Lack of MetaData

evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

It is wonderful (?) that all these vendors are coming over to DAZ. I guess it means more visibility for them and a lack of some sort of restriction. But what's with the lack of MetaData? I am seeing this not only with the slew of products migrating but also some just "new" products: either a complete lack, shoddy, or piecemeal. I'm not going to open a report for every single product that has crappy MD. I thought this was someone's job? There was a lot of talk about an MD Librarian years ago. Did they get fired? I know not everyone uses it, but its really the best way to handle a huge product collection if one is not interested in manually moving it all around and then having to remember where the heck one put a certain thing.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,921
    edited June 13

The new PA's entire libraries were moved over at once and not a couple of products at a time. Some of their libraries, due to size would take months for a group of people to make the metadata. Considering the number of PA's that came here, it would take well over a year or two to complete them all with a team of people. QA is busy enough just with Daz products and every tester doing all that metadata for the newcomers on old products would take away from the Daz PA's with new releases in which there would be none for a long while let alone only do metadata for thousands of older products from other stores. I'm not sure if it'll be added in the future or not. I don't recall if they ever did metadata for the RDNA products when they came here.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464
    edited June 13

So, I'll be doing it myself then. What's the reason for the actual products with shoddy, incomplete or utter lack of MD like this one: https://www.daz3d.com/functional-training-shoes-for-genesis-3-and-8, which is a relatively new product?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you answering, even if I don't appreciate the answer. I don't know if DAZ has done any sort of surveys or has any data on who uses Smart Content vs who doesn't. I think that might be valuable information to have.

frank0314 said:

The new PA's entire libraries were moved over at once and not a couple of products at a time. Some of their libraries, due to size would take months for a group of people to make the metadata. Considering the number of PA's that came here, it would take well over a year or two to complete them all with a team of people. QA is busy enough just with Daz products and every tester doing all that metadata for the newcomers on old products would take away from the Daz PA's with new releases in which there would be none for a long while let alone only do metadata for thousands of older products from other stores. I'm not sure if it'll be added in the future or not. I don't recall if they ever did metadata for the RDNA products when they came here.So

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,115

What's the reason for the actual products with shoddy, incomplete or utter lack of MD like this one: https://www.daz3d.com/functional-training-shoes-for-genesis-3-and-8, which is a relatively new product?

Migrated product. Old or new doesn't matter. As far as I can tell, they're added "as-is" (and without additional license options, even for artists who usually offer them).
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,698

There was a lot of discussion on this a while ago. Basically, it is the way it is, they will not fix it, you have to create MD yourself for those itemsif you want it. Yeah I know. Weird way to do things. But there you are.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464
    edited June 17

I did not realize this, thanks for the correction. That, was, alas, only one example. There are plenty of products with broken or non-existent MD.

doubledeviant said:

evilded777 said:

What's the reason for the actual products with shoddy, incomplete or utter lack of MD like this one: https://www.daz3d.com/functional-training-shoes-for-genesis-3-and-8, which is a relatively new product?

Migrated product. Old or new doesn't matter. As far as I can tell, they're added "as-is" (and without additional license options, even for artists who usually offer them).
    Post edited by evilded777 on