Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099
    edited October 2017

UB - Sorry, I haven't gotten that error even though I am trying to screw up the spline modeler.See ugly spline attached.  If it is still a problem, could you go step-by-step and I can try to recreate the problem and look for a solution.

In general, I use the pen tool on the front panel to draw the shape that I want the spline modeler to extrude.  Also, I use the pen tool to on a side panel to draw the sweep path if it is not standard.

In general, I use the add point tool if I have already drawn the shape on the front or have already completed the side extrusion path and I want to create an interior point for shaping.

aa01 cant replicate problem.JPG
    1641 x 964 - 160K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Aha!  I got the error.  The way I got the error was I drew a circular sweep path on the side panel that joined the first pont on the side.  If I then put another pen point on the side path, I got the error.  

But, I don't think I would want that kind of sweep path for a wine glass.

So if you get a chance, let us know what you are doing.

aa02 gott he error.JPG
    1127 x 887 - 105K
    edited October 2017

Just to get you going, I would suggest the following, although it is not the best way.

- start a spline model

- in spline modeling room, use circle tool, hold shift key, and drag a circle on front plane (fron camera if necessary).

- center the circle by using the menu options for section center.

- Make sure the geometry extrusion preset is translation, not pipeline.  Also, make sure geometry is on symmetry.

- Use the pen tool on the center path on the side wall.  Place two points close to start for the base, then give some length and place another point for end of stem, another point close to that for swell of glass, then give some length for the cup and place a point for the lip, then (counterintuitive!) place a point back towards the start near the bottom of the cup.  The track back won't work if you are in the pipeline extrusion preset.

- Now, it might look weird because the outside lines (blue) might be bunched on path (pink), but that is OK.  The outside lines have points at same area as path points.  Click the side points and pull them away from the path.  Pull wide at the base and the cup.  Pull narrow for the stem.

- Use the convert point tool on the points of the cup and handles will appear.  Use the handles to smooth the curves of the glass.

- Increase surface fidelity to improve the smoothness.

This is not an elegant method, but it should get you up and running in the spline modeler.

cc01 stat with circle o front translation geometry symmetry.JPG
    1534 x 1014 - 154K
    cco2 pen tool draw points straight out an straiht back.JPG
    1615 x 1026 - 150K
    cc03 move side points out for wine glass shape.JPG
    1510 x 1003 - 129K
    cc04 curve point tool to use handles to smooth curvs.JPG
    1598 x 1017 - 133K
    cc05 surface fidelity.JPG
    1065 x 897 - 98K
    edited October 2017

If you will be rendering in Carrara, I highly recommend adding the spline modeler to your toolbox.  For example, I have two objects in this month's challenge that have circular holes within circular objects.  It is annoyig to do in the vertex modeler.  I know because I did one of them (the revolver) in the vertex modeler.  Using a boolean for this in Carrara's vertex modeler would have resulted in an ugly mesh.  The alternative was tedious.  I wised up and did the dial for the phone in the spline modeler.  Very simple, just use the circle tool and place circles within circles.  Select all and combine as compound.  Painless.

holes and the spline modeler 1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 39K
    holes vertex modeler pain in the butt.JPG
    1142 x 856 - 120K
    holes arrange as compound.JPG
    1153 x 759 - 88K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

Just to get you going, I would suggest the following, although it is not the best way.

- start a spline model

- in spline modeling room, use circle tool, hold shift key, and drag a circle on front plane (fron camera if necessary).

- center the circle by using the menu options for section center.

- Make sure the geometry extrusion preset is translation, not pipeline.  Also, make sure geometry is on symmetry.

I have become very good at all that, unfortunately, as I have done it dozens of times.

Diomede said:

- Use the pen tool on the center path on the side wall.  Place two points close to start for the base, then give some length and place another point for end of stem, another point close to that for swell of glass, then give some length for the cup and place a point for the lip, then (counterintuitive!) place a point back towards the start near the bottom of the cup.  The track back won't work if you are in the pipeline extrusion preset.

This is where the rubber meets the road.  Either I get the error message when I stop dragging and start again, or the whole thing starts going off in unintended directions.  At first I thought that I might not be starting with the pen tool on the mid line, so maybe that was the problem.  Thirty or so tries later - one was semi cup-looking - I had to admit defeat.  If there is a trick to it, I have been unable to figure it out.  The weird part is that when I first followed Phil's spline tutorial a few months back, I was able to make a cup just fine.  Something is different.  Maybe I just got lucky.

Thanks for trying to help, Diomede! 

edited October 2017

OK, here is another try because the spline modeler is worth the effort.  

This time, instead of focusing on the center path and only pulling the outer paths after they exist, lets focus on shrinking the center path and then extendng the shapes using the outer path.

- Start a new scene.

- insert a spline object.

- Use the circle tool to draw the base shape on the front panel while holding the shift key.  Use the section menu to center the circle. Use the front camera if necessary, but return to director camera when done.

- Make sure translation and symmetry are chosen in the geometry menu.

- If you look on the side pane the center pink extrusion path should be medium length.  We don't want that right now.  Just use the selection tool (not the pen tool) and click the end of the center path and drag it back towards the origin until it is right next to the start.  Can hold the shift key while dragging to make sure it is a straight line. 

- click on the side blue line to make it active.

- NOW, click the pen tool to make it active.  Click on the side panel to the right of the current point and you will see all the lines extend because symmetry is on.  Use the pen tool to draw your outer side shape.  You can back track towards the origin to scoop out the interior of the glass.  When you add points, the symmetric points should be added to all other side panes and the center path should get a corresponding point.

