Limited Time Freebies Discussion Thread

1192021222325»

Comments

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 438

lorraineopua said:

SilverGirl said:

I was all jazzed that the backpack was in this batch of freebies... I've debated getting it several times but held off. Now it's free!

...and apparently it doesn't actually open, even though the description says it does. And you can't pose the straps, so short of fussing with meshgrabber (not worth it) you can't just use it as a prop in the corner, either.

Super glad I didn't spend any money on it... which sucks because it had a lot of potential.

The opening shape controller is in the Optitex Dynamic Clothing plugin

Oh, wow okay... thanks. I didn't even know that existed. Thank you. 

Elor said:

If you want an alternative, this freebie also has morphs to open it:

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/75689/backpack-genesis-2-female

Oh thank you! That one looks like the strap morphs will frustrate me a lot less. Appreciated. 

• New Daz Freebies. Eligible for June & July 2024 freebie challenges.

Comments: I should get the Fantasy Shields just so they stop showing up in my Lightning Deals! LOL And how did I not get the Trigger Fish ages ago?

G9: the usual Kin character/hair/poses & Angie dForce Jeans outfit

G2:Youth pose set (requires https://www.daz3d.com/growing-up-for-genesis2-female-s-v6);

Generation 4: Winter Magic (textures for https://www.daz3d.com/winterberry*); Moon Broom poses*^ (requires https://www.daz3d.com/moon-broom); Fantasy Shields (with M4 poses); Corset Dress unimesh fits; Faith outfit textures V4

Generation 3: D20 Gear outfit V3*

Other: Boudoir Photo Studio Add-on*; Mixies Bow Skirt; Garden Escape Arbor; Trigger Fish**

*works in Daz Studio

**works in Daz Studio and Carrara

^includes Cookie, Chip, & Michelle poses

• edited June 15

ETA: additional product info from @DanaTA & @ SilverGirl. Thanks!

Second set of June 2024 freebies, eligible for June and July freebie contests. I had questions about a couple freebies, so see footnotes. If anyone owns them and has more info, reply and I will edit. Thanks.

I may grab the Ikemen since there's a dearth of male youth and I don't always like the results I get with Growing Up. I forgot I have Beasts & Brutes. Might give some of them a try for the June challenge.

G9: Same Kin character/hair/poses & dForce Angie Cuffed Jeans set

G2: Wicked Ikemen(Lee 6); M6 Variety poses; (Teen) Josie(6) Sport poses;

G1: Space Age Behemoth Outfit (Infernal Behemoth & Skullcrusher Ogre)***; Beasts & Brutes (monster morphs)

Generation 3: Karuki Textures (A3 Karuki outfit); Kasha for A3

Animals: Dark Boarding textures (Horse 2); Daz Lamb

Other: HOT Boots (textures, dx30 Overknee Lace-up Boots)**;Cookie Button Shirt; Vacuum Cleaner*

*says Poser but it DOES work in DS

**these textures are most likely for the V4 version of the boots 

***Text states it is only for those 2 monsters, but there are a number of other base figure fits included, G1 & older

Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142
    edited June 15

The Space Age Behemoth outfit looks like it is on the female, as well.  Since it's Genesis, probably fits all.

Why couldn't they insist on telling which pair of boots the texture is for?  I looked at a couple, and they seem to look alike.  Even the help page is useless.  Why have that page it is not at all helpful?  Sorry, I'm as helpful as that page!

Actually, I looked at the release dates, and the ones for V4 and family (11686 ) seem to be the ones, since the release date for the textures is in 2011 and the boots themselves were released in 2010.  The Genesis 2 version was in 2014.  So, deduction says the V4 ones!

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142

Looking at the readme for the Behemouth outfit, there are morphs for a lot of base figures, even as far back as V3, M3, Stephanie 3, Hiro 3

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Other: HOT Boots (textures, dx30 Overknee Lace-up Boots)**;Cookie Button Shirt; Vacuum Cleaner*

*says Poser but it may work in DS

Can confirm vacuum works great in DS!

You can rotate the wheels, the "brush" (part on the front bottom that looks like a car fender), and the collector (back part that tips when you use a vacuum) within applied limits.

• DanaTA said:

The Space Age Behemoth outfit looks like it is on the female, as well.  Since it's Genesis, probably fits all.

Why couldn't they insist on telling which pair of boots the texture is for?  I looked at a couple, and they seem to look alike.  Even the help page is useless.  Why have that page it is not at all helpful?  Sorry, I'm as helpful as that page!

