Rendering: is it possible to save memory and time by hiding objects from the scene?

Hi,

today I run into the issue for the first time that the rendering took very long for a scene. I checked the log and it stated that the graphic card was not able to manage it and that the rendering was done with CPU instead of GPU. I'll keep an eye on this for future renderings but for now I tried to reduce the needed memory by hiding objects which are not seen in camera during rendering. I think that this had some sucess but to be honest - I am not really sure. The rendering did not take hours as some descibe it here in the form (it took a little bit more than half an hour - but my other renders run very much faster).

So does dazstudio save loading of textures and mesh data when the object is hidden in the scene navigator? Does it have any impact? Or what other strategy can I use? Addtional question: is there a way to find out which textures are the biggest ones loaded during rendering so that at least those textures could be optimized?

Best,
dissendior

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,784

Yes, hiding objects outside what the camera can see is what Camera View Optimiser does to help squeeze the VRAM usage down a bit.

If you want to see all the textures sorted by size then Scene Optimiser has that. It can also downsample images that you select too.

• DissendiorDissendior Posts: 117

Thank you for the tips... esspecially the Scene Optimiser looks very promising

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,784

No problem :) I tend to hit the VRAM limit on most of my renders so have to use those two almost all the time.