How do I achieve this? With D-Force?

So I'm trying to create an action scene of a woman in a short skirt jumping in the air. The character is on the decline from the jump so the skirt needs lift (see attachment for example of what I'm trying to achieve) - what's the best way to do this? Using D-force on the skirt with a negative gravity perhaps? Zero gravity and wind blowing up? Or maybe use a deformation of some kind?
1__.jpeg.jpg
450 x 675 - 55K

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,455
    edited November 2023

dForce sim + a bit negative gravity will work, better use timeline, set the figure fall from a certain higher position to the current position.

As for Wind Node, I would say the effect from wind blow and a fall from a higher position is more or less different (it's a sor of 'floating skirt' effect in your posted image, and some part up, some part down...), but you may take this chance to try Wind Node. Blow from the bottom, give the wind node a bit angle and don't blow too much. But I'm afraid you may have to use dForce modifier weight node to tweak some weights on the skirt...

Besides, if you have Mesh Grabber, you even can drag and push the skirt without using dForce... or Mesha Grabber first to shape a better initial shape for the skirt before simulation...

dFormer can also be used but that might be a little bit cumbersome for your case... So anyway, there're a few ways for you to experiment...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,821

I think negative gravity may be too much, maybe try merely lowering gravity to something between 0 and 1.

Use the timeline to make the character "fall" during your dForce simulation.

Hylas said:

I think negative gravity may be too much, maybe try merely lowering gravity to something between 0 and 1.

Use the timeline to make the character "fall" during your dForce simulation.

Yes, but that'll also depend on the settings on dynamic surfaces. If we use timeline, in most of the cases, we'd rather give more + or - force to the item than not enough, then we can just use the result from an interim keyframe...

• crosswind said:

dForce sim + a bit negative gravity will work, better use timeline, set the figure fall from a certain higher position to the current position.

As for Wind Node, I would say the effect from wind blow and a fall from a higher position is more or less different (it's a sor of 'floating skirt' effect in your posted image, and some part up, some part down...), but you may take this chance to try Wind Node. Blow from the bottom, give the wind node a bit angle and don't blow too much. But I'm afraid you may have to use dForce modifier weight node to tweak some weights on the skirt...

Besides, if you have Mesh Grabber, you even can drag and push the skirt without using dForce... or Mesha Grabber first to shape a better initial shape for the skirt before simulation...

dFormer can also be used but that might be a little bit cumbersome for your case... So anyway, there're a few ways for you to experiment...

Thank-you for the advice, I've had a quick play around but I'm not back in the office until tomorrow afternoon so anymore playing will have to wait.. from my few tests, I think purely a drop from a height over a short period of frames is giving me results similar to what im looking to achieve. Maybe once I'm pretty much there I can use mesh grabber to refine it. On a side note, what's your experience in using dforce on a non dforce item of clothing. I realised the skirt I was using wasn't a dforce skirt so changed it for a dforce one.. ideally I much prefer the non dforce skirt. Is it possible to make this dforce?

nikkisavedave said:

crosswind said:

Thank-you for the advice, I've had a quick play around but I'm not back in the office until tomorrow afternoon so anymore playing will have to wait.. from my few tests, I think purely a drop from a height over a short period of frames is giving me results similar to what im looking to achieve. Maybe once I'm pretty much there I can use mesh grabber to refine it. On a side note, what's your experience in using dforce on a non dforce item of clothing. I realised the skirt I was using wasn't a dforce skirt so changed it for a dforce one.. ideally I much prefer the non dforce skirt. Is it possible to make this dforce?

Certainly it's possible. You just add dForce modifier to the skirt or find a similar pleated skirt product like that. 

Add dForce modifier, may check this tutorial from Mada - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUYjiCXJ2Zk&t=3s

I rougly used a Primitive - Cone to make a similar shape skirt in DS, add dForce modifier and finetune the simulated shape with Blender (much faster than Mesh Grabber), like attached sShot..

SNAG-2023-11-4-0130.png
    2560 x 1400 - 635K
  • crosswind said:

nikkisavedave said:

crosswind said:

Certainly it's possible. You just add dForce modifier to the skirt or find a similar pleated skirt product like that. 

Add dForce modifier, may check this tutorial from Mada - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUYjiCXJ2Zk&t=3s

I rougly used a Primitive - Cone to make a similar shape skirt in DS, add dForce modifier and finetune the simulated shape with Blender (much faster than Mesh Grabber), like attached sShot..

That looks great! Just the look I'm after.. I'll give the youtube vid a watch and see how I go. Thank you again for your help and advice

nikkisavedave said:

crosswind said:

nikkisavedave said:

crosswind said:

That looks great! Just the look I'm after.. I'll give the youtube vid a watch and see how I go. Thank you again for your help and advice

Great ! Good luck and happy simulation !laugh