Stop with the geoshell and strand based hair obsession PLEASE

milliethegreatmilliethegreat Posts: 254
edited June 22 in Daz Studio Discussion

Can we stop making EVERYTHING geoshells and strand based hair? Or at least give an option for regular versions too? It's not easy for newbies to use in game engines and therefore alienates large swaths of artists out there! PLEASE JUST STOP!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,514

Counterpoint: I use strand-based hair almost exclusively. 

• milliethegreatmilliethegreat Posts: 254

People say you can apply geoshells using external programs but my point is not everyone has a degree in computer graphics. Some people don't have that kinda knowledge or skill. Also all the good hairs are strand based not to mention the fur. So you guys are alienating people like me-not just me. So I beg you on behalf of people in my situation PLEASE CHILL WITH THE GEOSHELLS AND STRAND BASED HAIR

There's less and less LIE tattoos makeup etc and polygon hair and more and more geoshell and strand based hair and that's the problem. It's almost like Daz company is TRYING to deter us from using other engines FORCE us to have no choice but to use Daz because if they don't it's bad for business but It might be my tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist mindset though.

If you can help me at a level that very ill knowledged learning disabled people like myself can understand maybe I'll try but you keep talking to me like I'm your average person. I'm not. I have a learning disability so I struggle greatly at learning complicated things like this. So please if you want me to do work: a don't attack me b dumb down your explanation c set you expectations of me a lot lower

personally I feel like crying right now because of you all

I don't need one click solutions I just need solutions I am mentally capable of doing. So if you have solutions or ways to teach them for learning disabled people like myself please send them my way. That's all I'm really asking at the end of the day 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,859

milliethegreat said:

Can we stop making EVERYTHING geoshells and strand based hair? Or at least give an option for regular versions too? It's not easy for newbies to use in game engines and therefore alienates large swaths of artists out there! PLEASE JUST STOP!

i hear you, and I try to avoid geoshells as much as I can. 
    Mostly for the reason, they don't export very well, and I hate it like hell to have layers and layers of geoshells stacked onto each other.
    My character uses only one geoshell for vellus hair.
    Strandbased hair is DS only as well. good luck on export. I used to hate it at first, but I made my peace with it, since it has actually gotten better in quality.
    The first released SBHs looked terrible and were unusable, but vendors learnt and the hairs looked better. 
    Since Chevybabe25 released some shader prestes for SBHs, even some old hairs look way better.
    Sometimes dforce itself is the problem.
    Its slow and the simulation does weird unreproducable things sometimes.

Can someone enlighten me on how to get geoshells to work in unreal engine please? Please keep in mind I have a learning disability. And i feel bad for getting upset now by the way. I'm sorry guys 

edited June 22

Geoshells are a feature of DS. What you want to do is layer the textures onto the figure. Which geoshell are you trying to use?

Post edited by Gordig on

Masterstroke said:

Strandbased hair is DS only as well. 

I've been using Daz SBH in other programs for a couple years now. The trick is to use the right export settings, and export as OBJ, because I don't think splines are compatible with FBX, or at least not with DS's FBX exporter.

Gordig said:

Geoshells are a feature of DS. What you want to do is layer the textures onto the figure. Which geoshell are you trying to use?

Currently I'm working with geisha builder genesis 9

Gordig said:

Masterstroke said:

Strandbased hair is DS only as well. 

I've been using Daz SBH in other programs for a couple years now. The trick is to use the right export settings, and export as OBJ, because I don't think splines are compatible with FBX, or at least not with DS's FBX exporter.

Obj? Interesting. I've had hit or miss with importing obj created/saved in Daz also What settings do I use?

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,859

Gordig said:

fun fact:
    You can convert geoshells into full geometries using zbrush import/export or GoZ, but you will loose all UV informations.

Masterstroke said:

Gordig said:

fun fact:
    You can convert geoshells into full geometries using zbrush import/export or GoZ, but you will loose all UV informations.

But those software cost money right? I can't afford expensive software 

milliethegreat said:

I don't have that myself, but go into the Surfaces pane and select the face (head? I don't really use G9) surface, then scroll down until you see "UV set". Tell me what that says.

Obj? Interesting. I've had hit or miss with importing obj created/saved in Daz also What settings do I use?

Let me amend my statement, because it's not the export settings you have to change, but rather the simulation settings on the hair. Refer to the post I linked earlier, and make sure that you select the hair itself, not the haircap. The settings you need are in the Parameters pane, under Simulation and Line Tesselation.

Gordig said:

milliethegreat said:

I don't have that myself, but go into the Surfaces pane and select the face (head? I don't really use G9) surface, then scroll down until you see "UV set". Tell me what that says.

Let me amend my statement, because it's not the export settings you have to change, but rather the simulation settings on the hair. Refer to the post I linked earlier, and make sure that you select the hair itself, not the haircap. The settings you need are in the Parameters pane, under Simulation and Line Tesselation.

I'll look at that later. One project at a time 

I see under head

in order from top to bottom 

general

lines

base

makeup

occlusion

detail

top coat

metalic flakes 

geometry

volume

uv maps

smoothing

Do you need the geoshells too? There's more than one 

It'll be under UV Maps. As for whether you need the geoshells, the idea here is that you layer the textures directly onto the figure.

Sorry for the stupid questions but how do I layer them? And what do i do if there's more than one geoshell?

The geoshells are parented to the character not the character head specifically.

What does it say under UV maps on one of the geoshells? That will determine what the next step is.

Okay this is what I see.

there

arms 

body

fingernail 

HEAD

etc etc

and under head you have 

general

base

metalic flakes 

top coat 

volume

emition

geometry

under geometry you find UV

Under uv is uv set 

UV set is set to base multi UDIM

Good, that suggests that it uses the same UV set as the figure itself. Load one of the geoshells and apply the material you want to use. We're going to reference the location of the texture maps from that.

Okay but later today. I'm tired and my wife is calling me to bed

Sweet sassy molassey, do I hate Unreal. I did finally figure out how to import SBH, though.

• 3DmentiaNull3DmentiaNull Posts: 109

My hair needs are; hair that looks good in Filament on an animated figure in motion. The lastest hair developments look great in the ads but are of no use with my MO. After much experimenting, it seems clear that it's possible for a PA to layer hair in a way that removes at least most of the opacity culling, I do it myself after the fact. Of course, why not update Filament with a fix for this problem so one could use any hair? That's my 2  zillionths of a bitcoin's worth. laugh/ peace

Hey @gordig I'm back. When you're ready let's pick up where we left off last night 

Have you added a geoshell and materials?

Actually, are you on Discord?

Yes I am.