How good is this character?

Hello people, I'm new artist!

I've just started some time ago as a vendor somewhere else, but couldn't contact vendors support here and I'm not sure how it works.

I would like to hear your feedback about my first character. She's compatible with G9/8/8.1 and has 8K textures

Do you think I should try entering this store? How to do that?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,455

If the 8K detail normal maps were made by you, that'll be really welcome as I've seen no product with new tailor-made 8K DN maps except for the ones originate from V9...

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,066

It's very easy to take a 4k map and upscale it to 8k using an AI upscaler.  Maybe Daz quality review has a policy against that, I don't know.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,674

I like the face morph. Other than that she looks ok based on the promos you posted, maybe a litte on the orange side, but then again, so are many of the DAZ characters. I would ask for some more shots to show the details, but since this is an existing product at another store, not sure how DAZ would feel about that. Good luck with submitting here!

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

Seven193 said:

It's very easy to take a 4k map and upscale it to 8k using an AI upscaler.  Maybe Daz quality review has a policy against that, I don't know.

it's also easy to just bake a 8K normal or displacement map instead of a 4K map from one's high res model in the first place.

This option assumes that vendors make/sculpt their characters in high res, which i guess some dont, and they just derive their character details from other maps etc

edited November 2023

A real high quality DNM is totally different from NM or an ordinary DNM, or just a simple bake... If you check 8K DNM from G9 Essentials, you'll find they were scanned...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,066
    edited November 2023

"8K micro details"

Does that mean the color maps are not 8k?  i can see how you can create 8k detail maps from the model, but 8k color maps must be scanned or painted.  If I wasn't a very technical person, I would assume all maps were 8k, color and detail, so anything else would be confusing.

BTW, I think skin can also be procedurally generated, but I never seen any Genesis character using procedurally generated skin.

Post edited by Seven193 on
    edited November 2023

8K micro details OP mentioned must be DNM rather than Base Color or Diffuse...otherwise it'll be seriously challenging when rendering... even doomed.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

crosswind said:

A real high quality DNM is totally different from NM or an ordinary DNM, or just a simple bake... If you check 8K DNM from G9 Essentials, you'll find they were scanned...

oh i didnt read that their post referred to micro detail map.  Yes, that would most likley refer to detail normal map for Skin PBR shader.

I guess if people are super eager for 8k detail normal maps, there are many websites selling those (from body scans). Also can derive them from zbrush tools made for skin detailing etc etc.

I never bother to use detail normal maps in Daz because when i observe people who use them, it seems they always end up criss-crossing over other details on the underlying maps and it looks too overloaded, and orientation of detail maps dont the proper skin pore/skin cell direction.  That said, I probably need to experiment more with them.

edited November 2023

lilweep said:

crosswind said:

oh i didnt read that their post referred to micro detail map.  Yes, that would most likley refer to detail normal map for Skin PBR shader.

I guess if people are super eager for 8k detail normal maps, there are many websites selling those (from body scans). Also can derive them from zbrush tools made for skin detailing etc etc.

I never bother to use detail normal maps in Daz because when i observe people who use them, it seems they always end up criss-crossing over other details on the underlying maps and it looks too overloaded, and orientation of detail maps dont the proper skin pore/skin cell direction.  That said, I probably need to experiment more with them.

Yeah I know, and those high quality scanned skin textures products are fairly expensive... Actually I don't use HD textures, DNM, etc. in most of the cases as I prefer to stylized characters but sometimes my customers need so-called 'photo realism'... cool

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,821

Looking good! I think the quality is strong enough for the DAZ store, from what I can see here.

• Well hello there Tri-X.  I've got Madison & Eleanor in my wishlists on a couple sites.  If you become a PA here I'll put them in my DAZ store wishlist too.  There are modifications I'd have to make to the shape & textures.  I don't mind doing that for characters here because I often get a significant discount.  If I purchase a character someone else has made it's just my way of saying I appreciate the effort or hey neat concept.  I'll do a couple renders then move along.  It's clear you've got a passion for this & I'd be pleased to see you become a PA if that's what you want.  I look forward to seeing what you do in the future.  Best wishes.