Daz fatal error every time when rendering in Iray

I've recently started getting a fatal error when rendering in Iray, even with very simple single-item scenes. I have uninstalled Daz and re-installed without success.

The fatal error is "Daz Studio has encountered a fatal error and must close".

The Exception is "DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libiray.dll" at 0033:000000003B47BBDB, mi_plugin_factory()+2658315 byte(s)".

The error log file contains a single line "2024-06-08T14:12:41Z Startup".

Any help would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,067

What about the actual DS log - Help>Troubleshooting>View Log file (you will have to scroll back past the start up of the current session) or, on Windows, paste

%appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/log.txt

into the address bar of a file browser window to open it without starting DS

• HornetBoyHornetBoy Posts: 39

Thank you Richard. I deleted log.txt, opened Daz, created a very simple scene, started an iray render and it crashed with a fatal error as above. I looked at log.txt and can't see anything obviously wrong, all seems OK. I've attached the log.txt in case you can spot something I've missed. BTW I also stepped back my Nvidia driver to an older version with same outcome, and uninstalled content that I'd recently installed, again with same outcome.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823
    edited June 8
    The log does say "Please update your display driver (current version 473.81) (www.nvidia.com) to at least 522.06."
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,907

PerttiA said:

The log does say "Please update your display driver (current version 473.81) (www.nvidia.com) to at least 522.06."

OP has a GTX 660. 

felis said:

PerttiA said:

OP has a GTX 660. 

Yes, and it doesn't have 5xx drivers - That is the reason for Iray not working, although with 2GB's of VRAM, Iray would not be working anyways. 

• edited June 8

Looks like you might have the OOT texture error.

Either remove the Transmitted texture map from all surfaces associated with the martha's bob hair, or check for an update to that hair.

Post edited by DrunkMonkeyProductions on
  • PerttiA said:

felis said:

PerttiA said:

OP has a GTX 660. 

Yes, and it doesn't have 5xx drivers - That is the reason for Iray not working, although with 2GB's of VRAM, Iray would not be working anyways. 

a gtx 660 is kepler generation, it's been unsupported in iray for ~3-4 years. Ds version 4.15 dropped support

The multiple errors about it are just telling the user the card's not supported anymore.

Thanks to all for your helpful responses. Yes, I know that my GTX660 is low spec and to an extent I've been getting away with it for some time.  I mis-named this post in saying that I always suffer this problem when rendering - I now know that it only happens when certain products are included in the scene. Doesn't really explain why I can still Iray render very complex scenes (muliple G8 and G9 characters, all with other OOT hairs and HD clothing) without any issue, but some items (e.g Martha's Bob Hair) crash Daz when rendering even when it is the ONLY item in the scene!!; I uninstalled and re-installed this item using DIM with no effect. I've brought my Nvidia driver uptodate, (version 475.06 dated this month). I also completely uninstalled Daz Studio & DIM, including all metadata, and then re-installed. Will probably equip myself with a higher spec PC later this year, and in the meantime I can work with most of my content (but I guess not with Martha's Bob hair).

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 516
    edited June 9

I'm not sure why updating Martha's Bob didn't fix the issue. I think this thread had more information on the crash: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/656941/oot-hair-causing-crashes-in-4-22

Post edited by Shimrian on

Problem fixed. Thank you Shimrian, issue was OOT's Martha's Bob Hair and Rose Hair. Addressing the transmitted color map has fixed the problem, so i can continue working with my underpowered Nvidia card, which still seems to cope well with complex scenes, Iray and dForce. I have a lot of OOT's hairs and am a big fan, they are very flexible and render wonderfully in close-up. However I sometimes have things to address (successfully so far) with some OOT's hairs - this transmitted color problem, artifacts on forehead etc. - maybe these are simply Iray limitations rather than any shortcoming with the hairs themselves.

HornetBoy said:

so i can continue working with my underpowered Nvidia card, which still seems to cope well with complex scenes, Iray and dForce. 

Your GPU is not involved in Iray rendering at all because the GPU drivers are not up to minimum required (version 5xx), this is also stated in your log.

• PerttiA said:

HornetBoy said:

so i can continue working with my underpowered Nvidia card, which still seems to cope well with complex scenes, Iray and dForce. 

Your GPU is not involved in Iray rendering at all because the GPU drivers are not up to minimum required (version 5xx), this is also stated in your log.

There is no 5xx driver for Kepler generation cards, of which the GTX 660 is a member.

• HornetBoy said:

Problem fixed. Thank you Shimrian, issue was OOT's Martha's Bob Hair and Rose Hair. Addressing the transmitted color map has fixed the problem, so i can continue working with my underpowered Nvidia card, which still seems to cope well with complex scenes, Iray and dForce. I have a lot of OOT's hairs and am a big fan, they are very flexible and render wonderfully in close-up. However I sometimes have things to address (successfully so far) with some OOT's hairs - this transmitted color problem, artifacts on forehead etc. - maybe these are simply Iray limitations rather than any shortcoming with the hairs themselves.

Your gpu isn't being used for iray at all. The kepler generation, of which the GTX 660 is a member, hasn't been supported by iray since version 4.15 of daz studio, which came out in 2019 or 2020.

If you don't have CPU fall back enabled, all you'd get is a black render and an log error of  "IRAY   rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41, or enable CPU-only rendering."

This message was generated on DS 4.21.0.5, with an nvs-510(kepler), and driver version 472.12, on windows server 2016.

Thanks DrunkMonkey, understood. You're absolutely right, if I configure Daz for GPU-only rendering I get a black render, so I now know that it's using CPU-only rendering, which works fine for me - in fact I'm surprised at how fast renders generate without the GPU involved. I updated my NVIDIA driver to 475.06 earlier this week as advised on the NVIDIA website for my GTX660. From the feedback above I can only assume that I've been relying on CPU-only rendering since 4.15, blissfully unaware!