Studio 4.22.0.16 64-bit crashes pc. Any ideas?

Hi all, before I raise another ticket I'd like to open the floor to the community to ask if they have ever had this kind of issue before.

I can be working on a scene with 1 character or multiple characters. Sometimes I have an HDRI backdrop, sometimes just a couple of spotlights for low-key photo studio style renders. My pc will 'black out'. The fans continue work, the power stays on, but everything is dead. I have to resort to cutting the power to turn the machine off.

There are no fatal error messages, no warnings, No fail notices in the DS log file, nothing in the event viewer and task manager shows usage as being low. I have no idea what causes this.

My spec is a Windows 11 AMD Ryzen 7500 with 64GB RAM and rendering Iray on an Nvidia RTX3060 12gb card. Nvidia drivers are all up to date, which is what the last support ticket told me to make sure - which they always are anyway.

Only been doing this since the 4.22 release. I have noticed that the issue only happens when in Iray preview, so I'm pretty sure Iray is the cause. I also am not using OOT hair because I know that has had some issues since the release of 4.22 so I now try to avoid - I only have one product from OOT.But, is it my GPU, or other hardware conflict? I have no idea. Thank you all for your time, input and hopefully suggestions.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,067

Unfortunately that sounds like a GPU issue - possibly driver, but it could also be temperture (e.g. failing fan).

• russthedutchrussthedutch Posts: 9
    Hi Richard, yes I did also think that too initially but when I ran the fan diagnostic it didn't show up anything. Not that this matters but the card is less than a year old. I'll keep trying though. Thanks.
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,004
    edited May 28

The one thing to look at is Windows Event Viewer, and under Windows Logs, Application see if there is anything amiss. The other is to look under Applications and Services Logs, Hardware Events and see if anything shows up. As Nvidia drivers are known to cause hassles with Windows sometimes.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823

OCCT has been used to find problems, other tests (or heavy games) have not found

https://www.ocbase.com/

Great thanks. I'll try the OCCT but the Event Viewer didn't find anything.
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,388
    edited May 28

Such system failure does not write anything to DS log file. You may consider and try below checking and/or fixing:

- Install WinDbg and check / analyze the system dump files.
    - Completely uninstall your Nvidia driver with DDU The reinstall a fresh latest Studio driver.

PS: I used to help a folk to resolve the similar system failure with Nvidia card but all solutions failed... Eventually it was proved that his Nvidia card has defect. Then he got the replacement from the dealer. Issue was fixed then... So a flawed card might be one of the possibilies if all solutions fail...

Post edited by crosswind on
    I'll definitely try that too! I hope the card isn't defective, it's less than a year old. Maybe claim on warranty.
    edited May 28

Yeah, I also hope it will be just a driver issue rather than hardware issues. Good luck !

Post edited by crosswind on

Hi again, thank you for the suggestions. I've tried OCCT and had that running for an hour - it found no errors.

Ran the DDU and did a complete reinstall of my Nvidia driver, to Studio 555.85.

I don't understand the WinDbg file.

Had DS running now in Iray and it's not crashed as yet... fingers crossed old driver files were corrupting something somewhere.

Thank you for all your help!

Oh, that's great ! It's always better to try the simple and straigt-forward way for trouble-shooting first of all. You didn't have to consider WinDbg which would be a long journey for identify the culprit. That was my bad.. hoho ~

Hope your DS can run stably from now on ~~ yes 

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,601
    edited June 21

Reinstall 4.21, I had problems with 4.22 and I have a Dell Precision 7920 Workstation with 128gb of DDR 4 and two gold xeons so with fresh latest drivers on a 3090 from pny. Used Daz Installer to remove Studio 4.22 and installed backup 4.21 stuff just works LOL

Post edited by Silver Dolphin on
  • Unfortunately I don't have 4.21 backed up. I wish I did.
  • russthedutch said:

Unfortunately I don't have 4.21 backed up. I wish I did.

Submit a request through the help desk and they should provide you a copy of the necessary files.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,645

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

russthedutch said:

Unfortunately I don't have 4.21 backed up. I wish I did.

Submit a request through the help desk and they should provide you a copy of the necessary files.

Only on rare conditions if it's even available.

• If 4.22 starts playing me up again I'll reach out to the help desk, cheers. Mind you when I first reported the crashes to the help desk it took two weeks to respond and just advised me to reinstall DS.