Smooth Out Bump

Hi.

I've been working on a render that I'm copying which is a Jill Valentine render. I've found an error on her lower back and I don't know what to do to flatten it without distorting the rest of her back curve? I'm not sure if it's the body or the clothing. I've tried using the sliders in Parameters with the lower back selected but it warps everything else.

Jill BSuit Rear Mirror 1st Bump.png
874 x 874 - 811K
Jill_Remake_Bodysuit_02.jpg
1243 x 2047 - 186K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,903

If you hide the clothing, is it then visible on her body?

If not then it must be the clothing. It could be caused by a slightly incorrect weigth map.

The easiest solution would be to take it to a modeller, and sculpt it away and import as a morph (with reverse defomations). Or you could use mesh grabber to push it in a bit. If you wait for an updated/new mesh grabber it includes a smooth function, but it is unknown when it comes.

For a single image I would probably fix it with the existing mesh grabber.

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 490

Another option is to use the Mesh Grabber from ManFriday it's great for quick in-scene mesh tweaks and adjustments!
    Mesh Grabber Bundle for Windows
    Mesh Grabber Bundle for MAC

• n.aspros123n.aspros123 Posts: 33

@felis @Elliandra  Can Hexagon or Blender be used and have a mesh grabber function?

blender can, and Hexagon can as well ( I only have blender).

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,514

n.aspros123 said:

@felis @Elliandra  Can Hexagon or Blender be used and have a mesh grabber function?

They don't have a mesh grabber function; they have full geometry modeling toolsets.

Gordig said:

n.aspros123 said:

They don't have a mesh grabber function; they have full geometry modeling toolsets.

@Gordig Can use these for my issue or I have to get the Mesh Grabber? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,514

I mean that the modeling functionality of Hexagon and Blender is far beyond what Mesh Grabber can do. Mesh Grabber is fine for moving around a few polygons, but if you want more than that, you'll need a proper modeler.

edited June 28

Gordig said:

I mean that the modeling functionality of Hexagon and Blender is far beyond what Mesh Grabber can do. Mesh Grabber is fine for moving around a few polygons, but if you want more than that, you'll need a proper modeler.

@Gordig

Will a vid like this help in reshaping or push in the bump to make it curve better? https://youtu.be/mC7kKWR6Nws

Jill BSuit Rear Mirror 1st Bump.png
    874 x 874 - 811K
    Jill BSuit fix for buns.png
    995 x 881 - 750K
    Post edited by n.aspros123 on
    edited June 29

felis said:

If you hide the clothing, is it then visible on her body?

If not then it must be the clothing. It could be caused by a slightly incorrect weigth map.

The easiest solution would be to take it to a modeller, and sculpt it away and import as a morph (with reverse defomations). Or you could use mesh grabber to push it in a bit. If you wait for an updated/new mesh grabber it includes a smooth function, but it is unknown when it comes.

For a single image I would probably fix it with the existing mesh grabber.

@felis

I've uploaded some pics and it looks like the suit is sticking out further.  

Jill Valentine No BattleSuit Bump No Render.png
    997 x 908 - 59K
    Jill Valentine BattleSuit Bump.png
    989 x 881 - 1M
    Jill Valentine No BattleSuit Bump.png
    989 x 881 - 1M

Yes, it looks like the spline is lifted.

Does it look ok in base pose?

If it looks ok in base pose, it seems to be the rigging. Then you could try to use transfer rigging (Edit > Object), with the character as source and the suit as target, and then I would assume it solves it.

If the suit is bulging in base pose, it looks like the suit has an issue with the modelling, and then you must correct it with mesh grabber or dFormer inside Daz Studio, or in a modelling program. For a single shot I would correct it with mesh grabber. For a generic fix I would use a modelling application.

edited June 29

felis said:

Yes, it looks like the spline is lifted.

Does it look ok in base pose?

If it looks ok in base pose, it seems to be the rigging. Then you could try to use transfer rigging (Edit > Object), with the character as source and the suit as target, and then I would assume it solves it.

If the suit is bulging in base pose, it looks like the suit has an issue with the modelling, and then you must correct it with mesh grabber or dFormer inside Daz Studio, or in a modelling program. For a single shot I would correct it with mesh grabber. For a generic fix I would use a modelling application.

@felis

In T-pose it's lifted. In Hexagon you can see it's lifted in that area from the character body.

I don't know what I'm doing in Hexagon. I have been selecting the suit, ticking soft selection, reducing the radius, select ring but i'm not sure How to "push in" the buldge so it looks uniform?

