Missing files no longer identified when Carrara can’t find them

I think that this problem has been mentioned elsewhere, but perhaps not documented or reported.

Apparently, with the introduction of Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan), Carrara 8 (and higher) will no longer display the name of any missing or moved file that is called for when loading a Carrara project file. This results in the presentation of a nondescript “open file” window which does not give the user any information as to what file needs to be located.

Going back to Carrara 7.2 (also running under Mac OS 10.11), I see that it still properly displays the missing file names, proving that this problem is not an insurmountable Mac OS issue. Even though a change in the Mac OS is responsible for the appearance of this problem in Carrara 8 and higher, it is clearly patchable.

Realizing that we may not see any bug fixes for Carrara in the foreseeable future, does anyone have any idea for a workaround for this problem (that doesn’t require manually searching through the textual representation of a Carrara file looking for bad file references).

Thanks.

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Yup. Reported & acknowledged. No workaround that I know of. (BTW, it happens in DS too)

It may be quicker to scan the shader tab & look for any that look suspiciously like default, otherwise it's a text search & look for anything outside your regular textures folder.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Did you report it?
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

Yup. Reported & acknowledged. No workaround that I know of. (BTW, it happens in DS too)

It may be quicker to scan the shader tab & look for any that look suspiciously like default, otherwise it's a text search & look for anything outside your regular textures folder.

Happens in Daz Studio too? Well then, they'll probably be figuring out what the actual problem is, which should make it easier to apply the same fix to Carrara (assuming that they have any inclination to update Carrara).

Did you report it?

Haven't reported it yet. Was looking to acquire more information first. I was hoping that there was some sort of alternate way to reveal the missing file name.

I suppose that if someone had the skills they could write a program to check the validity of all of the file paths in a Carrara file and then display a list of the invalid ones. Sadly, I don't possess these skills.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Neither do I, and at the moment I don't have that issue, although in the near future I might. Now I have to decide if the Retina display is right for me.