- Use the convert point tool to get the smoothing handles and shape to taste.

- Increase surface fidelity.

gg01 spline.JPG
    1299 x 947 - 110K
    edited October 2017

And many times you can use projection mapping for textures, or the drawing tool in the shader room.  I stuck the Carrara logo on the cup.

carrara cup.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    Diomede said:

OK, here is another try because the spline modeler is worth the effort.  

This time, instead of focusing on the center path and only pulling the outer paths after they exist, lets focus on shrinking the center path and then extendng the shapes using the outer path.

- Start a new scene.

- insert a spline object.

- Use the circle tool to draw the base shape on the front panel while holding the shift key.  Use the section menu to center the circle. Use the front camera if necessary, but return to director camera when done.

- Make sure translation and symmetry are chosen in the geometry menu.

- If you look on the side pane the center pink extrusion path should be medium length.  We don't want that right now.  Just use the selection tool (not the pen tool) and click the end of the center path and drag it back towards the origin until it is right next to the start.  Can hold the shift key while dragging to make sure it is a straight line. 

- click on the side blue line to make it active.

- NOW, click the pen tool to make it active.  Click on the side panel to the right of the current point and you will see all the lines extend because symmetry is on.  Use the pen tool to draw your outer side shape.  You can back track towards the origin to scoop out the interior of the glass.  When you add points, the symmetric points should be added to all other side panes and the center path should get a corresponding point.

OK, that works if I just click and make points with the pen tool.  I just made a perfect martini glass, which is mostly straight lines.  But dragging to make smooth curves is not possible.  Yes, I can probably simulate that by making a lot of points, and smoothing them to some degree, but it still doesn't explain why I can't "sculpt" like Phil does in the video.

Also, why does removing the center path make this workaround work?  I guess that I just don't understand the underlying theory.

Anyway, I appreciate your efforts!

edited October 2017

I just made a perfect martini glass, which is mostly straight lines.  But dragging to make smooth curves is not possible. 

It should only take 6 or 7 points to make a smooth martini glass with a wide base, narrow stem, and wide cup.  There is an icon tool with a little plus sign.  After you use the pen tool to outline the general hape, use this plus icon to convert static points to cuve points.  The little handles will appear.  Click and move the handles to sharpen or soften the angle of the point.

EDIT:  Use the convert point tool, not the plus sign tool.

Diomede said:

There is an icon tool with a little plus sign. 

Where is this located?  The only icon tool with a plus sign I see is the add point tool.

Diomede said:

After you use the pen tool to outline the general hape, use this plus icon to convert static points to cuve points.  The little handles will appear.  Click and move the handles to sharpen or soften the angle of the point.

This sounds interesting and useful.  But the larger point of being unable to drag a curve remains.

edited October 2017

Sorry, meant the first one, not the one with a plus.  My bad.

hh01a oops.jpg
    1527 x 1007 - 265K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

LOL... better hold onto that one... it looks a bit tipsy. :)  Thanks very much for helping UB... I need to practice in the Spline modeler at least a few times a month before I can help anyone... I've used it before but my problem is I do something once but never go back and learn more. "Practice makes Perfect"... hey all I need is practice, practic, practice.   Spline models use very low memory compared to vertex objects... this helps when you have a lot of both or only spline objects in a scene.

below is a pic for some wine glass styles and base sizes. grabbed it off google pics... this is from webstaurantstore.com...  note that there are many different styles which are very different... one I saw even has a square base.

wine_lg.jpg
    1120 x 388 - 106K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,881

​John hasn't been around for a few weeks now......  

hope all is ok with his hip and that.... frown

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,264

I've been quiet lately as I've been busy working on my latest project - here's a work in progress....

I love this! yes

Stezza said:

​John hasn't been around for a few weeks now......  

hope all is ok with his hip and that.... frown

Me too 

I really like this thread. Lots of fun stuff throughout!

John also has a thread in the Art Studio forum.  Also recommend keeping an eye out there to see if he pops up. With his physical therapy, he may be commenting on others before he has a chance to sit long enough to model his own stuff.  John, if you are lurking, sending you positive brainwaves for your recovery.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,203

I use low poly characters fairly often, but sometimes they're a little too low.

More Pixels.jpg
    759 x 338 - 91K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I knew Kryten had a missus . .  or four!  laugh

That's really cool, Steve!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,937

That's really cool, Steve!

yes, !

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,937

this is a terrific thread - i hope it can be waybacked in case of vanishing

• whdjohm was last active Nov3 so hopefully just healing from his hip surgery 

sitting by a PC may not be best for that at this point

get well soon heart

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,203

Maybe you folks knew what it was, but here is "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say ... 

Maybots.jpg
    800 x 450 - 150K
    th3Digit said:

whdjohm was last active Nov3 so hopefully just healing from his hip surgery 

sitting by a PC may not be best for that at this point

get well soon heart

+1 

In the terrain room, what would be really useful is if you could just nudge the terrain in some direction. Here's a terrain that's almost exactly what I want, if only I could reposition the features so the end of the valley isn't cut off . . .

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 18.28.38.png
    1673 x 1110 - 418K

Can you export the heightmap, load it in an image editor, duplicate and slide down, then copy the fringe and paste back on while filling in the valley.  Then save as a new heightmap to be reloaded.

Or, you could try the terrain editing tools within Carrara but I find them too clunky.

Might be worth a try. I think that stops the terrain from being editable, but we'll see what happens...

It collapses the terrain filter layers to a single filter.  Hope you duplicated the terrain first and created a new master.  Keep your filter layers that way.

Multiple masters, multiple saves (I learnt that one the hard way wink)