My Final Full Frame Animation? Cyberpunk Dystopia Episode 19. Now on Youtube.

2»

Comments

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    argus1000 said:

Yeah, no doubt Octane is king with respect to picture quality. But I think it's a bit slower. It's true I'm used to speed in Carrara native (CPU) renderer because I have a Dual Xeon with 24 cores. But what riles me is that I read on the OTOY website that if you buy a second nVidia card, Octane will use all the GPUs of the two cards combined. It would be twice as fast. That's simply not true. I have two cards... but Octane uses only one.

Octane can use as many cards as you give it. I was running with 2 cards no problem until the weaker one died. It renders blisteringly fast if you manage the light priorities and tweak a few things. Night scenes are are harder proposition, but even then there are ways of getting fast renders. I plan to do a series of tutorials on this. :)

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701

Octane can use as many cards as you give it. I was running with 2 cards no problem until the weaker one died. It renders blisteringly fast if you manage the light priorities and tweak a few things. Night scenes are are harder proposition, but even then there are ways of getting fast renders. I plan to do a series of tutorials on this. :)

Here's what Wendy has to say:

"it can be handy if a small scene that fits on the smaller card, you can speed it up a bit with more cuda cores. otherwise not much difference in fact do not use lesser cardon mine. adds 3 but then scene  has to be under 2GB, is faster if it is I tick if small scene to get it done quicker".

Well I can only speak for myself. Daytime - amazingly fast, night time - requires some out of the box thinking :)

As to fitting in scenes, it overflows out of the cards memory at the cost of speed, or you can work on your texture files. Do they really need to be 2048x2048 for example. I work on a GTX 780 Ti with 3GB and I push some pretty big scenes. The street scene in episode 17 had the thing begging for mercy but I got though with a little compromising. 

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336

Liked what I saw.  Subscribed.

Liked what I saw.  Subscribed.

Many thanks Nelson :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

I recently got a new laptop (after the old one died) and it renders with Octane at least 5 times as fast as my old one, and in general leaves Carrara's native renderer in the dust. Especially given the quality of the lighting and rendering. The cloth simulation renders that I did on the other thread for example were taking less than a minute per frame, with soft shadows, full indirect lighting, sub surface scattering and camera depth of field. I am well pleased!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ise so stuck finding a movie format retains the quality of the pngs 

PhilW said:

I recently got a new laptop (after the old one died) and it renders with Octane at least 5 times as fast as my old one, and in general leaves Carrara's native renderer in the dust. Especially given the quality of the lighting and rendering. The cloth simulation renders that I did on the other thread for example were taking less than a minute per frame, with soft shadows, full indirect lighting, sub surface scattering and camera depth of field. I am well pleased!

I'm with you Phil. Let's not forget in comparing you need to turn on AO on with the Carrara native renderer. This comes as standard with each Octane render. I've whacked up the setting too. Only on extreeme crazy settings does it slow the render down. AO is a very useful tool to readjust the light balance in a scene. As well as it's usual effect of lightening/darkening the recess areas in a frame. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

Bravo, my friend!

Bravo, my friend!

Cheers Dartan!

Did you get funding yet? I'm needing more! =)

Not yet. It might take a while :)

• wikitimewikitime Posts: 36

Great animation. It's inspired me to work on my own web comic. :)

Not yet. It might take a while :)

But I don't want it to take a while! :(

You should be sponsored. ;)

wikitime said:

Excellent. Do let me know when you finish an episode/comic. I'd love to see it esp. if it's sci fi. :)

I'd love to be sponsored. I feel I've made a number of online friends, but fans who would contribute? I'm not sure. I'm going to finish the script then set myself up on Patreon. Perhaps people would want to chip in there to see an animated continuation? I'll give it a try. 

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have really anjoyed the entire series sofar.

Hope to see more.

wikitime said:

Excellent. Do let me know when you finish an episode/comic. I'd love to see it esp. if it's sci fi. :)

Me too!

I have really anjoyed the entire series sofar.

Hope to see more.

Me too!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087

SFF, the problem is we are all 3D addicts here, I make no money because I  spend like a madwoman in the DAZ store so kinda hard to fund another addict when scrounging for my own fix.

I love your videos though and wish you could get a sponsor who is cashed up.

Argus, I had a much lesser card two similar cards it may be a different story.

I pulled my second out now as my PC runs much cooler without it, and broke the PCE express slot in the process so no going back.

fool said:

... and broke the PCE express slot in the process so no going back.

Awww... that bites! So sorry hun! =/

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

I'd love to be sponsored. I feel I've made a number of online friends, but fans who would contribute? I'm not sure. I'm going to finish the script then set myself up on Patreon. Perhaps people would want to chip in there to see an animated continuation? I'll give it a try. 

let me be honest here - it was nice - not great

change of making money - 3% even with sponsor

just check out how many are made each day on utube

do it for fun - not money

re doing it for fun not money etc.

Please be clear, I'm not on here asking for sponsorhip from fellow 3d artists the majority of which are in the same boat. I am responding to Dartan's question about how to fund. 

If you want to create a full framed, large scened web series / film then you can do what I've done which is live finanially very carefully, work exceptionally hard, work in additon to that for money elsewhere, take any additional funding that might come your way and accept you won't fully cover the bills.

I was announcing that I'm at the end of that period. I kept going somehow for 6 1/4 years and made it past the 3 episodes I care most about: 17-19. So I'm happy. To continue requires funding.

Anyhoo - back to the art ....... :)

• wikitimewikitime Posts: 36
    wikitime said:

I love Sci-Fi but I've had this "Dragonrealm" inspired story in my head for 20 years. It's time for it to come to life. :)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Really a great work Steve !

This episode is very "atmospheric", unfortunately, my poor English keep me from understand everything but I like your film(s) !

DUDU said:

Really a great work Steve !

This episode is very "atmospheric", unfortunately, my poor English keep me from understand everything but I like your film(s) !

Thanks DUDU - I'm sorry not everything is understandable, but from an art point of view I'm glad you were able to take in the atmospheres. It is feeling that you are inside the set that first interested me in 3d animation. I wanted to bring the wonderful sets and scenes available on Daz to life. :)