Capture 85.JPG
    1899 x 721 - 139K
    Jill BSuit fix for buns.png
    995 x 881 - 750K
    Capture 86.JPG
    1900 x 999 - 220K

I don't know Hexagon.

But looking at your picture, you have the gizmo in the middle, and if you move that a bit in the Z direction, the bumb should get smaller.

felis said:

I don't know Hexagon.

But looking at your picture, you have the gizmo in the middle, and if you move that a bit in the Z direction, the bumb should get smaller.

@felis

I tried with Hexagon but no go. It's not importing the morph back correctly. Do you have a link for mesh grabber? 

Are you working on the suit from a base model, and with resolution set to base?

I don't know it the bridge takes care of that. Else you will not be able to make a proper morph.

Although as it is the base mesh, you don't need to make a morph, you can update base mesh (Edit > Object > Geometry > Update Base Geometry)

If you got the bump leveled out, and you can try export it as an Obj, and in DS use transfer rigging as mentioned above. It will be a new object, and you need to mark all surfaces on the existing and copy surfaces, and paste to the new.

Mesh Grabber exists in different versions, e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/mesh-grabber-win

Be aware that there should hit a new version in store anytime soon. It has been in queu for 1½ months or so.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,362

Mesh Grabber can move the geometry but has no capability to directly smooth the geometry. That bump seems to be projected from whatever the character's body morph or partial morph(s) you dialed. You can fix it with a standard function in DS, Rigidity Groups.

I don't know Hexagon either... not sure if it has any functionality of sculpting. But a recommended free way of fixing such an issue is to send it to Blender, smooth and move that area with Smooth and Grab brushes, then send back OBJ to update full body morph on the bodysuit.

felis said:

Are you working on the suit from a base model, and with resolution set to base?

I don't know it the bridge takes care of that. Else you will not be able to make a proper morph.

Although as it is the base mesh, you don't need to make a morph, you can update base mesh (Edit > Object > Geometry > Update Base Geometry)

If you got the bump leveled out, and you can try export it as an Obj, and in DS use transfer rigging as mentioned above. It will be a new object, and you need to mark all surfaces on the existing and copy surfaces, and paste to the new.

Mesh Grabber exists in different versions, e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/mesh-grabber-win

Be aware that there should hit a new version in store anytime soon. It has been in queu for 1½ months or so.

@felis

Tried the text in bold and see attached pic. It was previously set to High Resolution. Doesn't work so changed it to Base and suit craps itself. 

Capture 89.JPG
    1396 x 912 - 153K
    edited June 29

crosswind said:

Mesh Grabber can move the geometry but has no capability to directly smooth the geometry. That bump seems to be projected from whatever the character's body morph or partial morph(s) you dialed. You can fix it with a standard function in DS, Rigidity Groups.

I don't know Hexagon either... not sure if it has any functionality of sculpting. But a recommended free way of fixing such an issue is to send it to Blender, smooth and move that area with Smooth and Grab brushes, then send back OBJ to update full body morph on the bodysuit.

@crosswind

I'm very very very new to blender as I've only been using 3D apps (Daz) for 3-4 weeks.  Any blender instruction videos or guides to perform the task you suggested I need to do with that bump, Please? 

edited June 29

DP

n.aspros123 said:

@felis

Tried the text in bold and see attached pic. It was previously set to High Resolution. Doesn't work so changed it to Base and suit craps itself. 

When you exported the mesh, was it then from A-pose? 

edited June 29

n.aspros123 said:

crosswind said:

@crosswind

I'm very very very new to blender as I've only been using 3D apps (Daz) for 3-4 weeks.  Any blender instruction videos or guides to perform the task you suggested I need to do with that bump, Please? 

I simulated your case and gave it a fix in Blender then brought it back to DS... check this short video: https://mega.nz/file/qeg10B5S#YYCh1mmeKcvL4IprIt0UJAP6eJsOZUIm4MRgaw0zU2M

It's not difficult... just try it.

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited June 29

felis said:

n.aspros123 said:

@felis

When you exported the mesh, was it then from A-pose? 

@felis

No. I'm using a DM Mirror Talk pose and I only performed the text in bold with no exporting. Um... I don't know how to revert back to A-pose as I've never had to. Does the suit need to be changed to Base from high resolution for exporting to work?

edited June 29

crosswind said:

n.aspros123 said:

crosswind said:

@crosswind

I simulated your case and gave it a fix in Blender then brought it back to DS... check this short video: https://mega.nz/file/qeg10B5S#YYCh1mmeKcvL4IprIt0UJAP6eJsOZUIm4MRgaw0zU2M

It's not difficult... just try it.

@crosswind

Does body need to be in A pose? If yes, see my reply to felis.

