Black polygon plus Hexagon Bridge randomizing figures

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
edited October 2012 in New Users

So I'm building myself a nice old-school low polygon figure and I've noticed this odd glitch. One of the polygons appears black even in the using the high quality render. The object is symmetrical but the cloned shoulder does not have the glitched polygon.

Also, trying to model a really nice looking butt with as few polygons as possible is a really interesting challenge.

low_poly_glitch.jpg
1280 x 752 - 138K
Post edited by ghastlycomic on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

When that happens, it is usually a reversed Face Normal, and the untextured side of the poly is shown. Why the cloned side works I am not sure. Try and fix it in your modelling program. What are you creating the model in?

Also, neither DAZ Studio or Poser like long thin triangular polys. You should really be striving for quads rather than tris.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 1969

I'm modelling in Hexagon.

I've noticed another problem with that might be accounting for why the polygon got flipped.

I sent my figure to Daz 3D using the Hexagon Bridge. This is what is happening to the figure that is send via the bridge, it is getting slightly randomized. Especially in the shoulders and hands.

bridge_problem.jpg
    1070 x 742 - 151K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

TIP: For Hex, Always save out the OBJ file before send to DS. I do not know why it works but it does on my PC. Your mileage may vary all PC's are not the same.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,573
    edited December 1969

You have a couple of big n-gons, polygons with more than four vertices, there - that's to be avoided where possible.

Another thing that can give you a black triangle is having a quad (four vertex polygon) with one vertex more-or-less in line with two others, on the mid point of an edge of a triangle in effect.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll break up those n-polys into quads then, my figure only has 1642 polys in it and most of them are in the head so breaking those ones up shouldn't affect my economy too much. I'll take a look at that triangle area to see what's going on.

I guess it's not the bridge because when I export as an obj DAZ randomizes those polys the exact same way.

edited October 2012

Woohoo!!!! Thanks gang. Going though and fixing up all the polys with more than 4 sides did the trick. Now everything is working great and I've still got only 1714 polys in the figure.

I'll definitely have to keep in mind that in the future no more than 4 sides per polygon.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Crap. Should have caught that. Brain not working 100%, major insomnia, been up all night now.