Is there a way to make a character sit flat on a plane?

This was a hard question to figure out how to word in the thread title. XD

Please see attached.

You see how if there was a plane under her, there would be five points of contact (two hands, two feet, and her butt)?

If there any simpler way of making all of those points sit flat on the plane short of doing each point individually?

I ask because I was doing a render the other night where I had to do a couple of test renders because only once I started rendering did I realize that while her left hand looked flat on the floor, her right hand was hovering by half an inch. And her right foot was clipping into the floor, and her left foot was also hovering above the floor. Even in the attached image you can kind of see how uneven she's sitting, because I saved this pose before doing the corrections.

And sure, if the answer is "yeah, you have to do each hand and each foot individually", well, them's the breaks. :D

But sometimes people know tricks that make the task easier, or ways of getting better results from less work, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

sitting.jpg
853 x 653 - 71K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,063

I sometimes add a smoothing modifier to a figure and make the plane the collision object, only really works on naked characters though

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

My answer is: Yeah, you have to do each hand and each foot individually.
    IMHO there is no magic trick to creating precise poses, just a little patience and hard work.
    Or buy well-made poses. (Which will have to be adjusted according to the character's morph)
    A good idea is to use orthographic views (Front view, left, right and back view) in Texture Shaded mode to place the hands and feet and butt accurately on the floor.
    Hope this helps a bit...

• Matt_BrownMatt_Brown Posts: 176

Another problem is the humans are a bit squishy, DAZ figures are usually not. Poses that stop at exactly the first point of contact tend to look very unrealistic. The easiest work around is to lower the figure until part of the butt is sticking through the surface. It would be very hard for an automated process to judge that correctly.

If you just want someone standing on the ground in shoes then this https://www.daz3d.com/heelscontrol might help you.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I sometimes add a smoothing modifier to a figure and make the plane the collision object, only really works on naked characters though

Well, I've never used a smoothing modifier before nor do I know what it does, so it's something to look into. :) Thank you Wendy.

• rosseliani said:

My answer is: Yeah, you have to do each hand and each foot individually.
    IMHO there is no magic trick to creating precise poses, just a little patience and hard work.
    Or buy well-made poses. (Which will have to be adjusted according to the character's morph)
    A good idea is to use orthographic views (Front view, left, right and back view) in Texture Shaded mode to place the hands and feet and butt accurately on the floor.
    Hope this helps a bit...

Yeah, I can try orthographic view. Usually I just fly around in perspective view, which can be a bit chaotic. Every bit helps. Thanks rosseliani.

• Matt_Brown said:

Another problem is the humans are a bit squishy, DAZ figures are usually not. Poses that stop at exactly the first point of contact tend to look very unrealistic. The easiest work around is to lower the figure until part of the butt is sticking through the surface. It would be very hard for an automated process to judge that correctly.

If you just want someone standing on the ground in shoes then this https://www.daz3d.com/heelscontrol might help you.

That's what I ended up doing in the actual render for the above pose, with the girl on the ground -- her butt was clipping into the floor a bit and it looked naturalish. Actually maybe not so much, because there was still a lot of space between her butt and the floor, so it may not have looked the best, but using Google to find a straight-on view of the above pose is difficult at best. :D

I'll look into that heels control product. Thank you Matt.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

They are called squish morphs,  to emulate the body being squished when in contact with a hard surface.  There are various packs.  choose the one that works best for you.  You can do it yourself with certain tools and modellers.

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?mature=true&q=squish

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 558

Taylor-S-Rose said:

Please see attached.

You see how if there was a plane under her, there would be five points of contact (two hands, two feet, and her butt)?

If there any simpler way of making all of those points sit flat on the plane short of doing each point individually?

I ask because I was doing a render the other night where I had to do a couple of test renders because only once I started rendering did I realize that while her left hand looked flat on the floor, her right hand was hovering by half an inch. And her right foot was clipping into the floor, and her left foot was also hovering above the floor. Even in the attached image you can kind of see how uneven she's sitting, because I saved this pose before doing the corrections.

And sure, if the answer is "yeah, you have to do each hand and each foot individually", well, them's the breaks. :D

But sometimes people know tricks that make the task easier, or ways of getting better results from less work, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

My  go-to tool in such cases is https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-pose-master 

One of the tools you get is a gizmo on each hand and each foot where you can control X, Y and Z individually and the rest of the joints automatically follow.

In your case for example if you want the hands closer together you just modify the coordinates of the gizmo of one hand and the joints automatically move.

• FirstBastion said:

They are called squish morphs,  to emulate the body being squished when in contact with a hard surface.  There are various packs.  choose the one that works best for you.  You can do it yourself with certain tools and modellers.

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?mature=true&q=squish

Oh, that's right! I remember coming across these morphs when I was first getting into Daz and I totally forgot about them. Thank you firstbastion.

• markusmatern said:

Taylor-S-Rose said:

Please see attached.

My  go-to tool in such cases is https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-pose-master 

One of the tools you get is a gizmo on each hand and each foot where you can control X, Y and Z individually and the rest of the joints automatically follow.

In your case for example if you want the hands closer together you just modify the coordinates of the gizmo of one hand and the joints automatically move.

Oh, cool. This product is one of the reasons why I ask questions here on the forums -- a lot of the time people know of tools that I wouldn't even imagine existed, much less known how to find. Thank you Markus.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,300

Actually you just can use Active Pose tool + Lock/Unlock + dragging (better with PowerPose and some PoseControl morphs) to make your pose done very quickly... V3Digitimes' tool is not easy to use, even cumbersome, though I own it. TBH, after you get one full body pose done with it, I might've already done three at least...