How can I make a figure look a little transparent

How can I change the transparency of an object? And, how can I duplicate a figure?

Comments

• Surfaces pane>Editor tab, select the surfaces and adjust Cutout Opacity/Opacity (depending on shader and render engine). For Iray it would be better to use the transmission options. Do bear in mind, however, that this will make the object see-through as an object - you will see internal details such as the eye spheres, mouth interior, ear tubes so it may well not be what you want. 3Delight does have a shader, pwGhost, that is able to make the whole model an overlay showing only the surffaces that would be visible with full opacity but there is no Iray equivalent.

Edit>Duplicate gives options for making an independent copy of selected items, Create>New Geometry Shell will give a copy that matches the shape and pose of the original but can have its own materials, and the Create>New Node instance commands will create exact duplicates that always minic the current state of the original in all repsects but overall placement and scale.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,913

For Iray, the best option would be to render the thing(s) you want transparent on a separate canvas from the rest of the scene and composite them in your image editing/postwork software of choice with the transparent object(s) given a lower opacity level.

• How do I render a object?

• Hit the Render button on the redner Settings pane, or the render>Render emnu command, or just cmd (Mac)/ctrl(Win) r. By default that will open a new window and calculate how the current light, models, and surface properties should combine to make an image - it can be saved and closed using the name box at the bottom of the render wiindow and hitting its Save button, or via File>Save Last Render (which will leave the render window open until you close it).

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,913

Richard's instructions are to render the scene, which I suspect you already know how to do. To set up canvases, go to the Render Settings pane, click on the Advanced tab, then the Canvases tab. Check "Canvases", then create two beauty canvases. Add selections of nodes for the object(s) you want rendered separately on one canvas, and for the rest of the scene on the other.

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 209
    edited August 2023

Use these presets in the linked zip file.  They are for G8.1, but you can adapt them to G8 or other easily enough using Richard's advice.  I use them for doing renders of dForce clothing where something might show. Full opacity, half opacity and pretty much invisible.

Character Opacity Presets G8.1

See it in action here

Post edited by Causam3D on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,799

A brute force way to do it would be to render the scene twice - once with the ghostly figure and once without. Then layer one render above the other in an image editor and reduce the opacity of the top layer until you're happy with the result.