Actually, I looked at the release dates, and the ones for V4 and family (11686 ) seem to be the ones, since the release date for the textures is in 2011 and the boots themselves were released in 2010.  The Genesis 2 version was in 2014.  So, deduction says the V4 ones!

Sometimes newer versions of products like these keep the same UV so the older textures work. The classic DO Morphing Fantasy Dress  is like that and it was made every generation gen3 through G8F. 

I thought I owned the boots but it's a different set by the PA. Bummer, as I like the V4 pair I have (low heels!!) and they converted well with the RSSY script.

I missed all the Behemoth outfit fits somehow. I picked it up anyways last night. I hope it autofits to some later generations, including some of the heftier fantasy characters I have. Will try it & report back. 

@SilverGirl, I also have that vacuum & forgot about it. What can I do with it? I know! In the ancient 1970s Saturday Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon at least 1 of her aunts rode an upright vac instead of a broom. Halloween render! (Caution: If you only know the latest, darker Sabrina the 100% sweet 70s version could break your brain if you look up the videos. My (age 20s) daughter was horrified when I described the broom with a canopy and G rated plots. Bwahaha!)

I will edit my post.

• ElorElor Posts: 852
    edited June 15

It's a nice selection this week smiley

Two poses sets (I like the sports one), a clothes item, a character and a nice vacuum cleaner, alongside the usual products with dependencies I rarely own (but I'm getting them anyway, maybe the dependancies will be gifted at a later date smiley).

The vacuum cleaner still looks good after a conversion to Iray (a simple one, using the Iray shaders included with Daz Studio):

I have no idea if I'm allowed to share the material preset created, so I'll share the method I followed for those like 'Elor from the past' who may not know how to do it smiley

On every surface except glass, I applied the shaders while pressing on the CMD key (likely CTRL on a Windows computer), which means a menu will be opened before applying the shaders, allowing us to apply the shaders while keeping every images already used in place.

I used the 'Plastic - Smooth' shader on most surfaces, except the one named rubber (where I used the 'Rubber - Matte' shader), the one named metal (I used the 'Metal - Steel - Galvanized' shader) and the one named glass.

For the glass surface, I followed the advice given by @DAZ_cjones in this message, using the second method: I used the 'Glass - Solid - Clear' shader, changed the 'Transmitted Color' to Red=90, Green=84 and Blue=129 (these values were found opening the texture file in Affinity Photo, using it's color picker tool) and setting the 'Transmitted Measurement Distance' to 0.3 (if you want a darker glass, you'll have to lower that value, a clearer one, rising it).

Vacuum_Cleaner.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 297K
    Post edited by Elor on
  • Wow, the Vacuum does look good all prettied up for Iray. I always loved changing up shaders anyways.

I think the poses will be quite useful, since I have  https://www.daz3d.com/bone-minion-for-genesis-2-poses-for-genesis-3 & https://www.daz3d.com/bone-minion-for-genesis-2-poses-for-genesis-8-and-81 so I can use them with the figures I usually use, as well as the fantasy G2 characters I have been picking up lately. Highly recommend the Bone Minion scripts series.

Elor said:

I have no idea if I'm allowed to share the material preset created, so I'll share the method I followed for those like 'Elor from the past' who may not know how to do it smiley

On every surface except glass, I applied the shaders while pressing on the CMD key (likely CTRL on a Windows computer), which means a menu will be opened before applying the shaders, allowing us to apply the shaders while keeping every images already used in place.

Wait, what?? 

Well heck, I learn a new skill every time I come on here! Thank you!! 

• edited June 28

More Biweekly-ish freebies! Usable for June & July freebie challenge. This time there's much less ancient clothing &/or textures. Yay! The bad news, for me, is that I have most all of these that I have any interest in. 

G9: The perennial Kin character/hair/poses & dForce Angie Cuffed Jeans

G1: Magna Hart for Genesis Textures

Generation 4: Far Mate Blonde (3DL hair shaders); V4 Ultra Faces Set 2 (morphs)**; The Witch & the Warlock (V4/M4 character presets); Alpha Male for M4 Trekkers

Vehicles: Hot Air Balloon*; The Mercator (VTOL)*; Retro & Junkyard Jetpacks

Props, Environments, etc.: Robo Buds, Enchanted Island; Lizard Tribe Props

*works in DS

**requires V.4.1++ & V4 Ultra Morphs Set 1 

Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  • Gonna admit, the Robo Buds one put a grin on my face.

• protosynthetic said:

Gonna admit, the Robo Buds one put a grin on my face.

Mine too. I am picking those up. 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,924

They're free! Some fun stuff. I still skipped a few of the items. >_>