Rendering Poser scenes in 3d 180 sbs video in Carrara

I have used this 3d camera and it works well.It is for Poser scenes imported or opened in default scale.

Comments

• My mum told me not to watch videos strangers post in the forums cheeky

Don't be a stranger, introduce yourself, or even post render or two angel

• intriguing wink a mystery Carrara user with a way to do side by side VR for Google Cardboard

• Apologies for not introducing myself.I am a long term dabbler in all things 3d,probably started with Viewmaster if you remember them.Always played around with ananglyph and computer generated depth maps etc.My interest has been rekindled with the VR headsets.The Victorians had there stereo card viewers and we now have our 3d headsets-nothing new!Anyway I decided to dust of my old copy of Carrara and see if I could make it produce some vr footage.After a great deal of trial and error I made this 3d camera and am quite pleased with it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

Very cool! Oh yeah... I loved my old Viewmaster! It was always a treat to run across a new pack of discs for it - just go away inside that wonderful little viewer ;)

So, once we have the finished render, what do we save it as, that BMP(RD) you have set in the video?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

On reading this,. i became confused,...   "It is for Poser scenes imported or opened in default scale"

What !

Surely there's no way to differentiate between an imported Poser scene, and a scene created in Carrara, using poser/daz3d type content loaded from the browser.

is there ?

phrasing it like that makes it sound as if it won't work with a Carrara built scene ( at medium scale),. and that potential purchasers would also require Poser in order to export scenes to carrara for rendering.

still confused ..after watching the clip.

• Hi Dartanbeck,you can save the image as a high quality jpeg.2400x1200 is a good size for both stills or animations.3600x1800 is good for stills.I am using a Samsung S6 phone with the VR Player Pro app(was free on Google Play).Using this to view my stills/anims,I find the best settings in VR Player are--3d-sbs-full dome-100 degree viewing angle.You can render your anims as Quicktime uncompressed and then convert them using the  AVS free video converter,it has output settings for various phones (Samsung 4,6 etc)-http://www.any-video-converter.com.If using you own video editor set out put for mp4 h264.

• Hi 3DAGE,sorry for any confusion.I have only ever worked with Poser and Carrara by setting up the scene in Poser with all props,sets etc and saving the scene.I then open the scene in Carrara for faster and better rendering,adding realistic sky etc.The camera I have made was built for this scale.I have just tried adding the Poser runtime to the Carrara browser and find that opening a figure in Carrara this way results in a figure the correct size.Would you be willing to try my camera if I send you the files? I would wellcome your advice about how to present it to more experienced Carrara users.

edited November 2016

Hi Dartanbeck,you can save the image as a high quality jpeg.2400x1200 is a good size for both stills or animations.3600x1800 is good for stills.I am using a Samsung S6 phone with the VR Player Pro app(was free on Google Play).Using this to view my stills/anims,I find the best settings in VR Player are--3d-sbs-full dome-100 degree viewing angle.You can render your anims as Quicktime uncompressed and then convert them using the  AVS free video converter,it has output settings for various phones (Samsung 4,6 etc)-http://www.any-video-converter.com.If using you own video editor set out put for mp4 h264.

Cool. I have a Galaxy S6 as well. So I need a viwer thingy to put the phone in then?

EDIT: Oh, and does it need to be rendered to Quicktime? AVI doesn't convert?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Hi Dartanbeck,you can save the image as a high quality jpeg.2400x1200 is a good size for both stills or animations.3600x1800 is good for stills.I am using a Samsung S6 phone with the VR Player Pro app(was free on Google Play).Using this to view my stills/anims,I find the best settings in VR Player are--3d-sbs-full dome-100 degree viewing angle.You can render your anims as Quicktime uncompressed and then convert them using the  AVS free video converter,it has output settings for various phones (Samsung 4,6 etc)-http://www.any-video-converter.com.If using you own video editor set out put for mp4 h264.

Cool. I have a Galaxy S6 as well. So I need a viwer thingy to put the phone in then?

EDIT: Oh, and does it need to be rendered to Quicktime? AVI doesn't convert?

Yes,you need a vr headset to put your phone in-there are quite a few on the market now.The cheaper ones are ok provided they have some focus adjustment.Avi will convert-I just found Quicktime had a slight edge in quality.

