Native Content file placement

I'm installing Carrara8.5Pro 64-bit, but can't use DLM because I only have Linux for online work.

Some of the zips for Native Content have paths that don't jive well with what the Carrara installation initially created. So I'm not sure where to put certain files in ProgramFiles\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5\.

DigitalPainters3DPaintBrushesSampler.zip has the following installation paths:

1) Carrara_8.5;8;7.2/Readme's/pics/8442.jpg

Does the jpg go in a Readme's folder somewhere, just for future reference? Or do I put it in ProgramFiles/DAZ 3D/Carrara8.5/pics?

2) Carrara_8.5;8;7.2/Readme's/ProductLists/FileList_844 2_1_ca_DigitalPainters3DPaintBrushesSampler_1.txt

That text file has some sort of scripting in it. Carrara installed a script-ish file in ProgramFiles\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5\data\Strokes\, named wizard.txt. So do all these sorts of text files go that location? Or is this <long-named> text file only for "me reading," as well? A Readme folder shouldn't have critical files in it, logically.

DigitalPaintersShaders.zip has the following:

1) Carrara_8.5;8;7.2;7;6/Readme's/pics/ca_shoo5b.jpg

So is that also just an example image, or does it actually go somewhere?

2) Carrara_8.5;8;7.2;7;6/Readme's/productLists/Addfolderimage.jpg

Ditto.

While I'm here, maybe I can also ask: The zip IM00008444-01_HowiesSnowScene.zip is additional content, right? It's not Native Content, so it'll go in a folder that Carrara will create when I eventually run Carrara.

I look forward to creating with Carrara. It's been a long wait. Now that I'm ready to install it, ... well I'll just say I'm frustrated. Especially after reading several installation tutorials and finding no answers. Thanks for your help with these things!

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited November 2015

i put stuff like snow scene in an external folder,
    then add it via the add folder in the browse tray.  
    when adding folders to like the shading tab, the add folder will ask for type of folder you are adding.
    .cbr file shaders,

i'm still learning, haven't run into pitfalls yet by keeping external folders.

I learned how to add ca folders from the readme.pdf included in this set: http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-skies-volume-2
    was in a sale few months ago.  gave me a breakthrough in understanding of atmospheres and backgrounds.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

Carrara specific things like Native Content and such goes into the Carrara installation folder. DIM just has to determine whether that is C6,7,8,8.5, etc.,

Please know that, by default, some content installed this way doesn't 'automatically' show up in the Carrara browser.

Here is a thread with some explanation:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/66532/finding-normal-carrara-content-like-runtimes-presets-and-objects#latest

There are many supplemental products that get installed where we don't see them in the browser without our help. To remedy this, we need to go into our browser and 'Add Folder' in the appropriate heading. However, I've noticed that several of the content items that I've bought were in custom folders inside the "Scenes" folder of the Carrara installation path. So I just add the entire "scenes" folder to my 'Scenes' tab in the browser. So now any new folders going into tht folder will show up without further action on my part.

Carrara is a little funky in that regard. It won't just show every folder in a specific Browser path, only those indexed. There are ways to index them, but I don't remember how.

Howie's Snow Scene, when installed by DIM, ends up in the browser without any further user action, I believe under a Misc folder in Scenes browser. It's quite the ingenius thing. I've recently opened that up to see it, render it, and check out how he worked out the snow and such. It's really neat how he's put that scene together. Howie Farkes is one amazing individual. His attention to detail is astounding and his scenes are set up in a nice way for taking them apart to see what's going on.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

one thing they forgets to tell new users.  carrara swaps z and y axis.  scaling tall = z axis  smiley

edited November 2015

By default installation, some products end up being located where we don't actually see them in the browser. There used to be instructions either in the installer or on the web regarding "Adding the product folders to your browser". We have to use the File/Folder menu (top right little icon on the browser window) to "Add Folder" to a tab in the browser. So I look into the installation files as to where things get installed and make sure that I add the correct folders to the browser. However, I've since found it to be easier to simply add the actual folder that holds literally All content of that particular type of file. In this example, I'm looking at "Scenes". So looking at this image, you can see that I've added the "Scenes" folder of Carrara's installation directory to the "Scenes" tab of my browser. The result is that every subdirectory of that folder is now available within the browser - something that is not true otherwise.

To the right of the main screenshot is a stamp of the newly added "Scene" folder with some of the subcategories opened. It allows me access to every little thing which gets added for scenes files.

AddScenesFolder.jpg
    773 x 721 - 331K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • I really appreciate everyone's responses here.

I'm sure all the info here will make sense to me when I get over my "fear" and just dive in, instead of being so compulsive about getting everything installed correctly first.

I did look previously at the thread mentioned above, "Finding 'normal' Carrara content like runtimes, presets, and objects." So, yeah, perhaps I'd better just dive in, instead of expecting this stuff to make sense before-hand.

By the way, Dartanbeck, I have your "Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands." It's probably the first thing I'll begin studying - very excited about it. The images and videos are very inspiring.

Thanks again, everyone.

Cool! I hope you enjoy it!

Since you're new to Carrara, I should point out where that "Add Folder" stuff is. It helps a lot :)

FileFolderMenu.jpg
    1367 x 727 - 548K
  • Thanks for the Add Folder info, Dartanbeck. Strange, this part of the forum doesn't send an alert to my email when a comment comes in... Lucky I checked back. Have a great day.