HDR Lighs creating an image outside my window

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

I am having an issue here. I have some nice HDR lights but when I use them, there are images outside my windows and not always the same ones(creepy) I was told that I had "Draw Dome" on and just to turn it off and that would use the lights but not the image. I tried that and it didn't change anything. So I put a primative plane outside the windows and spaced it back far enough to let light in but also scaled so it does cover the windows. When I render, often the plane will be offset to where it's NOT covering the windows and I get this weird psychodelic image out there. The attached picture shows the render result and then how it looks in the viewport. How can I fix this? I have a normal scene set but then outside it's Alice in Wonderland and it's taking away from the overall asthetic. Any help would be appreciated.

Capture.JPG
686 x 595 - 57K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,166

I can't figure out what is happening there - could you show a larger screenshot of a simpler scene that shows the issue?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,003
    edited May 2016

Do you have a background image (Environment tab) activated, for example, accidently plugged the HDRI image into the background image?

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Please post a screen shot of the Environment panel in the Render dome.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,492

Could it be a reflection on the window glass?

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

It might be a reflection in the glass! This scene has three walls. The wall with the windows faces out into the grid. If that's what's happening, can I correct that?

Tobor, do you mean the Environment panel in Render Settings? Like when I click on environment there and then apply my HDR?

I will upload a bigger screen shot and a view of my Environment Tab when i get home. Thanks for the help so far.

I think Tobor is referring to the Environment pane. You can access it from Windows>Panes(Tabs)>Environment. It allows you to select a color or image to be rendered behind your props and characters. If you are unaware of this feature, it is unlikely that you accidently set it up, but it wouldn't hurt to check that.

As far as getting rid of the reflection, you could change the surface material settings for the glass to make it non-reflective, I suppose. But a nice reflection adds to the realism, don't you think? I don't think it is reflecting "out into the grid", because if there is nothing there, it would have nothing to reflect. Of course if you have other props out there away from your room, they could be reflected if they are lit up. What do the other walls look like in your scene? Is it reflecting one of those walls? Are there any mirrors on those walls, causing the window to reflect other reflections?

edited May 2016

I tried changing the selection in Environment Tab from Backdrop to None and all it did was show the grid outside. I tried everything you all mentioned and got the same result(Pic1) This is what my Environment Tab looks like(Pic2) and this is after I just switched to a different HDR(Pic3) Much better! Not sure if this solves my problem 100% but at least for this scene I'm okay. Thanks for your help!

Room Render.png
    959 x 638 - 809K
    Screenshot.PNG
    1366 x 768 - 615K
    Solved.png
    959 x 638 - 1M
    Post edited by DDCreate on
    edited May 2016

I did mean the Environment pane in the render panel. Not to doubt you, but I'm just curious if you have indeed turned Draw Dome to off. There are other off/on switches in this pane, and it's easy to get things confused.

You should definitely not see the HDRi image if Draw Dome is off. You can verify this is the case by loading a new scene, with no setting or figures. Just apply the HDRi. 

If you are getting the HDRi image, even though Draw Dome is set to Off, you might wish to close D|S and restart your computer. This will ensure all temporary files are removed for the next render. There is some carry-over between renders, and this should help avoid any transient glitches.

That said, it does look a bit like the windows are reflecting stuff on the side of your set behind the camera. Doing a test render without the set or characters will easily show if this is the case.

Post edited by Tobor on
    DDCreate said:

I tried changing the selection in Environment Tab from Backdrop to None and all it did was show the grid outside. I tried everything you all mentioned and got the same result(Pic1) This is what my Environment Tab looks like(Pic2) and this is after I just switched to a different HDR(Pic3) Much better! Not sure if this solves my problem 100% but at least for this scene I'm okay. Thanks for your help!

Yes, but it is supposed to just show the grid outside. In "Type" there should be "none". If you render then, you will have only "space" outside.

And the HDR lighting will still work?

Tobor, I swear the Draw Dome is set to off. I check it all the time thinking it might have toggled back on. That was the first bit of advice I got on this issue and tried it right away to no avail. I think it might have just been a funky HDRi

edited May 2016

They will work if they are plugged into the right slot. From what I gathered, you are inserting them into the Environment Tab, where the "Backdrop" option is? (I apologize if I misunderstood what you  are posting. It's late and my brain is kind of fried.)

A HDRI image has to go into the Envirinment tab, but that tab is inside of the render settings:

You have to right-click on the "Envronment Map", and insert your HDRI there.

rendersettingshdri.JPG
    566 x 390 - 33K
    rendersettingshdri2.JPG
    492 x 730 - 61K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
    DDCreate said:

And the HDR lighting will still work?

Tobor, I swear the Draw Dome is set to off. I check it all the time thinking it might have toggled back on. That was the first bit of advice I got on this issue and tried it right away to no avail. I think it might have just been a funky HDRi

Draw Dome doesn't need to be on to create the *light* from the HDRi. The setting only displays the actual image.

If Draw Dome is off, and you have verified it's not a reflection from the set itself (render an empty scene only), then a reboot is called for. Occasionally, Iray settings get funky -- such as lights no longer working -- and restarting your computer often fixes it.

The HDRi itself will have no effect on, or control of, the Draw Dome setting. This setting alone controls whether the HDRi image is displayed or not.

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

From what I know, having the draw dome OFF won't make the environment visible behind the windows, but it will still be reflected in the glass.

• Redgamer369Redgamer369 Posts: 48
    edited October 2023

Rafmer said:

From what I know, having the draw dome OFF won't make the environment visible behind the windows, but it will still be reflected in the glass.

That is the annoying thing we still don't have an answer for. Iray imitates reality and sometimes it makes the job harder? Not everyone here is a professional photographer you know.

I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anyone if they invent a real draw dome off button that does the job unconditionally. Just a thought!

Post edited by Redgamer369 on
  • Hurt who? Daz does not develop Iray. I think it is probably at least partly down to Daz that we have the new ghosting options at all.