Collaborative work

SARMATSARMAT Posts: 38
edited June 25 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey, everybody.
I have a fairly powerful rendering machine.
But I don't always have the opportunity to work behind it. So I want to buy a laptop for creating scenes.

What do I want?
Create scenes on the laptop, and render on another computer. So that I can work outside the house.

Questions:
1. Most likely there will be a problem with paths to library files.
All my database is in the cloud, and in theory I can download it to my laptop (external disk).
Will there be a problem with the file paths? Does anyone have any experience?

2. Is there any way to send tasks to another machine for rendering?
3. Has anyone done something like this at all? Share your experience.
4.Also should I choose Apple laptops for creating scenes?

Thanks.

Post edited by SARMAT on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,037

Scenes care only for the relative path within the content directory, they don't care where the content directory is (or what it is called) - as long as the content was in a content directory when loaded, of course. Only Install manager and custom actions are concerned about the absolute path (starting from the drive identifier).

I believe iray Server is now free, in which case you could pass rendering over using that (given a broad enough connection) but yes, scripts can be used to pass commands and such to a remote Daz Studio.

• SARMATSARMAT Posts: 38
    edited June 25

Richard Haseltine said:

Scenes care only for the relative path within the content directory, they don't care where the content directory is (or what it is called) - as long as the content was in a content directory when loaded, of course. Only Install manager and custom actions are concerned about the absolute path (starting from the drive identifier).

I believe iray Server is now free, in which case you could pass rendering over using that (given a broad enough connection) but yes, scripts can be used to pass commands and such to a remote Daz Studio.

I hear you. I'll try to test it with an old laptop. What is an iray server?

Is it possible to somehow organize a private server from your machine. To just send tasks there from my laptop? Or it is probably easier to use remote access programs.

Post edited by SARMAT on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,037

Iray server (I think tis is the correct page) https://www.irayplugins.com/iray-server/