CPU Management for better performance (like Process Lasso)

Just wondering if anyone has experimented using CPU/Core management.

I wanted to add more CPU priority to the DS processes. However when I used the built in Windows tools it had to be done each time I started up DS. Also it didn't give me as much control as I needed.

So I started using Process Lasso to simplify the management of CPU cores dedicated to DS. It's been working really good.

The key thing was to set aside a CPU (two cores) that was not dedicated to DS. This way when DS is heavily using it's CPU cores, the other non-DS processes are responsive.

This has really been nice and it allows me to do other work on my computer while DS is working hard on it's stuff.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,067

The Advanced tab of render Settings lets you tell DS how many cores to use for rendering, Windows/MacOS should do a fairly good job of balancing that across cores.

• TromNekTromNek Posts: 22

This is not for rendering. In general I turn off all CPU for rendering. For rendering, the additional CPU doesn't seem to speed up anything for me. I try and make everything fit into my GPU memory.

I do this for responsiveness in 'Texture Shaded' viewport navigation.

(Also, loading scenes and in the CPU preparation textures, lights, ... for rendering)