To Save with Compression or no Compression

With My large scenes it takes quite awhile to save using compression but they open up after taking a long time.

With out the compression it get end of file errors.

What do you do?

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008
    edited February 2016

I always use these settings

car_save_options.jpg
    510 x 521 - 60K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

old timers never save with compression - you will get errors for sure

always make sure your disc has plenty of space ;) you can have plenty of space and some program will steal it as a cache and carrara will have the error you are getting 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I'm afraid i have to disagree. I always save with compression,. BUT,.. I ALWAYS remove unused Objects / Shaders / clips before I save the scene

then you're not trying to save things which you've changed,. replaced or deleted from the scene,. but are still are in temporary memory (undo)

I've never had the end of file errors.

But i'm still old,. ... my save settings

save settings.jpg
    431 x 493 - 33K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    3DAGE said:

I'm afraid i have to disagree. I always save with compression,. BUT,.. I ALWAYS remove unused Objects / Shaders / clips before I save the scene

then you're not trying to save things which you've changed,. replaced or deleted from the scene,. but are still are in temporary memory (undo)

I've never had the end of file errors.

But i'm still old,. ... my save settings

Exactly the same as what I do, except that I always also make the scene preview.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited February 2016

Dart, I tried a few times to save with the scene preview but never found it, where is it ?

Post edited by DUDU on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I'd love if there was a way to include my own image as the preview - the generated ones soometimes leave a lot to be desired.

... and where can we see the generated ones (except in the browser)?

HI DUDU :)

The preview thumbnails are stored within the Car file,. and they only show up when you use the browser.

I normally just save scenes in a working folder on the desktop,. so I don't bother with the scene preview,.

which also saves a very tiny bit of time,. I usually lock that in a small box and save it for when i'm in a hurry. :)

Tim :)  you can :) .. with the help of P3DO explorer,. it allows you to add an image thumbnail to .Car and CBR files,. so you can create custom thumbnails for scene files, and for Carrara files which don't normally have thumbnails, such as Backgrounds,  etc.

http://www.senosoft.com/

OK Andy, I understand now, I always save my files like you, in a folder with all the elements of the current project.

But, if one save a scene in "My scenes" in the browser, it makes automaticaly a thumbnail or not ? (I never tried it).

Thanks for your  answer !

edited February 2016
    DUDU said:

Dart, I tried a few times to save with the scene preview but never found it, where is it ?

Look at 3DAGE's image here, it's a check box above Compress:

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    DUDU said:

... and where can we see the generated ones (except in the browser)?

Just in the browser, I think. I use my browser for everything, though ;)

DUDU :)

If you drag objects to the browser,. Carrara should automatically save the Preview,.

Scene files should always show the options to save preview because you can't really drag an entire scen into the browser,. it needs to be File/save or save as..

then you can select where it's saved,. and whether you want the preview and comression,..

Just to add,. that you can ADD folders to the browser,. so even if you save in an external "working" folder, you can still save previes and those will be viewable in the browser.

Thanks both for your answers!

I have a similar question: when we drag a file into the browser, we have an opportunity to add a comment, how can we see it ?

I believe you right-click on the icon in the browser. Either that or hover over it or select the file in the browser and go to the File/Folder icon and choose Show Info... I don't entirely remember.

DUDU said:

Thanks both for your answers!

I have a similar question: when we drag a file into the browser, we have an opportunity to add a comment, how can we see it ?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Stezza said:

I always use these settings

If I use those settings I get the end of file errors.

So I dont know what the difference is. Before this version I always saved with out compression but now all I get is errors. last night  it took an hour to save my saloon scene which is really a long time to wait.

I will try it again with simple spheres to see how it goes.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    remember to always save *before* exiting the program, *never* as part of exiting! This is a known source of file corruption. (this means to 'save' as a separate step, then exit) ms
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I always save first and wait the hour then exit.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008

as 3dage posted..

I try to remember to remove unused Objects / Shaders / clips and consolidate textures before I save the scene.. maybe that will speed things up on a large file.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

For network rendering I've found saving as Compressed together with Save all Internally makes the render nodes load much much faster and more reliably.  For intermediate saves I use the Use Local Settings which is very fast locally.

I've experience a lot of problems with "use local settings" for net renders which did not have the "Save all Internally" option checked.  The render nodes FAILed to load the entire scene, screwing up the net render process overnight.  Not sure what that's all about.  All nodes are hard wired LAN.  I simply want to start the net render and go to bed :)  so I'm looking for reliability, mainly, and the Compressed and All Internally combination works for me.

I will say that I had more of the net render failed load problems with very large scenes (2G or larger), which unfortunately seem to be typical (for me). 

One other observation: you can save a lot of ram space in your Project File by using only one generation of figures exclusively: use all V4s/M4s, or Genesis or G2.  Mixing formats increases the project file size.  G2F files in particular seemed particularly huge in my scenes.  That may have also been because of the clothing too, not completely sure. 

FYI

- Don

Another thing to consider is that it can be incredibly easy for us to accidentally load up out scenes with an awful lot of stuff! Carrara makes it easy to just keep adding. Sometimes we need to take a step back and remove as much as we can that will never be in camera. This is something I've been doing early on in my Carrara endeavors, but not until somebody reminded me to do so.

Sci Fi Funk has made a nice four-part tutorial on how he really takes this idea to heart!

Part 1 - Overview

Part 2 - Model and LocationScouting

Part 3 - Reducing 3D Model Size

Part 4 - Replication Tips

Even if you do things differently and it seems that this stuff doesn't apply, it's definitely a worthwile series to watch in its entirety. It helps drive home some good techniques and practices.

• I do it differently than most all of you, and I never have corruption issues. I never save with compression. I always save locally, even for network renders and I also always flush the unused master stuff before I save. I also never save the scene preview as it is pretty useless and increases the time it takes to save.
     I also never save the scene preview as it is pretty useless and increases the time it takes to save.

I can see the point... and even followed that advice for a day. I just can't help it. The little extra time doesn't bother me nearly as much as having all of my files staring at me with that same, default icon. I even go into files that I've bought that don't come with a preview, and resave them with a preview! LOL   I'm just silly that way! :)

• Ah yes, but forget that you've enabled skylight or indirect light, and that little extra time becomes a lot of extra time. D'oh!