Is there a Skin Builder 8 for 8.1?

Like the title stated I don't mind either way but this will be a major choice to decide which gen I choose. Is there an 8.1 version I missed in the shop or a similar product that does the same thing? Or is tthere a way to use Skin Builder on a gen 8 model? Would really like to know as I don't want too buy for gens I'm not going to use. Thank you.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

There's no version for 8.1. However you can build a skin for G8F and then use it on 8.1

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,913
    edited June 2023

To expand on Leana's answer, G8.1 includes the same UVs as G8, plus a new UV for the separate head and body surfaces. You can use any G8 skin on 8.1 as long as you set the correct UV in the Surfaces pane by selecting the surface(s) you want to change and changing UV Set from Base 8.1 Female Base Female to Base Female. G8 material presets will automatically set the right UVs, so if you build a Skin Builder skin on G8F and save that as a material preset (File -> Save As -> Material Preset), you should be able to apply that to G8.1 and have it work.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • DrakenfelDrakenfel Posts: 23
    edited June 2023

On another note Skin Builder is only for females but I did find this 'Ultimate Iray Skin Manager' that seems to work on both genders has anyone tried it out is it any good? I would prefer to make every character myself rather than buy them so I hope it is as good for males as Skin Builder is for female.

Post edited by Drakenfel on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

Drakenfel said:

On another note Skin Builder is only for females but I did find this 'Ultimate Iray Skin Manager' that seems to work on both genders has anyone tried it out is it any good? I would prefer to make every character myself rather than buy them so I hope it is as good for males as Skin Builder is for female.

Skin builder is for creating actual textures or adding details to existing textures. Ultimate Iray skin manager is just for changing the settings on the textures, how shiny they are, how dark, etc.

I have looked through the store some more in my free time and found Ultimate PBRSkin Manager would this do everything Skin Builder can do but for the male models as well?

• No, they do ttoally diffrent jobs - only Skin Builder is for creating maps.https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-pbrskin-manager is, as it says, a manager for adjusting settings across mutliple surfaces using the Iray PBRSkin shader (there is also a version for Iray Uber base).

For anyone else who might be interested in a variaty of skin tones for your male characters I solved this issue by buying my way through it and finally I found

'Wet and Tanned Skins for Genesis 8.1 Bundle'

It is not as good as Skin Builder but it does everything I need it too to create a large variety of diffrent models. Really wish there was a Skin Builder though.