Vanishing Point Poser items and Daz

Does anyone know if the Vanishing Point Poser items can be used in Daz? I read some of the dialogue on some of the items and it makes me have doubts. Thanks you.

Comments

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,375

In a nutshell using Poser items requires modifying the textures/materials to get decent results in DAZ Studio. If Poser procedural materials were used you'll have REPLACE the materials. It can be no big deal, or it can be tedious beyond belief. Use of a materials converter would be optimal. I've always had good luck doing it myself when needed. Are you talking about a Vanishing Point model in particular?

• RiverMissyRiverMissy Posts: 296

Gogger said:

In a nutshell using Poser items requires modifying the textures/materials to get decent results in DAZ Studio. If Poser procedural materials were used you'll have REPLACE the materials. It can be no big deal, or it can be tedious beyond belief. Use of a materials converter would be optimal. I've always had good luck doing it myself when needed. Are you talking about a Vanishing Point model in particular?

No, not talking about any one item in particular. I am used to using really old Poser items but I don't think I have used any newer ones. I like item 100642, Giraffa for Poser. It says designed in Poser 11 and rendered in 12 and not supported in any other software package, so I am not sure what to think. Thank  you.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,266

Glancing over the product page, a fair amount of said figure is not going to work in D/S. {the hair and shaders for eg.}

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368

Catherine3678ab said:

Glancing over the product page, a fair amount of said figure is not going to work in D/S. {the hair and shaders for eg.}

Also possibly the rigging. 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,941

The thing to remember about the Vanishing Point items is that they've pretty basic in structure, and while they were markered specificallly usually sold in versions made for specific render engines, they mostly re-use the same basic photo-textures over and over rather than using a lot of special materials.  Personally, my experience has been that while there are some Vanishing Point items specifically made for Poser that had noticeable issues running in 3DL, I've yet to find one that doesn't render passably in Iray.  That said, the versions that are sold specifically for Iray do tend to render better due to the more specific tweaking.  

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,403

scorpio said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Yes, if it was made specifically for P11 there's a good chance it's weightmapped, so the rigging wouldn't work in DS.

• MardookMardook Posts: 292

I hope we see more Trek inspired sets and models for Daz released by VanishingPoint! 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,332

I have bought some of the Vanishing Point items marked for Daz Studio recently

and I am very happy with them.

They are all well done and looks great in Daz Studio iray renders.

In my opinion they looks much better than the old versions made for Poser,

which I have bought many years ago, so maybe that is why.

Catherine3678ab said:

Er... the O.P. was asking specifically about Vanishing Point products made for Poser in general and I'm not aware of anything that Vanishing Point has ever made that had hair on it.  Are you answering the question you thought you were?   

edited June 19

Cybersox said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Er... the O.P. was asking specifically about Vanishing Point products made for Poser in general and I'm not aware of anything that Vanishing Point has ever made that had hair on it.  Are you answering the question you thought you were?   

This comment was about the specific product "Giraffa for Poser" that OP referenced later. And yes, it does have dynamic hair.

Post edited by Leana on

scorpio said:

Catherine3678ab said:

AFAIK, the only weight-mapped figures Vanishing Point has ever directly supported are the DAZ Genesis figures.  All Poser specific products use the old V4 generation products, mostly M4.  

Leana said:

Cybersox said:

Catherine3678ab said:

This comment was about the specific product "Giraffa for Poser" that OP referenced later. And yes, it does have dynamic hair.

Ah, missed that.  Yeah, that's a brokered Poser World product and P.W. tends to be rather... esoteric in general.  I was a member back when they had the "lifetime memberships" and it was... an experience.

Poser World... That's a name I've not heard since a long time! I was a member too back in the day.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,644
    edited June 19

Poserworld still exists but is now under the same ownership as Vanishing Point. I think those of you who had lifetime memberships can still get the items that were free under that memership (now 'Club Classics'). You have to signup to Poserworld and provide proof that you had a lifetime membership under the old PoserWorld. You can contact PW support here: https://poserworld.com/customer/new-ticket

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

Cybersox said:

Leana said:

Cybersox said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Ah, missed that.  Yeah, that's a brokered Poser World product and P.W. tends to be rather... esoteric in general.  I was a member back when they had the "lifetime memberships" and it was... an experience.

I was a lifetime member too, although in my case "lifetime" lasted around 4 years. I am not complaining though as I did not pay much for the lifetime membership, and I got a fair number of products for it. The products from Poser World were not quite up to the quality of most of the stuff sold here, but at least it was not an endless selection of bikinis, bathrooms, Japanese school girls outfits and other stock favourites. There was a fair bit of stuff that were real world objects not often see in other products.