Thanks for all the info, blancmail75! Love your product, love the idea! 

Wishlisted... soon it will be mine! yes

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Blankmail :)

No problem :) i just though it was strange that it only worked with poser scenes,.

I would wellcome your advice about how to present it to more experienced Carrara users.

it would be better to correct the info on Rendo , to say that it works in Carrara in a Medium scale scene, and imported Poser or Daz3D scenes.

although,. i think it has to be tested in the other carrara scenes,. it should be possible to scale the camera to work in each scene scale.

Would you be willing to try my camera if I send you the files?

That's a very kind offer,. but' I'm probably not the best candidate to test your camera for VR scenes,  (I think that "Toe Jam" ,. Wendy),.. (if she has some free time), would be better suited, as she has been exploring making VR scenes).

I wish you success with it. and thank you for making something new and interesting for Carrara.

I hope we'll see more.

Andy

Yeah... I wish you success too!

I'm not ready to dabble with the whole world of VR yet, but I'll likely be getting this camera when I can, just to have it and try it out.

• I do not have any VR glasses cardboard or otherwise, the 360 videos I do I use the Chrome browser navigation provided to spin around.

So could not really test if it worked or not, sorry.

But its a cool thing considering the rising popularity of the VR videos.

edited November 2016
    ToeJam said:

I do not have any VR glasses cardboard or otherwise, the 360 videos I do I use the Chrome browser navigation provided to spin around.

So could not really test if it worked or not, sorry.

But its a cool thing considering the rising popularity of the VR videos.

..and we're right here at the dawn of this new age. It's really cool that we can grab this camera and jump on-board.

• ToeJam said:

..and we're right here at the dawn of this new age. It's really cool that we can grab this camera and jump on-board.

Personally, I think that just being a camera, you'd be a lot more profitable with a more affordable tag. Just an opinion without knowing anything about it. I bet most people will come up with their own solutions instead. But if it was just a few bucks, you'd get people buying it even if they weren't ready to use it. Just my two cents.

Yes ,I think your right-but of course Renderosity get 50%! Thank you all for your comments-I am going to have a big rethink-I shall return!

edited November 2016

This thing looks really cool!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

Well, probably not quite a million...

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016

(re-Edited)

Welcome to the Carrara group. We like folks that add features to our favorite toolkit!

$20 seems fair, I'll buy it soon. (one of the millions of happy customers :^)

Can your camera be used for animations (batch off an animation timeline for an image sequence)?

Can your camera settings (resolution, fov, location, etc.) be adjusted and/or animated?

Your youtube video is very useful and should be referenced by your product page. That's a good resource. I wish your product page had a bit more detail about the package.

Good crew in this forum, I hope you stick around and become a regular.

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,086
    edited November 2016

actually what will sell it is renders!

actual 360 stereoscopic videos people can watch on youtube etc

which is kinda why I did so many walkthroughs of DAZ 3D and Carrara scenes on my channel, I was quite overtly trying to showcase what Carrara could do with its spherical camera, and lo and behold D|S now has one finally too, well in the beta at least.

not taking any credit as they may well of planned it all along sheer coincidence, it could also be because iClone does 360 VR and is their compeditor in many ways but certainly actual videos get attention more than ads for a tool to do it.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

That scene is amazingly realistic! I don't think a casual observer wouldbe able to tell that wasn't real camera-work!

So the question stands - can this tool do stereoscopic views of the same? can they be animated? even if the posted renders were red/cyan start with (else 4K rez  x2 eyes... hmmm), I'm dying to know if it can even work!

The folks that 'see' this coming have a window of opportunity of some kind - I'm trying to figure out my 'angle', as it's so kick-butt!

cheers, and nice render, W,

--ms

• mindsong said:

Welcome to the Carrara group. We like folks that add features to our favorite toolkit!

$20 seems fair, I'll buy it soon. (one of the millions of happy customers :^)

Can your camera be used for animations (batch off an animation timeline for an image sequence)?

Can your camera settings (resolution, fov, location, etc.) be adjusted and/or animated?

Your youtube video is very useful and should be referenced by your product page. That's a good resource. I wish your product page had a bit more detail about the package.

