Glitter with OpenGL (Carrara 5.1)

Hi from France,

I need to use Carrara 5.1 on a new PC with Windows 10 but I get glitter when using OpenGL (when start / end camera repositioning).
Also in polygonal editor, points are missing when closed zoom view. Eovia is slower than OpenGL, and in polygonal editor, Eovia show points through shapes.

Yesterday I bought a book including Carrara 6 pro. I hope this version has better managment with OpenGL ?
If version included is 6.0, can I find easily update 6.1 ?

Thanks for attention !

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2015

Does anyone know the sale status of Carrara 8.5? If it is inexpensive, the latest version will be the best option.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • yes do grab 8.5 so much has be improved since 6 you are doing yourself a disservice otherwise

3D paint in 7 bullet physics in 8

esp since versions since 7 are 64 bit and 8 is going to give less issues with Win10 than an old version

the pro version is actually cheaper too and if you join the DAZ platinum club for a month before purchase  you can get it cheaper still

edited September 2015

Just a minor correction, Wendy. Version 8, was the first with 64 bit. Version 7 is stuck at 32 bit.

• Thanks for informations !

So, with Windows 10 -64 bits- the best solution seems Carrara 8.

By the way, someone knows the evolution between Carrara / OpenGL since Carrara 5 ?
    ... even if the problem can come from graphic card -intel HD 4400-

edited September 2015

I don't use Windows, so I don't know. Can you post a screen capture of what you are describing. I have a feeling there may be a slight language barrier and colloquialisms and idioms don't always translate that well. This is not a negative comment about your English skills, which seem good, but about the fluidity and subtleties of language.

I would think the later versions of Carrara, in this case, Carrara 8.5 would be the best choice, and should, in theory, be more compatible with the latest Windows version and OpenGL implementation.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited September 2015

I would also add that only the Pro version of Carrara is 64 bit. Also, if you use a 32 bit version of Carrara on a 64 bit computer, you are still bound by the limitations of 32 bit software, namely you will be limited to a theoretical cap of 4 GB of RAM that Carrara can use. The 64 bit version allows you to use as much as RAM as you have installed (after what is needed for Windows, and any other program you are using at the same time).

• Thanks for informations !

So, with Windows 10 -64 bits- the best solution seems Carrara 8.

By the way, someone knows the evolution between Carrara / OpenGL since Carrara 5 ?
    ... even if the problem can come from graphic card -intel HD 4400-

I have Windows 10 and an Intel 4000 graphic card. No OpenGL issue with Carrara 8.5. I also have no issue with Carrara 7.2 (the oldest version I have). Can't tell for 5.1.

• Ok, thanks for these informations !

I should mention display problems most clearly :

-With OpenGL in assembling room when change angle of view, last memorized position appear a brief instant. Probably a refresh problem.
    In polygonal room, last memorized position appear a brief instant when cursor exit active window. And handle-points are missing in closed view (forced to left view, right view, etc.).

-Eovia is better but slower ... and in polygonal room, points and lines who must be hidden according priority depth (again in forced view like left, right, top, etc.).

openGL

Eovia

• Could that be adjusted in the Interactive Renderer using the quality/performance slider, or some other options?
  • Yes, I tried changing options from Carrara and from graphic card panel but no change.

I just installed "Carrara_8.1.1.12_Win32" trial version.
    Now, I understand what you mean about quality/performance slider (it is not present in v5).

With Eovia interactive renderer (called "logiciel" in french) I get same display problems.
    But, good news : OpenGL seems better exploited because no glitter / jerk occur !
    Just one thing : lines looks dashed. Only plain line, when zoomed closely.

Now, I hope OpenGL is well in carrara 6 or his update 6.1

• Personally, I wouldn't worry about the dashed lines at a distance. It's probably a trade off between faster redraws (and smoother movement) and resolution. You may be able to correct for it a bit, but it may never fully go away.
  • Dashed lines do not disturb.

I notice that Carrara 8 takes ... 135 Go !?  ... is it possible or it's another Windows 10 bug ?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

It's a Windows issue,. false program size,. it happens in Win-XP, Win-7, Win-8, Win10

Carrara's install file is around 230 MB,.

• Ok, thanks, I don't know this issue about Windows.

I spoke a little too fast : there are still sometimes flicker with OpenGL frown
    ... but it happens rarely and doesn't disturb a lot.

Perhaps today I receive the book with Carrara 6 pro.

edited September 2015

I don't know if I could down-grade. In addition to the 64 bit version and bullet physics engine, C8 introduced IES lights, negative lights multiple leaf types for plants in the plant editor, sun beams, and a bunch of other stuff that escapes me at the moment.

• I received book today, but I'm unable to install Carrara 6 because serial numbers are missing.

Hope Daz3D will be able to help me ? ... I just post ticket via help page.

I'm not alone, basing to another Amazon commentary user (June 2009) :

Be aware that the publisher neglected to include the serial numbers for the software so you will have to contact Daz with your invoice

• Cela fonctionne, je peux utiliser le logiciel.
    Merci beaucoup !!

THANKS !!!!!

yes