What are the optimal system specs to render in 3Delight?

What are the optimal system specs to render in 3Delight?

thank you

Comments

• All the cores and all the ram!

LOL

Seriously though, as 3delight is CPU bound, you'll want as many and as fast cpu cores as you can get.

I'd recommend avoiding intel cpus with E cores, as they are often significantly slower than their P cores.

If you've got the budget, look into threadripper(amd) as they get crazy with the core count.

If you don't have much of a system budget, look in to used workstations or servers with Xeon or epyc or opteron cpus.

You might be able to put a system together with dual 20c/40th(40c/80th total) for ~$500 on ebay.

Dell precision T7810 with a pait of E5-2688 v4's, could be something to stat with.

• VicSVicS Posts: 1,273

I do presently have a good budget, just want to get what will work and not be sorry later if it doesnt work good enough, want to make sure system does have a thermal event, wher4e the capaciters can pop

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

For V4 G1 G2 figures and assets 3DL may be indeed the best choice, because the iray conversion has some issues. You will also benefit from mipmapped textures and microdisplacement and motion blur that iray can't do. In general though, iray on CPU will render faster and better than 3DL in raytrace mode, but iray will also take much more ram compared to 3DL.

Keep in mind that 3DL can't render iray materials so G3 G8 G9 will mostly not work unless you convert materials in some way.

• VicSVicS Posts: 1,273

Yes I only use m and v4 lately

Just trying to get the best advice on what to look for to run 3DL the best it can run

thanks for any advice