Why not consider annual / monthly subscription for Carrara?

2»

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807

Thank you Anthony. 

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited May 2016
    Realtime said:

Having been Carrara user for many years, I can rememer the days when Daz first aquired the software and was very engaged with the community. When V6 and V7 came out there was alot of excitement as they introduced new features to the community each day. Those days are gone. I digress.

R.I.P   Carrara. no

Post edited by argus1000 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

It was stated in a post by one of the senior guys from Daz, towards the end of last year, that Carrara was being worked on.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Last year there was the update for the SQL DB so there had to be some development to move from Velentia to Postgre DB.

Little bits at a time, not biting to much to chew on.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I don't understand why anyone would imagine that there is some type of connection between "how you pay" for software,. and the level of support and development you recieve.

the two things are NOT connected,. they are completely different.

The retailer sets the product price, and the developement structure,. 

If the retailer doesn't generate enough income from the product sales to support development of that product,.

is that the customer's fault ?  

should the customer try to help the retailer ?. ... perhaps by using a different payment method to pay in installments rather than a single flat fee,. ...

because that would make no difference.

Daz3D's posing Studio is given away for "free" in the hope that new customers will purchase content in the Daz3D store. (selling content is still the MAIN reason for this web store)

it's development is funded by the income from the store

Studio been regularly updated since it's release,. free of charge.

how does that equate to what's being asked of Carrara users here.?

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    Cbird said:

This is a good idea. Carrara development is good. It would be a good thing to support this. Tomorrow will be a good day.

For any Twilight Zone fans.

This whole idea should be wished to the cornfield.

edited May 2016

Last year there was the update for the SQL DB so there had to be some development to move from Velentia to Postgre DB.

It's been six years since a new version was released. If these guys still need smaller bites, thery're in the wrong field.

Post edited by TGS808 on
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    Chohole said:

It was stated in a post by one of the senior guys from Daz, towards the end of last year, that Carrara was being worked on.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    TGS808 said:

It's been six years since a new version was released. If these guys still need smaller bites, thery're in the wrong field.

It's 2019 already? How time flies.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited May 2016

RE: subscription approach to software ownership rights.

​I'm not a fan of subscription approaches to products and services.  I want to own a working copy of my software frozen in time. Sometimes software gets updated for features that I not only don't need, but that actually interfere with my existing workflow.  I want to be able to opt out of these "improvements" without also losing my existing workflow.  Other times updates add features that I want.  If so, I want to be able to purchase the upgrade.  Yes, subscription assures me of continued development, but it also locks me into features that I might not want.

Carrara example - some people don't care about the joint improvements and autofit features of genesis+ figures, so really don't care about many of Daz's recent focus.  They wouldn't want C 8.1 to stop working if they don't buy C 8.5.

This is a good topic to bring up and discuss, and I can see how some people might like the idea, but count me out.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited May 2016

With WVD and Octane I really can't think of anything else I need. Things I'd like yes, but features I really need; to do everything I want to do... nothing. Right now where Carrara is, along with these awesome 3rd party additions, I feel like everything I want to achieve but can't yet, is more a lack of experiance and skill rather than me not having the tools. 

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I rather like Allegorithmic's approach with Substance Live - it's more like hire purchase than a subscription, so after 16 months, you own the software.

edited May 2016

It's 2019 already? How time flies.

No, it's still 2016. v8 was released in 2010, which was six years ago. v8.5 (2013) was nothing more than bug fixes that finally made v8 stable (three years after it's release). The addition of new features and functionality in v8.5 was minimal to say the least. And the features that were added were pretty lame.  

So, yes, six years since a proper update. But even if we are going to go by your count, three years (and counting) without an update is pathetic.

Post edited by TGS808 on

RE: subscription approach to software ownership rights.

Subscription based software is for suckers. It is the apex of corporate greed. That Adobe has gotten so many sheep to follow is astounding. 

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 552
    edited May 2016

Why does every one call Carrara "she" ? any proof of that ?

I would think 98% of "amateur" software users refuse to go near any form of subscription software (myself included), stop paying and it's gone, professional/commcercial users on the other hand often like subscription***, that's why Autodesk and Adobe get away with it (expensive software, lots of companies as customers).

Why worry so much that it will be gone one day ? if it was subscription and the company goes belly up you are fried, but with pay once you can (most of the time) continue to use it anyway, some Lightwave users still use Lightwave 9.6 from the stone age and are happy with it just as an example.

If anyone would even start thinking about subscription software of anything I use I would run like h**l and find something else.

*** = They don't give a rats ** about the software if they shut down the busines or are no longer interested in it so subscriptions is fine, subscription usually also mean they get a good support deal so they can call someone in India when they run into the wall.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

No way would I pay by subscription. Adobe went down that road and lost me.

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    wgdjohn said:

No way would I pay by subscription. Adobe went down that road and lost me.

Lol, I cannot feel for you there, Adobe never had me, never had any of their products except Photoshop Elements (did not like it, BTW) which came for free when I bought my tablet...

smiley

• Nope.  I stayed with Ps CS6 because Adobe switched to subscriptions.  I stayed with Sonar X3 because Cakewalk switched to subscriptions.  I'm not going to pay rent in order to have continuing access to my own work.  Period.

-Gordon.

• blindmanblindman Posts: 22

As much as I like carrara( I use it all the time) I too would drop it. A subscription based licence means you never control unlike a perpetual licence.

Regardless of what companies say the changes they make are not primairly for the benifit of the end user.

The subscription system provides a quantifiable method of projecting revenue streams and gives the company leaverage over its customers. With the perpetual licence the customer has the option not to pay and cant be forced under threat of loss of access the software.

Subscription NEVER !

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

When is enough --enough ?

I also stopped buying Adobe when it went to subscription. I would guess that Adobe has lost income going to a subscription base..  However it was a trade off with piracy that was ever increasing.  When you are charging over $1000 for a suite...there is a lot of incentive to steal.  Another problem Adobe was having was coming up with enough bells and whistles, not to mention real desirable features so as to keep the Adobe users eager to buy the next version. You change the interface, etc..for example what do you do with Photoshop..Most of the layer manipulation, filters ., etc. which you need are in the previous editions...Why does the average user.. really need it to upgrade?  For most image manipulation all you need are the basic tools found in PS 7 and even earlier. In other words...Adobe made it too good for their own good.

I think you have to consider Carrara as you would Adobe products if you are against subscripton.  You have what you got....forever or until it no longer runs on a new OS.  You have all the tools you need to turn out  "professional work"....meaning work that can be sold for money.  I am constantly reminded of this when I view 3D work on TV..... Much of it, ..no most of it could be created in Carrara....and perhaps some of it is.   In my view it is the post production that determines how "professional" a 3D clip appears.  If you try to do it all in Carrara...or in any 3D  program for that matter...You will have a tough, time consuming project.   I recently saw a movie which showed an aerial 3D of the Roman port of  Ostia Antica...  It was all done in layers and I thought that it could just as well have been down in Carrara..    I have reached the conclusion that Carrara will not see any further upgrades...But I am not worried about this at alll.  Everything I need to turn out really first rate work is already in place....I just have to use it in an optinum way.  As an earlier post said...first learn how to use all the features... only then ask for more.