Permanently pointing to correct folders

ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
edited December 1969 in New Users

Downloaded a freebie and while the parts within "work", the textures seem to be pointing to the wrong place. After moving them to where they should be, I was wondering if there was any way to permanently point at the new location.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hmm.. Need more info, I'm confused. Do the textures Load but in the wrong place or does it ask you to Find a missing Texture?

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Prompts to find the missing texture. This is for the Thyla Hair freebie and the the various hair color options are pointing in the wrong spot. Since a handful of freebies have had texture problems in the past, I was wanting to try to figure out if I had any options outside of searching every time.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Three ways to solve this:

1) Edit the file paths to point to the correct location
    2) Move the texture files to where the content file is looking for them
    3) After specifying the path, save as a material preset. You can then load the material preset and it will have the right path.

Number 3 is the easiest and safest if you aren't comfortable editing the files, but editing them isn't difficult. Make a backup copy in case something gets messed up.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I am chicken so I always opt of choice number 3. :) I must learn number 1 some day.

edited December 1969

Oh come on, folks. I've been editing files for years. I hate broken files.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Oh come on, folks. I've been editing files for years. I hate broken files.
    Alright Jaderail, don't get cocky over one little thing. I know what I know, I never said I know the other stuff. Humm that remnds me of another post somewhere. :)

Looks like we need a tut of how to edit the text files. ;)

edited December 1969

That's easy, most of the time it's just the file paths. Some folks forget to put the relative paths in and leave the hard coded test paths in the files. I don't have TextEDII anymore or I would show two files side by side. I'll look for a new editor and get back when I can.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I forgot this feature of Notepad++, ty. I'm going to have to load it up again. I used to use it a lot for coding and web page design to force myself to not rely on automated code complete and hints.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Some folks forget to put the relative paths in and leave the hard coded test paths in the files.

In all the years I've been using first Poser and then DAZ|Studio, this has been one of the most common causes of broken content. Mostly in freebies, although I must admit it's been quite a while since the last time I came across this glitch in an actual paid-for product. Easily fixed, once you know what you're doing, but if there are dozens (or hundreds!) of files all with the same wrong path in every file reference... :roll:
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925
    edited December 1969

If you find an error in a pack you need to submit a support ticket so it can be fixed. If no one reports it they don't know there is an issue.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I am chicken so I always opt of choice number 3. :) I must learn number 1 some day.
    [Evil Grin] Wait until you run into the morphs that don't work, that's when the editing fun really starts [/Evil Grin]
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Szark said:
    [Evil Grin] Wait until you run into the morphs that don't work, that's when the editing fun really starts [/Evil Grin]arrrrrrrrrrrrr runs away and hides
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,576
    edited September 2012

I used to use CR pro II until the support tapered off & died. Now I use Runtime repair available at rendo.

This will only work on Poser format files.

Post edited by pwiecek on