How do you make lighting stronger without increasing the size/radius?

ShadowzShadowz Posts: 45
edited June 14 in New Users

I'm trying to figure out how I can make a lighting more intense/stronger without increasing its size. I am doing an outdoor night scene using streetlights. Usually when you bump up luminance, it does make the lighting stronger but it also spreads out the light more (which I don't want). So is there any way I can make the lighting be specific size but stronger in that exact circular shape?

Think of it like a flashlight in dark where you see a circle shaped light. So what I wanna do is make that circle light more intense without changing the size of it. Is this possible? Thanks

Post edited by Shadowz on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,362

You mean a Spot Light or something ? I haven't seen that cranking up the value of Lumen increases the size of light... How did you do that ?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,799

Increasing "cm^2 factor" in render settings / tone mapping, will increase the brightness of the scene

For outdoor scenes I use cm^2 factor of 1-2 and for interior scenes 8-10

• ShadowzShadowz Posts: 45

crosswind said:

You mean a Spot Light or something ? I haven't seen that cranking up the value of Lumen increases the size of light... How did you do that ?

I haven't tried spotlight yet. If you apply emissive shader to like lets say a lamp bulb and then increase luminance, the higher you go the stronger and bigger the light effect's radius gets. I'm very amateur when it comes to Daz so there may be something Im doing wrong. What kind of settings do you have for spotlight, ill try spotlight and see. 

PerttiA said:

Increasing "cm^2 factor" in render settings / tone mapping, will increase the brightness of the scene

What I'm trying to do is a night scene using emissive shader on a streetlight lamp outdoors. But I need the streetlight to sort of light the ground in a circular shape with strong light and without increasing the radius of that light. Kind of like pointing a flashlight in dark

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,799

Shadowz said:

PerttiA said:

What I'm trying to do is a night scene using emissive shader on a streetlight lamp outdoors. But I need the streetlight to sort of light the ground in a circular shape with strong light and without increasing the radius of that light. Kind of like pointing a flashlight in dark

Yes. "cm^2 factor" will help you do that 

edited June 14

So the effect you want to get is like the attached screenshot ? This sort of head light and street light ?

!!Nite.png
    1800 x 1140 - 2M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 510
    edited June 14

This sounded like an interesting idea, so I thouht I would give it a try.

Here is a test I did using spotlights in a hallway. I set the 3rd light's brigtness at twice settings for the other lights. It's noticably brighter but the area that is lit is the same.

In this render, the spotlights are set as disc lights with a diameter of 100. Render emitter is off, and the Luminous Flux is set at 250000 except for the third light, which is 500000.

Since this is an indoor scene, I put a large rectangular light at the end of the hallway to provide just enough ambient lighting to bring out the other details.

Hallway Lights.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Post edited by Chezjuan on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,037

In Iray falloff is inverse square, so yes if you brighten the light it will visibly affect a larger area. Tone mapping will help with that, but you may want to render that light pass to a separate canvas (Advanced tab of Render Settings) so that you can work on it indepently in an image editor.

crosswind said:

So the effect you want to get is like the attached screenshot ? This sort of head light and street light ?

Yes! that circle shaped light is exactly what I want but I don't want the light to spread too far when I increase the luminance.  

Chezjuan said:

This sounded like an interesting idea, so I thouht I would give it a try.

Here is a test I did using spotlights in a hallway. I set the 3rd light's brigtness at twice settings for the other lights. It's noticably brighter but the area that is lit is the same.

In this render, the spotlights are set as disc lights with a diameter of 100. Render emitter is off, and the Luminous Flux is set at 250000 except for the third light, which is 500000.

Yeahh that is basically what I am looking for, thanks for that. Is that possible with like ghost lights?, or only possible with Spotlight?  

edited June 14

It is up to you to choose a Splot Light or Ghost Light, though I personally prefer to the former. With a Spot Light + its Disc Light Geometry which will lit a surface, it's easy to control by tweaking Lumen and Spread Angel, as well as Height / Width to soften the harsh edge in between the light and shadows.

With a Ghost Light, you probably need some good Emmission Profiles to have a better control...

Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

It is up to you to choose a Splot Light or Ghost Light, though I personally prefer to the former. With a Spot Light + its Disc Light Geometry which will lit a surface, it's easy to control by tweaking Lumen and Spread Angel, as well as Height / Width to soften the harsh edge in between the light and shadows.

With a Ghost Light, you probably need some good Emmission Profiles to have a better control...

Yeah spotlight seems easier and ghost lights dont seem to have these settings like spread angle and light geometry. The downside is that using spotlight seems to take longer to render from what I tested compared to ghost lights. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071

Shadowz said:

crosswind said:

Yeah spotlight seems easier and ghost lights dont seem to have these settings like spread angle and light geometry. The downside is that using spotlight seems to take longer to render from what I tested compared to ghost lights. 

You can use an IES Profile, although I haven't come across any with a tight beam, they all have spread/falloff. 

• felisfelis Posts: 3,903

I have used this previously. Although is has a falloff I am finding the center well defined.

Link: https://ieslibrary.com/browse#ies-00c6ce79e1d2cdf3a1fb491aaaa47ae0

felis said:

I have used this previously. Although is has a falloff I am finding the center well defined.

Link: https://ieslibrary.com/browse#ies-00c6ce79e1d2cdf3a1fb491aaaa47ae0

I have a few like that but the OP doesn't want the falloff/spread so I discounted them :) 

• felisfelis Posts: 3,903
    edited June 15

Then I can only see that the OP must use something that limits the lightspread.

Here I have put the lightsource inside a cylinder.

Lightcanon.png
    1200 x 800 - 291K
    Post edited by felis on

felis said:

Funnily enough that was one of my thoughts to. Stop the spread and channel the light :) 

felis said:

That is a pretty good idea, I'm going to experiment that