DUF as 'parent' in dsf file?

First time i've run into this one, just wondering if it's a PA screw up or it's some change with DS?

The product works as expected, if installed in default paths, which i don't use for multiple reasons.

SInce the product couldn't find the parent duf, it threw the usual 'product not found'/'modifier not created' errors.

corrected the path to the more common "/data/daz%203d/genesis%209/base/genesis9.dsf#genesis9" and it seems to be working the same as with default pathing.

Any ideas or anybody encounter this one before?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,480

References certainly can be to .dufs, is this something that is loading content to build or populate a scene or is it just standard content (one item or item set)?

• Richard Haseltine said:

References certainly can be to .dufs, is this something that is loading content to build or populate a scene or is it just standard content (one item or item set)?

I get that, just never saw it associated with a character morph file.

The duf being referenced is just a standard character preset, with nothing additional in the file.

If it is a Daz product I would certainly think it worth a report.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If it is a Daz product I would certainly think it worth a report.

It's not.

I was more tying to figure out how a content dev managed to do this, other than manually editing.

Possibly a morph or other property  that hadn't been saved as an asset, though that is a guess.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

I was more tying to figure out how a content dev managed to do this, other than manually editing.

Welcome to my world, I've been trying to figure that out for several years.

A bad "parent" is something I see all too often

Copy a DSF file from an older figure and paste it into a newer figure and forget to edit the Parent is more common than I would like.

Parent is looking for the right file but the pathway is pointing in completely the wrong place, that happens when you use "figure, prop asset" instead of "morph asset".

Parent looking for a DUF file, or a DSF file that has nothing to do with the figure, or pathway/file name completely scrambled are just some of the bad "Parent" data I've had to deal with, and I still have no idea how people manage to mess it up so badly.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277
    edited June 22

I don't really understand... For instance, for a Genesis x character's FBM, the path of its Parent in the DSF is just the Genenis x Base figure's default location in data folder.

Even if they replicate DSF file(s) for making new stuff, there should be no issue in terms of this path of Parent... unless they ever changed the location of the Parent's DSF in their Daz Lib... but why should they do that... especially as content creators ? It doesn't make any sense to me ~~

Frankly speaking I've never seen such issue before though I bought lots of products .... any example ?

Post edited by crosswind on