Renderocity "loose" files

When I install my Renderocity assets I notice that there are often "loose" files installed that are not in any of the folders and end up in the root for my assets. These varry as to type: png, jpg,  gif, MTL files paired with there respective 3D obj file to mention a few. Recently, I  encounterd a conflict during an install in which the "loose" file name already existed, so I am curious why these exists and are they necessary?  In this particular case the product appears to load fine without the conflicting "loose" file - in this case a png file. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

Is this a Renderosity free product?  or a store bought one? 

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,784
    edited June 2023

Not sure about mtl files but if I recall correctly the jpg/png files that I have seen "loose" in the zip contents have usually tended to be promo images or thumbnails. I have also seen documentation/licence text files loose in the root folder instead of the the documentation folder.  However, it sounds like in your case, you probably have a product that is packaged for both Daz and maybe Blender (or similar product)?

Renderosity does have a lot of Daz stuff but also is more open in that you'll see lots of Poser products (given that Poser is owned by the same company) and some other packages too. Therefore, installing is not quite as streamlined as Daz - and even then stuff packaged for the Daz store is not exactly always perfect.

I would imagine that if you have mtl, obj and image files (which are presumably texture files in your case) loose you can probably move those out of your Daz library and into a folder for Blender (if you think you may use that in the future) or possibly delete them.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • its_wayneits_wayne Posts: 25

In response to - FirstBastion: Looking at my accounting. The majority are purchased.

- SofaCitizen: Primairly trying to save space on the drive so, I'd like to either delete them all or move them to a flash drive in case desired later.  In the case of the two conflicting png files they are both patterns of the respective outfits, however deleting them appears to have no affect

on the the proucts working. I hate the thought of going file by file as it would be time consuming. 

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,784

its_wayne said:

In response to - FirstBastion: Looking at my accounting. The majority are purchased.

- SofaCitizen: Primairly trying to save space on the drive so, I'd like to either delete them all or move them to a flash drive in case desired later.  In the case of the two conflicting png files they are both patterns of the respective outfits, however deleting them appears to have no affect

on the the proucts working. I hate the thought of going file by file as it would be time consuming. 

I understand the desire to keep the folder clean for a variety of reasons, although I would suggest that you try and push that to one side as much as you can or you'll forever be trying to tidy up the mess left by certain products. Not even the Daz store which is almost exclusively Daz Studio products is safe from littering mess all over the place.

I believe it's good practice to keep the downloaded zip files of products you purchase, if you are able to. This will protect you from losing acess to a product you paid for if it is pulled from the store you purchased it from, in addition to acting as insurance against deleting something accidentally.

So with that in mind, if you do not plan to use the products in another 3D package, I believe you would be safe to delete the OBJ files, MTL files and duplicate textures stored outside of /runtime/textures.

• its_wayneits_wayne Posts: 25

I save all the ZIP files to a a thumb drive and on my backup drive.  Thanks for your suggestions.