeled in Carrara or Hexagon, export it to 3D Coat, convert it to clay (voxels), sculpt more details, then use retopology, uvmapping, and painting.  Then export the model and maps for use in rigging, posing, animating, and rendering software.

Marvelous Designer is a dedicated clothing creation program.  

Diomede, congrats on getting 3D Coat!!! Sweet!

Misty, I think a lot of those 'perfect quad' clothing items are Marvelous or something similar. I seem to have minimal success with those in my work. Aery Soul is a classic example of really well modelled clothing if we need them to follow morphs and look cool doing it, because there are plenty of polys where we need them. The mesh in these cases tends to truly form around the shapes of the figure, instead of a blanket of even polys draped over. 

I certainly don't mean to offend, however, because there are some things with those even quads that work really well, and some the other way that don't... so it's a feel-as-you-go thing.

When I was making my own clothing for Genesis (very short stint in time before I decided to just buy my costumes! LOL) I started with subdividing and dynamically extruding a cube, as I often begin with modeling. I keep shaping and subdividing until I get something that fits and, yes, at that point the quads are still quite uniform in a lot of places. 

Then, before subdiving further, I'll soft-select shrink the mesh in areas where I need more polys for greater detail, stretching polys larger in areas where I don't need as many. Then 'sculpt(?)' the edges of the polys to form loops where the item will benefit for things like shape morph following, etc., So then further subdividing will build more polys in those higher detail areas, leaving the rest still quite uniform.

Then I look at stuff from these Greats that sell amazing clothing at Daz3d, and realize why I buy their stuff. But I still enjoy doing it for fun - and even to actually use if I get it good enough.

The upper right image shows soft selection to start adding (in a very simple, newbie manner) to the cuffs, and you can see I didn't do that anywhere else on that item yet - still in uniform quad mode. The left one was a simple, fun test and the lower one was just a first test of me using Genesis 2 in Carrara (I didn't make any of the clothes for that one)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    Diomede said:
    Mystarra said:

3d coat does it too?

Very cool! Always nice to catch a link to an awesome new tutorial I haven't seen. I don't have (yet) 3D Coat, but it looks like a wonderful Z-Brush-like tool that is more affordable to folks like me - and with really professional tools and workflow.

So when I'm daydreaming about eventually buying it, I like to peruse the cool videos on their own YouTube channel as well

...like this latest one

a cat problem  lol

Mystarra said:
    Mystarra said:
    Diomede said:
    Mystarra said:

did you know, carrara can make a surface a particle emitter??? surprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprise

mind is racing with the possibilities

I did NOT know.  Sounds pretty cool.

Sadly you all missed Dimension theory's awesome particle simulations that used this

he had a few awesome YouTube videos no longer up  and all his stuff and sample car files were on the old forum not archived

all I found was this

the Carrara showreal has some of them

beautiful.  assumes was done with a destructo modifiers?

mebbe atomize?

How'd they doo that?  the colours be beauteous too

seriously, 800,000 bits of a sphere?

wabt to put somethin like that on my 2nd edition book cover. heartheartheart

One of his particles physics animations was called "Light as Substance", but I think that also worked as a theme for many of others of his. I think the particles themselves are lights that use effects tab to make them visible, but I could be wrong. Using forces is a whole world of possibilities with physics, and particle emitters are an amazing tool for feeding things... anything into those forces.

There's an amazing article in one of the 3dXtract magazines about using forces to get a spaceship to takeoff, turn and fly off, then return, turn and land. Sadly the Carrara 3 files didn't open (got an error). Those 3dXtract magazines have all of the original extra content attached, which is amazingly cool!

When I was working with a demon, I was thinking of the Balrog from Peter Jackson's LoTR, so I used the demon himself as the emitter and fire as the particles. The experiment was a success, but again, it was on this lowly laptop so I just stowed the knowledge and had to move on without perfecting the effect for that particular scene. It just took too many hours to tweak anything on this thing, so it was always just a 'go for it and try something' but then pass or fail drop it afterwards, and render results to incredibly low resolution to get the rendering down to just several long minutes per frame - it was horrible. Rosie 5 has been rendering with dynamic hair at 16-20 seconds per frame on my new machine!

can't find Light as Substance.  get a lotta hits for substance painter 

This discussion has been closed.