Recent Daz Studio versions won't recognize GPU?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

It seems 4.10 is the last version that recognizes my GTX 980 ti GPU. Is there a way to enable 4.21 to use this GPU for rendering? 

I'd use 4.10 for rendering, but now some clothing items refuse to fit to figures when using that older version. The "torn shirt" for example won't fit to Toon Dad in 4.10, but fits in 4.15+.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

Can you not afford to get a newer GPU? the 3060 or 4060 are less than $300. I think this is an nVidia thing and not a DAZ thing

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

I'll look into it, but I'm using an older mac pro tower and I think this is the most powerful GPU they accomodate.

Having said that, what is a dream-machine setup for animation with Daz? I'd even be open to setting up a PC system though I'm more comfortable with Mac.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

With a Mac I'm afraid you're out of luck, as Nvidia and Apple don't work together anymore so there are no Mac drivers available for your GPU (or any newer nvidia GPU) which would be recent enough to work with recent versions of Iray.
    I think the last version of DS which could render with GPU on a Mac was one of the 4.12.

I'm not sure what the dance is that make the Mac, Daz, and Nvidia work in 4:10, but not in more recent versions.  

Time for a new rig! Way overdue really.  Open to suggestions and I take it using Nvidia GPU's would speed up rendering in Iray, but I may have to shift to a PC rig for that.

• Yes, you would need to have a Windows system for GPU support in Iray, I'm afraid.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

Deke said:

I'm not sure what the dance is that make the Mac, Daz, and Nvidia work in 4:10, but not in more recent versions.  

Each version of Iray has a minimum GPU driver version required as it relies on some features included in the driver to work with the GPU.
    Unfortunately for Mac users, at some point Nvidia stopped publishing new versions of Mac drivers. So newer versions of Iray which rely on features added in drivers for other systems after that point can't work with GPU anymore on Macs since the most recent Mac drivers don't have those features.

Thanks for the explanation. I may use my old system to get through this project, but will investigate getting into a new machine going forward, probably a PC.