Daz3D rendering brown discolorization

JayyMcMJayyMcM Posts: 3
edited June 26 in New Users

I'm not sure why, but there seems to be an issue with the 'tattoo' I've photoshopped onto my model's torso. When rendering on all default settings, I get brown splotches all along the image I put there. I'd really appreciate some help as i've been fiddling with render settings but it always ends up the same. If anyone recognizes this issue or has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Engine: NVIDIA Iray

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 4070 Ti

Post edited by JayyMcM on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,506

It looks to me like JPEG compression artifacts. What file format are the tattoo and opacity mask (if there is one)?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,321

Better use PNG format on tattoos LIEs, and crank up Threshold of Texture Compression a bit in Render Settings, if you're still not satisfied with the result.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,795

Gordig said:

It looks to me like JPEG compression artifacts. What file format are the tattoo and opacity mask (if there is one)?

Yes, especially when color red is used - The compression algorithms do not like large areas of red. 

• JayyMcMJayyMcM Posts: 3

crosswind said:

Better use PNG format on tattoos LIEs, and crank up Threshold of Texture Compression a bit in Render Settings, if you're still not satisfied with the result

Thank you! I had to triple the Threshold of Texture Compression (thankfully my GPU can handle it) but this solved it! What normally causes this? Could it've been because of the size of the tattoo? The tattoo itself was 2560x1873 but was shrunk down to fit the size body's 4096x4096 size. 

Gordig said:

It was actually in PNG! Increasing the Threshold of Texture Compression solved it but I don't really understand what the original issue was.