Working Genesis 9 Eyes and Old Toon Shaders

I have some older toon eye shaders that I play around with once in a while, that only render well in 3DLight (and they worked fine with G8).  I know there is a utilty that allows the transfer of legacy UVs to G9,  but I'm going to guess that even using that utility, the eyes are going to be problematic since G9 handles eyes very differently than G8 and older figures.

Has anyone successfully applied legacy toon shaders to the G9 eyeballs (I read up on the geometry and I don't think it's possible)?  At the moment I'm considering performing some old school mad scientist eye surgery and swap out the G9 eyeballs for G8 eyeballs, but is there an easier way?  I need the eyeballs to render well in 3DLight and the new G9 eyeballs I don't think will work.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,388

Legacy UV product works well on G9 Eyes, but only G3/G8 UV sets are provided. If you use other Toon shader products before G3, you have to remake Eye texture maps as per G9's eye UV templates. 

And if you use G3 ~ G8 toon shaders or whatever Eye material presets, there're two more points you have to pay attention to:

- Surface names on G9 Eyes are different from the ones on G3 ~ G8, you have to rename the surfaces before loading material or shader presets. And you have to apply presets on the seleted surface rather than selected Eye node, with holding Ctrl key beforehand.
    - You have to convert PBRSkin or Iray Uber shaders on G9's Eyes before apply the material or shader presets with 3Delight (RSL).

SNAG-2024-6-3-011.png
    2560 x 1392 - 2M
  • Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 356

Thanks for the feedback.  Much appreciated.