Why Carrara is still LOVED, Any thoughts?

I think Carrara is still loved and is living because of its ease of use (UI/UX and workflow) and encapsulation of complex areas such as VFX (Physics engine, powerful yet easy particle system, etc.). It is still very affordable and comes with a perpetual license. Other free and perpetual license-based ones appear a little bit difficult when compared to Carrara. One of the other powerful features is its nice integration with older versions of Genesis such as Genesis 2 Creature Creator.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,200

Yes, agreed.  I've mentioned before that I have used Carrara so much for so long that its second nature.  I don't have to think how to do something, I'm free to decide what I want to do.  This is important when doing the 48 Hour film contest, where time is of the essence.  The other 3D program I use is VUE (even paying the annual fee) mostly for its great landscape scenes which I have purchased.  I don't use Carrara's particles since I very much like Particle Illusion, available as a free standalone but I bought the Vegas plugin perpetual license. Here is an example, mostly done in Carrara, with a VUE landscape @ ~1:08, plus Particle Illusion @ ~ 4:13.

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 294

my thoughts on why Carrara is still popular.
    As already described, the comprehensibility of the program. In addition, somehow everything is compatible. Even the Genesis 8 and 9 can be imported and used with a little reading :)
    I also haven't found anything in other programs that I can't implement in Carrara. Vue is now available for free with a plant catalog and Creator, but it doesn't come close to Carrara's usability.
    Somehow Carrara was ahead of its time, unfortunately it was never really used to its full extent. It's a shame that it isn't being developed further.

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 214
    edited May 25

Why Carrara is still LOVED

So much so, that I bought the 64 bit version of Carrara 8.5 alongside Cinema 4D and Blender and to my already existing License of Carrara 7 Pro, 3D World edition. I think that tells a story on why Carrara is still loved. With the cudos out of the way, let's try the juicy side of Carrara where the meat is.

Carrara falls easily in the category of a cheap allrounder. But because of the quality Carrara has to offer, it never got stamped off as a jack of all trades but a master of non. That what Carrara has under the hood doesn't fall short of usability to make a 3D-Artists life easy. In fact, it has so much to offer, it takes years to master everything there is to it. That is not, because Carrara is a difficult piece of software like Maya, but it wants us to dig deeper in the software. To be creative and curious about what we can achieve with it. It's interface may be a little outdated from the visual appeal but it actually is 100 percent perfect if you know how to make it work for you. And here also, Carrara will let you configure some aspects of the graphical user interface which make it look fresh once you tried. 

It would be belittleling the power users and enthusiasts to list all the fancy of Carrara. But let me instead list a few things that Carrara still misses in the ever growing 3D world. That is a Shader channel for Luminance. I don't understand why this feature hasn't made it in the 64 bit version of Carrara. Another is something similar to Blenders Geometry Nodes or Cinema 4D MoGraph. And lastly VDB support. And to be able to handle big 3D data with improved loading times.

That will wrap it up with a big Thanks to the eovia guys and DAZ 3D to give Carrara a second chance.

Thanks for reading guys.Thanks Carrara.

cheers

Post edited by Fettbemme on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,200

Fettbemme said:

Carrara falls easily in the category of a cheap allrounder. 

Good point.  I am not a modeler, preferring to buy the very high quality models available from the talented vendors at affordable prices, typically less than $10 on sale.  But I very much like having the "Model" section available in Carrara (unlike, say, VUE), in my case allowing modifications of purchased models.  Chopping off a piece of something, creating a new shading domain, etc.  Very handy.