I have Daz 4.22 and latest version of Blender. I also have this issue with menu options missing. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/692756/no-item-option-after-send-to-daz-from-hexagon#latest

edited June 30

@crosswind

Does body need to be in A pose? If yes, see my reply to felis. I have Daz 4.22 and latest version of Blender. 

You don't have to reset it to A-Pose before fixing FBM on the clothing if you follow the settings in Morph Loader Pro in my video (i.e. the two options in the attached screenshot can assure you fix it in non A-Pose)... However, I still suggest you use A-Pose... It's a standard workflow that all qualified PA and content creators use, which can bring you the most accurate result when sculpting, esp. with Symmetry.

Well, as for Update Base Geometry, no matter updating vertex position or full geometry, you have to use A-Pose beforehand 'cause this function doesn't Reverse Deformations, that's why it is called Update Base Geometry....

As for Hexagon, choose Advanced in Show Options. But personally, I still strongly recommend Blender in which all the functions especially Sculpting is much much more accountable for one who frequently make / tweak morphs. The latter is more worth learning...

SNAG-2024-6-30-004.png
    729 x 645 - 46K
    edited June 30

@crosswind

Is this sequence needed to reset the pose to A-pose? 

Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figure Pose

Or

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8384/resetting-genesis-into-default-pose

What would happen if I started a new file from scratch. Select the Jill character Without the Eleanora body morph by USB and applied the Suit. Would it have the bump still even before I apply the body morph?

edited June 30

n.aspros123 said:

@crosswind

Is this sequence needed to reset the pose to A-pose? 

Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figure Pose

Yep, Zero Figure Pose will do.

Or

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8384/resetting-genesis-into-default-pose

What would happen if I started a new file from scratch. Select the Jill character Without the Eleanora body morph by USB and applied the Suit. Would it have the bump still even before I apply the body morph?

It's hard to tell as I don't have these characters. Normally a bodysuit product cannot provide fixed projected morphs for all characters... so probably you'll find this sort of issue. You may just try it anyway. Pls bear in mind that when using these sort of 3rd-party products, tinker things would be a routine. cool

@crosswind

I gave a go starting from scratch. Same issues. It's a flaw in the suit. Gonna have to send it to blender. See attachments. I also sent a dm.

Capture 90.JPG
    996 x 910 - 83K
    Capture 91.JPG
    995 x 910 - 73K
    Capture 92.JPG
    1351 x 920 - 150K
    edited June 30

Yep, I could reproduce the issue, see screenshot1. I personally think it can be acceptable to some extent... but just fix it if you don't like it.

Anyway, I quickly fixed it in Blender as well as the chest area with Eleanora body morph dialed, so as to make it look more natural.. The bodysuit is not a well-made one but could be used with some tweakings.

Check you PM, and try fixing it with the way I showed in the video ~

crosswind said:

Yep, I could reproduce the issue, see screenshot1. I personally think it can be acceptable to some extent... but just fix it if you don't like it.

Anyway, I quickly fixed it in Blender as well as the chest area with Eleanora body morph dialed, so as to make it look more natural.. The bodysuit is not a well-made one but could be used with some tweakings.

@crosswind

Now you know what is happening.

Can you give me guidance on what areas and settings that need to be adjusted, please?

Did you use daz or blender to make the render? 

Where did you find the background and how one is setup and angles? Do I use the lighting techniques you suggested in the other thread I have - Various questions about Jill V suit?

How are morph and suit settings saved as a preset in daz?

n.aspros123 said:

crosswind said:

@crosswind

Now you know what is happening.

Can you give me guidance on what areas and settings that need to be adjusted, please?

The areas I found on the suit that need to be tweaked: 1) morph: lower back and chest. Some poke-thru happen to Belt on the thighs, need to be fixed a bit; 2) surface: darken base color, add some glossy, increase Bump a bit. (screenshot 1)

Did you use daz or blender to make the render? 

DS of course ~

Where did you find the background and how one is setup and angles? Do I use the lighting techniques you suggested in the other thread I have - Various questions about Jill V suit?

Room:https://www.deviantart.com/dazwraps/art/RE3-Remake-Jill-Valentine-Apartment-Daz-Scene-926730413

Lighting pattern is up to your preferences, I used 3 spotlights and tweak the ambient lights a bit. Check your PM.

How are morph and suit settings saved as a preset in daz?

As for morphs, you just need to Save Morph Assets ( File - Save As - Support Assets - Morph Assets...) As per my observation, you don't need to save any presets as the character / suit, etc. are pretty simple. Just keeping them in your scene will be fine.

SNAG-2024-7-1-021.png
    2022 x 1308 - 2M