Good crew in this forum, I hope you stick around and become a regular

Thank you.The camera can be animated-though as I say in the read me on Renderosity,a lot of motion when viewing in a vr headset is not a good idea! (sick bag at the ready!).Fov is fixed at 180 degree-the viewing "zone" is adjusted in the viewing app.As for resolution-the minimum I think acceptable is 2400x1200-which gives 1200x1200 for each eye with the "straight ahead" view encompasing 600x600 approx.I have just dropped the price to $9.99 so hope you hav'nt purchased it yet!The advantage of this camera over other methods of doing vr in Carrara is that the render is done in one go and then just needs converting for whichever Phone your using.

• actually what will sell it is renders!

actual 360 stereoscopic videos people can watch on youtube etc

which is kinda why I did so many walkthroughs of DAZ 3D and Carrara scenes on my channel, I was quite overtly trying to showcase what Carrara could do with its spherical camera, and lo and behold D|S now has one finally too, well in the beta at least.

not taking any credit as they may well of planned it all along sheer coincidence, it could also be because iClone does 360 VR and is their compeditor in many ways but certainly actual videos get attention more than ads for a tool to do it.

Absolutely love your work.I could post some anims-but without being able to view them in a vr headset you could not get the effect.The view with my camera of course only encompasses 180 degrees rather than 360,so as you turn your head you get to the "edge" at the limit of view.Unfortunately,as with videos,there are many different "formats" of vr and there is not a lot of sense to it-for instance the Oculus program included with the Samsung Gear VR supports 360 degree 3d videos but not 360 3d still pictures-their 360 still pictures are not in 3d!Plus you have to find out how to put special file name endings on the files to get it to work!Any way I am enjoying conversing wiyh you all.

Cheers

So what is the minimum setup that you can use that will work with your renderings?  Can I use it with an iPhone and Google cardboard?  If you can point people in the right direction to use with your product, it will help.

• PhilW said:

So what is the minimum setup that you can use that will work with your renderings?  Can I use it with an iPhone and Google cardboard?  If you can point people in the right direction to use with your product, it will help.

Yes,it will work with an iphone and google cardboard .I see that even Staples are now selling a headset under £20.As stated in the read me doc on Renderosity-some conversion of the animation will be required to work with the different phone types-I can recommend the free AVS converter-http://www.any-video-converter.com

Also this may be of interest-http://www.macworld.com/article/3036828/ios/how-to-experience-vr-on-your-iphone-with-google-cardboard.html

Thanks for the info - at these prices I am quite tempted to dip my toe into the VR world!

I thought $20 with some sort of Rendo discount was fair. 

I'll go get it and report back with any progress when I dig out of my current project hole!

tnx!

--ms

mindsong said:

I thought $20 with some sort of Rendo discount was fair. 

Absolutely!

mindsong said:

I'll go get it and report back with any progress when I dig out of my current project hole!

tnx!

--ms

Sweet!

• Just playing with the Carrara spherical camera.I had rendered a scene with 2 cameras slightly offset.After some manipulation in photoshop I loaded the scene into my phone and put it into my Samsung gear headset-put the headset on and WOW-I was standing in the middle of the scene and all in perfect 3d! I looked to the right and left-brilliant! Then I turned around and looked behind me-UH OH-of course the right and left had now swapped around (think about it)-headache time!-also looking down was very strange-Oh well,back to the drawing board!

Maybe need to do multiple spherical renders.  If the forward one works OK, then you would need to do another with the camera positions reversed for the rear views, and then select and combine the relevant parts in Photoshop.  I'm guessing this would fix the rear views, but the side views may lose the 3D effect as both cameras would effectively see the same angle.  So maybe four renders (for each camera) would be better still.  Just thinking out loud really.

• PhilW said:

Maybe need to do multiple spherical renders.  If the forward one works OK, then you would need to do another with the camera positions reversed for the rear views, and then select and combine the relevant parts in Photoshop.  I'm guessing this would fix the rear views, but the side views may lose the 3D effect as both cameras would effectively see the same angle.  So maybe four renders (for each camera) would be better still.  Just thinking out loud really.

Yes, I will continue playing around-but does'nt the time fly by-ok if you have accomplished something-not so if no results!