Unnaming a mesh or selection

Is there a way to delete the name of a selected set of polys in the vertex modeller?

If I double-click a mesh, I can give it a name (say, "fred") in the model panel or from the Selection menu. If there's just one mesh in the selection, the model panel gives me the option to edit it (but not delete it - clearing the box just gives it a blank name). If there's more than one mesh in the named selection, you don't even get the option to edit it.

For Shading domains, there's a section in the Global panel for editing and deleting. But not for names, it would seem? Unless I've missed something . . .

Why is it an issue? Cos the names get exported, and I like to keep things neat, and while I can go in and hand-edit the resulting obj, it's a PITA! Why do I want names in the first place? Cos it's handy for defining regions of bone influence when rigging props in DS, amongst other things.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Tim :)

You can rename any poly selection,. or add polygons from one or more selections to another named selection,. or select everything and name the entire poly selection "fred"

to delete a named polygon selection entirely,. and not just leave a blank name, you need to add the polys to another named selection,.

Select a Named poly selection, then select the un-named polys, and rename all of those to "bob" ..or something more suitable,

that should remove the previous name for those selected polys.

so, rather than Un-name, Re-name