dForce Fluxx Hair requires an additional 16 GB of memory to render

I'm so tired. I've spent the past couple hours crashing/closing, reopening, removing elements, and it's draining what little energy I have.

The scene is 3 people, no set/environment. Two Genesis 8 figures, both with hair, shirts, shoes, and one in a jacket and the other holding a phone. The Genesis 9 figure has Genesis 8 shoes fit to Genesis 9, dForce Fluxx Hair, shirt, and a skirt, as well as a handbag and phone.

I could not render this with 32 GB of system memory. This was infuriating, but I tracked it down to the dForce Fluxx Hair. Without that, everything renders fine. With it, no chance, it crashes.

So, I saved a copy with only the offending figure with the Fluxx hair and these are the results.

Currently, with all other programs are closed, 27.7 GB free before open Daz, and 26.6 GB free with Daz open with nothing loaded.

Hair enabled:

25.5 GB free with the scene loaded. Peaked at 6.4 GB available and render is empty.

Hair deleted:

25.0 GB free with the scene loaded. Peaked at 22.3 GB available and render is empty.

That's a 16 GB difference. This does not seem right. 

Comments

• ExitofExitof Posts: 52

Additionally, searching for "Fluxx" in the store results in 9 items, but only 8 are visible (I verified via incognito mode). Searching for "chevybabe25" does list the product in the store, though, so it's not unlisted.

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,247
    edited September 18

The Fluxx hair was made in pre- iray curves era.  What does that mean? Well curves reduce the weight significantly, but the direction the uvs run have to be turned.

It also means you need to use either the dual lobe w fiberuv  or omni shader, then change the line tesselation to 0.   I have 2 shader sets in the store, both that will change the tesselation over as well as the color etc.

Omni is the newest.  https://www.daz3d.com/revolution--omni-shader-presets-for-strand-based-hairs

The dual lobe is older:  https://www.daz3d.com/line-zero-dforce-strand-hair-shaders

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • ElorElor Posts: 1,140

I suppose you're speaking about this hair:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-fluxx-hair-for-genesis-9

It's a strand based hair and will likely use the oldest technology which mean it'll eat memory like there is no tomorrow.

Now, a new technology does exist which can be applied to older strand based hair either manually or with products:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/675841/omni-shader-hair-thread

chevybabe25 said:

The Fluxx hair was made in pre- iray curves era.  What does that mean? Well curves reduce the weight significantly, but the direction the uvs run have to be turned.

It also means you need to use either the dual lobe w fiberuv  or omni shader, then change the line tesselation to 0.   I have 2 shader sets in the store, both that will change the tesselation over as well as the color etc.

Omni is the newest.  https://www.daz3d.com/revolution--omni-shader-presets-for-strand-based-hairs

The dual lobe is older:  https://www.daz3d.com/line-zero-dforce-strand-hair-shaders

Are you going to update your products to set the tesselation to 0? It would seem to make sense to update the few products that this impacted so that all that own the product benefit from the small change rather than having to buy a secondary product for $25.

I fixed it on my end editing the file to set the tesselation to 0, but I'm sure others would appreciate it being updated to fix this issue.

Thanks

edited September 19

Setting the tesselation to 0 wont do much unless you add a whole new shader that turns the uv properly.

Updating all those products like that would require brand new shaders,material presets, and promos.  Thats a whole lot of work for something with no return, as Daz owns them.

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 175
    edited September 19

Are you transfering (using) morphs from the genesis character's onto the hair to adjust it? This will cause memory (and save file) usage to baloon. 

Also, the g9 items being used on g8s, have they been saved as support assets? [Vica versa on any g8 items on the g9]  This (edit: not doing so) is even worse on memory usage .

Post edited by jmtbank on

chevybabe25 said:

Setting the tesselation to 0 wont do much unless you add a whole new shader that turns the uv properly.

Updating all those products like that would require brand new shaders,material presets, and promos.  Thats a whole lot of work for something with no return, as Daz owns them.

I've been trying to figure out what exactly that would entail, the turning of the UV.

In experimenting, with tesselation set to 1, which was far more manageable for memory usage, it was close without a drastic color change, but still loses some color.

I've looked into becoming a PA, but don't know what the payout situation is. As a PA, when it's a Daz Original, do they pay a set amount for the asset? I expected that PAs would earn based on units sold.

Tesselation.jpg
    1280 x 1440 - 987K

jmtbank said:

Are you transfering (using) morphs from the genesis character's onto the hair to adjust it? This will cause memory (and save file) usage to baloon. 

Also, the g9 items being used on g8s, have they been saved as support assets? [Vica versa on any g8 items on the g9]  This (edit: not doing so) is even worse on memory usage .

It's just a Daz stock character Minerva with no additional morphs.

I didn't bother saving the Genesis 8 footwear as a Genesis 9 asset, and in testing, it had no discernable impact on memory usage.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205
    edited September 19

I would call it overkill if Daz / the PAs shoul update a product due to new technology.

If you have an omnihair shader it is just one click or a faw clicks, e.g https://www.daz3d.com/revolution--omni-shader-presets-for-strand-based-hairs

Yuo can avoid to use a purchased shader, as the omnihair shader is part of default ressources. But you will then have yourself to adjust surface settings.

Post edited by felis on

The turning of the uv is done in shader mixer. It is back end stuff.  Ive been making these hairs for several years now, 4 or 5,and as I explained, impractical for me to personally update one by one.  This is why I offered the shader presets in the store, so you could get the benefit of new tech with old hairs and limited work for all of us.  

A little about the Daz Originals and Vendoring our items.  Vendoring, I only get half of what you guys pay on the item in the store that day.  Sometimes this works, sometimes this hurts. Its a lucky roll of the dice really.  I can opt to sell ( if they want it)  to Daz for a flat fee.  Once its theirs, its theirs, so they take a gamble on the product too.  The flat fee they pay is based on a lot of stuff, like percieved popularity of the item.  

Sometimes, if I feel the product was lacking/truly needed something to make it more complete, (some peeps in here can verify that I do this on occasion lol), I will update the product. Even if Daz owns it.   *recalls a controversy over a hairy forehead lol* as an example.

• MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 266

Plus, won't this work for any old hairs that exhibit this issue? https://www.daz3d.com/revolution--omni-shader-presets-for-strand-based-hairs In which case its a great solution all round. I don't think it's feasible to expect PAs to upgrade old products for new technology, especially for products they no longer 'own'.

Yes. That shader will make those old hairs usable, and on sale has sold for fairly cheap..almost ten dollars. On sale right now ;)